Would you draft Oliver or Bosa?

Skins Malone

1 hour ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Any individual OL would likely be a Bosa, but this team has too many holes. 1st round game changers like Sammy? Watkins was drafted with the fourth overall pick after we traded our first round selection (the 9th pick), and first and fourth round selections in 2015.  Game changer, right! If we trade out of a top 5 pick, we wouldn't get a high 1st and use it on an OL. More likely a mid to lower 1st and a 2nd and 3rd or another 2nd in the next year. That's three value picks for a single gamble on another WR? Bad idea.

Since '86, the Bills 1/2 round picks of OL which I felt were worthy include Will Wolford, John Fina, Rueben Brown, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn, Dion Dawkins. The only huge miss was Mike Williams back in 2002. There are lots of misses on game- changing play-makers.

With the exception of the Eagles, the top 10 OLs in football all have at least one and most have two first round picks anchoring their lines. We can get mid-round and even late round gems to sprinkle in , but the line needs a foundation of talent. Badly. Smart teams get a franchise QB and then build from the inside out to protect and then exploit his skills. 

Picking one WR as the reason not to draft playmaker positions in the 1st round is a pretty weak argument.  In fact, if the Bills drafted OBJ, your argument evaporates.

LT just isn't that position, and it drafting them in the 1st has proven to be unnecessary.  Unless your offense (and defense) is already pretty stacked, you pick playmakers: QB, guys who catch passes from your current QB, or guys who hit the other team's QB.

An LT is part of a group.  Alone, he can't do a lot to keep your QB unmolested.  Joe Thomas was proof of this nearly every year he played in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Picking one WR as the reason not to draft playmaker positions in the 1st round is a pretty weak argument.  In fact, if the Bills drafted OBJ, your argument evaporates.

LT just isn't that position, and it drafting them in the 1st has proven to be unnecessary.  Unless your offense (and defense) is already pretty stacked, you pick playmakers: QB, guys who catch passes from your current QB, or guys who hit the other team's QB.

An LT is part of a group.  Alone, he can't do a lot to keep your QB unmolested.  Joe Thomas was proof of this nearly every year he played in Cleveland.

That’s my general philosophy. LT is the only exception to the rule and I think we already have one of those. I’d never use a top 10 pick on a different OL than LT and even then I’d hesitate. I want guys that can impact the game on their own. Pass rushers, QBs, CB and pass catchers. Those guys can either score or negate the passing game. Everyone else is along for the ride. We do need 3 or 4 new starting OL but you don’t need to take those guys at 1. I’d take 3 of them between rounds 2-5 and you’d probably have 3 starters.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s my general philosophy. LT is the only exception to the rule and I think we already have one of those. I’d never use a top 10 pick on a different OL than LT and even then I’d hesitate. I want guys that can impact the game on their own. Pass rushers, QBs, CBS and pass catchers. Those guys can either score or negate the passing game. Everyone else is along for the ride. We do need 3 or 4 new starting OL but you don’t needn’t to take those guys at 1. I’d take 3 of them between rounds 2-5 and you’d probably have 3 starters.

I agree.  Mediocre to bad teams make this mistake over and over....

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s my general philosophy. LT is the only exception to the rule and I think we already have one of those. I’d never use a top 10 pick on a different OL than LT and even then I’d hesitate. I want guys that can impact the game on their own. Pass rushers, QBs, CBS and pass catchers. Those guys can either score or negate the passing game. Everyone else is along for the ride. We do need 3 or 4 new starting OL but you don’t needn’t to take those guys at 1. I’d take 3 of them between rounds 2-5 and you’d probably have 3 starters.

I’d say at least 3 new starters, but 1-2 will come through FA. A really young offensive line is almost as dangerous as a bad OLine. And keep drafting, and I don’t mean Ed Wang (thought that was kind of fun, briefly). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He loves Trump so half of the board will love him and half hate him. 

Probably more than half of his board.  Personally, I don’t care about that as long as he isn’t obnoxious about it.  I would take Bosa and Kaepernick because I want the best non criminal team would can possible have.  The great thing about football is it takes a lot of different personalities to play and you become brothers despite your differences.

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Probably more than half of his board.  Personally, I don’t care about that as long as he isn’t obnoxious about it.  I would take Bosa and Kaepernick because I want the best non criminal team would can possible have.  The great thing about football is it takes a lot of different personalities to play and you become brothers despite your differences.

He’s pretty obnoxious about it. He’s a MAGA guy.

Oliver is a nice player but I would never use the number 1 overall pick on an interior d-lineman.  Bosa would make more sense.

BTW, maybe now we know why Beane was so adamant about holding on to our ‘19 first round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Is there any way we can take him with our first AND second pick?

That might cause a little backlash on the board. Some of the National media might not notice because they were too busy crucifying us for other things. Details get lost in blind hate.....

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Oliver is a nice player but I would never use the number 1 overall pick on an interior d-lineman.  Bosa would make more sense.

BTW, maybe now we know why Beane was so adamant about holding on to our ‘19 first round pick.

You wouldn’t take Aaron Donald 1st overall?

I absolutely would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

You wouldn’t take Aaron Donald 1st overall?

I absolutely would.

I love the idea of QB pressure AND run D, and from what little I’ve seen, he's that dominant. His plays behind the LOS, but then he chases back 20 yards - in a hurry!  Also, pressure up the middle in short passing games is quicker and very effective.

I need to watch more CFB, but I sense many on the board will be pissed when we start winning later in the year because we will waste draft position. They are angry to lose now, and will be angry to win later. In essence, they are just angry.  Does that sum it up? 

And don’t EVEN bring up comp picks!!!    ?

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Obviously you haven't been around as a Bills fan long enough.  Here's the way it works. The Bills are front-runners for the #1 pick all year.  They love and need Bosa. The season looks like a disaster then in meaningless December games when the Patriots and Dolphins are resting starters, we go and WIN!!!! Woo-hoo, we end up 4-12 and pick 3rd or 4th and both guys are off the board, so we grab the best OT and hope he pans out.

To the contrary. We'll fall to 3rd or 4th and take the best defensive player on the board.  Because the defensive genius we hired can't be a defensive genius without a defense full of studs.

Of course, in the 2nd, we'll have to take a CB, because they messed up the year before in FA'cy.

The observations of how bad the OL is will be put on a back burner because....

wait for it....

"you can always get those guys later in the draft."

So in the 5th round, we'll draft the 13th ranked OT or OG and people will be excited about the guy.

And he'll be expected to fill the 4 spots that need to be filled.

And next September...there will be talk about how bad the OL is until game 3, when people start watching the next defensive stud to take the following April.

Now THAT'S some last 20 years Bills' history.

Sure as the sunrise.

• Like (+1) 1

If there wasn't a trade down offer for a QB I would take either honestly Bosa but that's dependent on a lot of things that have yet to play out. But ideally I would love to see a trade down to a QB thirsty team if the Bills have a top pick. Preferably I would love to see the Bills get a top 10 pick while still netting a 2nd round pick in 2019, a 4th round pick in 2019 and a 1st and 3rd in 2020. That might seem like a lot but if rookie QB's are gold then the Bills can and should get a haul of picks. Drafting in the top 10 they could still land an impact player but adding an early 2nd and early 4th in 2019 would allow the Bills to address additional needs. The extra 1st and 3rd in 2020 sets up a second great draft while Allen would still be young and cheap.