Would you draft Oliver or Bosa?

Skins Malone

2 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Tired of seeing Josh Allen running for his life. I want a trade down and stock up on O-line and WR.

I lean toward offense as well. WR or OL. I would sign the best pass rusher in FA. Overpay if you need to. It is very difficult to sign a WR in FA with the current offense unless Josh is lighting it up at some point this season. Good FA WRs who aren’t one foot in retirement are near impossible to get to Buffalo. Other option is trading for a WR.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Haven't seen Oliver so I don't know, but Bosa looks great against top competition so I would be stoked to get him.

What principle ??

Unless they play QB, don’t burn any high draft picks on high motor lunch pailers, especially if they may be roidheads*. Better safe than sorry.

* to be fair, I haven’t studied him enough to determine if this is indeed the case here.:D

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

I would take Oliver due to the fact that he has played in every game (and started) in his career at Houston.

I like Bosa but the nagging injuries are a concern...those pumped up guys never seem to last. 

Side note: If we are the worst team at the end of the year and pick 1st overall, McBean better be ready to trade down (even a few times) and fill this rosters depth with good prospects/ starters.

He’s been hurt once in 3 years, the result of a weaponized, uncalled hold

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I lean toward offense as well. WR or OL. I would sign the best pass rusher in FA. Overpay if you need to. It is very difficult to sign a WR in FA with the current offense unless Josh is lighting it up at some point this season. Good FA WRs who aren’t one foot in retirement are near impossible to get to Buffalo. Other option is trading for a WR.

2 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Tired of seeing Josh Allen running for his life. I want a trade down and stock up on O-line and WR.

Can't argue here. If we can get solid trade down value go load up on OL/WR.  Apparently the 2019 FA wrs are weak.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s been hurt once in 3 years, the result of a weaponized, uncalled hold

Lets see how he holds up this year. That groin injury that took him out of the game last week will linger...I stand by my assessment that pumped up guys don't last long in the league...

Oliver has started every game since day one and has been a disruptive force up the middle ala Aaron Donald. 

Both players are difference makers, I'd prefer the guy that will push the middle of the pocket & be a playmaker in the running game.

4 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

Lets see how he holds up this year. That groin injury that took him out of the game last week will linger...I stand by my assessment that pumped up guys don't last long in the league...

Oliver has started every game since day one and has been a disruptive force up the middle ala Aaron Donald. 

Both players are difference makers, I'd prefer the guy that will push the middle of the pocket & be a playmaker in the running game.

What are pumped up guys?  And where is the evidence they dont.  Tons of guys in the league are jacked.  Edmunds is a monster.

If the choice is between Nick Bosa and Ed Oliver, I probably have to go with Bosa.

We need an edge rusher much more than a defensive tackle.

It's hard to make a determination at this point though.  How deep is this draft truly going to be, and what trade-down options would be available?

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

What are pumped up guys?  And where is the evidence they dont.  Tons of guys in the league are jacked.  Edmunds is a monster.

I'm referring to the weight room warriors/ measureable type...very seldom do they last. One exception is James Harrison (pretty sure that was chemically induced) but he has gotten away with it.

Bosa is on a very good team at OSU with many NFL talents in the rotation. Is he that dominate or is it the scheme? Oliver on the other hand, is the identity of the Houston defense who never leaves the field. That is why I chose him in this discussion.

Pumped up guys that I'm referring to are guys like : Tony Mandarich; Brian Bosworth; Mike Mamula; Aaron Maybin; Vernon Gholston; Aaron Curry;Courtney Brown...there are more. These guys, looked like tarzan in college and for whatever reason injuries, schemes or PED's shortened their careers.

That injury to Bosa that sideline him last week imo, will affect his play if OSU isn't patient with him...speed & power with a groin injury is not a good mix but time will reveal.

21 hours ago, BoldBully said:

Trade back with Oakland for there 2 first rounders and draft O-line and WR

I actually really like this idea, especially if Oaklands own pick is in or near the top 10 which it very much looks like is a strong possibility.  Then Oakland can get the pass rusher to replace Mack and we can focus on OL and WR like you said which for me are substantially bigger needs right now.  

Yes, be nice to get some pass rush help, but truthfully we have 2 young prospects developing on D right now in Edmunds and Phillips, but we have NOTHING developing on offense outside of Allen, and he needs help desperately if he will ever have a chance to succeed.  Our current WR's struggle getting open and separation, and our OL would struggle to block a college team let alone an NFL team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You won't get anywhere close to that unless some QB turns into the second coming this season.   Also, there aren't that many teams who will be desperate for a QB next draft.  It'll be a year of teams drafting the heir apparent, not the immediate starter.

yea you would, look at the draft chart,  1 to 20

jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to move up like 2 places lol.

Edited by BakersBills

23 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What if the O-line prospects aren't as good as Bosa?

The last 2 "future HOF" LTst the Bills draft were a TE and a @2nd rounder.

Save 1st round picks for game changers.  It's what smart teams do.

Any individual OL would likely be a Bosa, but this team has too many holes. 1st round game changers like Sammy? Watkins was drafted with the fourth overall pick after we traded our first round selection (the 9th pick), and first and fourth round selections in 2015.  Game changer, right! If we trade out of a top 5 pick, we wouldn't get a high 1st and use it on an OL. More likely a mid to lower 1st and a 2nd and 3rd or another 2nd in the next year. That's three value picks for a single gamble on another WR? Bad idea.

Since '86, the Bills 1/2 round picks of OL which I felt were worthy include Will Wolford, John Fina, Rueben Brown, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn, Dion Dawkins. The only huge miss was Mike Williams back in 2002. There are lots of misses on game- changing play-makers.

With the exception of the Eagles, the top 10 OLs in football all have at least one and most have two first round picks anchoring their lines. We can get mid-round and even late round gems to sprinkle in , but the line needs a foundation of talent. Badly. Smart teams get a franchise QB and then build from the inside out to protect and then exploit his skills.