Was This the Worst Free Agency in Team History?

Luka

2 hours ago, Luka said:

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

Edit: Forgot about the Star signing as well. Who can blame me?

Meh.  Glen played in only 16 games the last 2 seasons in Buffalo.  They were able to draft Edmunds with the pick.  If Edmunds is a stud (he looms rough so far), he will be far more valuable than a banged up LT.

AJ McCarron was a mercy killing.  It's amazing we got a decent pick for him.  He was a "veteran QB" who has, in the past 5 seasons, 3 more starts than I do.

The Coleman trade was an obvious bonehead move.

The rest I can't argue with

Keep asking the hard hitting questions Luka. Don't stop fighting the good fight. Something is in the water over there in Buffalo but damn everybody is optimistic to a fault. I like optimism. I hope we get to 6 wins this year. 8 the next, 3 after that "REBUILD WE NEED MORE TIIIIME", 12 after that when we draft a Julio Jones. That's my most optimistic vision of how Beane's process could turn out. And it feels generous.

Be nice if we could have a faster timeline.. I think I've seen it done before.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

What is the point of a post criticizing the process.  Type some fluff BS about how much cap space we will have and how we have drafted the leaders on both sides of the ball.  You know... before they have accomplished NOTHING.  

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

If Allen's the real deal, none of this means squat.

Whatever.  Very weak argument.  It's a team sport.  Not a one man show. 

Let's just hope he is avg at least.  So we can end this draft our frencheyes (tribute to Teef) BS. 

5 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Ask in January. 

Nah.  I'd rather ask during the season the FA were paid for. 

15 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm starting to get it. A track record of of sucking at free agents means we're going to crush it getting free agents the following year. 

Like if a CEO plummets his company the shareholders know he's gonna be great with more control and money. Happens all the time.

It's like if a McDonald's worker steals and eats too many cheeseburgers and you make him your manager.

It's like if Trent Richardson sucked year 1 he needs more carries.

Showing poor judgement thus far is really going to pay dividends in 2019 when it really matters.

stop.  you are gonna make these guys cry.  remember the process means we will win AFTER we lose many games. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh.  Glen played in only 16 games the last 2 seasons in Buffalo.  They were able to draft Edmunds with the pick.  If Edmunds is a stud (he looms rough so far), he will be far more valuable than a banged up LT.

AJ McCarron was a mercy killing.  It's amazing we got a decent pick for him.  He was a "veteran QB" who has, in the past 5 seasons, 3 more starts than I do.

The Coleman trade was an obvious bonehead move.

The rest I can't argue with

AJ McCarron to begin with wasn't a good call. I'd take a LOT of backup quarterbacks for this team, Glennon, KAEP!!!, Fitzyboy, Mark Sanchez, Teddy Bridgewater, Semen, Cody Kessler, Matt Moore, Hoyer, Schaub. 

Anybody that got hyped at AJ McCarron's "highlight" video that was essentially an AJ Green highlight video might have considered we don't have AJ Green??

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

Is that not the end of the season though? Suppose suddenly they turn this thing around and do real well the remainder of the year. Is this not jumping the gun?

I have not agreed with most decision they have made since the end of the last season.  So I am not patient.  But I hear you and hope you are right for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

What is the point of a post criticizing the process.  Type some fluff BS about how much cap space we will have and how we have drafted the leaders on both sides of the ball.  You know... before they have accomplished NOTHING.  

Whatever.  Very weak argument.  It's a team sport.  Not a one man show. 

Let's just hope he is avg at least.  So we can end this draft our frencheyes (tribute to Teef) BS. 

Nah.  I'd rather ask during the season the FA were paid for. 

stop.  you are gonna make these guys cry.  remember the process means we will win AFTER we lose many games. 

30 years from now we'll be damn glad Beane took us through a process and we're in the Superbowl.

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

I have not agreed with most decision they have made since the end of the last season.  So I am not patient.  But I hear you and hope you are right for sure. 

I see Woods and Richie the two hits of the season. Not good to start the off season out that way before the FA even begins. That is where my patience lies. They got hit a blow. Got who they could to fill in and now we got what we have.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

With regard to the bigger picture...does it really matter?  Wake me up when they bungle the draft and FA in 2019 when it really matters.

What time would you like me to set the alarm for? Will you want a fresh cup of coffee?

I think they can get the '19 draft right. Not so sure about '19 free agents.

Edit: they really need to hit on both because they've decimated the talent that was on the team.

Edited by snafu

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not sure what the point of this is.

This off-season was mostly about low key one year kinda rentals. Star and Murphy got decent contracts but by no means bad contracts. Star does what he does, takes up space. I’m sure there were cheaper options to do the same thing but McDermott had familiarity with him so he’s here. This is the problem here lately is everyone is looking too short sighted. 

The long term goal is to build a team of youngish talented players. Not high priced free agents. 

If you have an issue with the contracts to star and Murphy then my goodness imagine what superstar caliber players will cost.

Next year maybe they consider breaking the bank for those kinds of free agents but that wasn’t the plan this year. 

2018 is all about developing younger talent. Plain and simple. Allen and Edmonds and the other young guys. At the end of the season they’ll see what they have and as long as Allen progresses all season they’re in perfect shape next year to add elite level young talent again along with some top notch free agents to sprinkle in 

Let's think of this. Whaley did the process on steroids. Meaning he knew he had an elite defense, drafted a quarterback, got him weapons and a line as fast as I've ever seen. And failed cause EJ was a bust.

I'm okay with that because it was extremely quick and we moved on from EJ. Not saying Allen is a bust but I'd like to find out in less than 4 years because he needs about 8 good starters on offense.

Whaley failed very quickly. Beane has a chance of failing for so long that we could just waste 5 years of hope after a series of losing seasons worse than Juaron games/seasons.

That would crush my soul to the core.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Luka said:

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

Edit: Forgot about the Star signing as well. Who can blame me?

You ever go shopping with a couple of bucks? Can't really buy anything nice, especially if you're shopping in fancy stores. 

1 hour ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

$50million in dead cap cost pretty much drove the lack of FA success.  no money, no players. 

I'd prefer the offseason had they signed LITERALLY no players. Every single one of our FA acquisitions are liabilities going forward. 

The only thing that could make me doubt the process if we start playing well. 

This team was built to fail! The more epic the fail, the better the future! Don't you get it!

16 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

You ever go shopping with a couple of bucks? Can't really buy anything nice, especially if you're shopping in fancy stores. 

Then you should probably just stash that cash and call it a day. Or shoplift of course.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Superbowl teams are created in the draft. Not in free agency.

So, we signed a couple 1 year guys that didn't work out and traded a 7th round pick for someone who looked like he had upside... and got a 5th for a guy for essentially free.

Of course you're ready to give up on the other guys after 2 games. Keep crying, your tears are delicious. 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Every single one of our FA acquisitions are liabilities going forward. 

No, Star is the only player that is a liability going forward. Even Murphy can be walked away from without major damage.

Players like Davis, McCarron, Ivory, Kerley are literally 1-year bandages. None of them were ever part of the future plan for this team.

And the Bills will certainly be recouping their investment in Davis as well as a portion of his 2018 cap hit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

No, Star is the only player that is a liability going forward. Even Murphy can be walked away from without major damage.

Players like Davis, McCarron, Ivory, Kerley are literally 1-year bandages. None of them were ever part of the future plan for this team.

And the Bills will certainly be recouping their investment in Davis as well as a portion of his 2018 cap hit. 

When the best thing you can say about a free agent group is that only 1 of them is a future liability, it probably didn't go very well.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When the best thing you can say about a free agent group is that only 1 of them is a future liability, it probably didn't go very well.

I'm dispelling the ridiculous notion that "Every single one of our FA acquisitions are liabilities going forward." They aren't. 

So far I have no trust in Beane at any level. 

That said, Star may have more impact than we can tell.  It still does not excuse trading Dareus, accelerating the cap hit, and then overpaying for Star.  But when looking at it just from his play on the field Sta has been a competent 1 technique DT.  

I hated the PED Murphy signing and still do.  I have no idea how he fits the process other than cliche high motor white guy.  

I thought the Davis signing was a good move.  Solid vet with an injury that players can recover from.  My bad.  

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

My god man, how do you remember such detail? I mean, I’m impressed.

Personally, the Jauron years are when it all started turning into one big poop smoothie as far as the state of the franchise. And that was only ten years into The Drought! I had to kinda detach as a “follow every move” fan and just enjoy the tailgate and sundays at 1:00.

My memory is pretty solid, but this isn't the first time this a topic like this has come up and I've posted the same synopsis.  I went back and fact checked this sad episode in Bills history the first time and made sure my memory was consistent with what went down.

That dumpster fire of a team still almost beat the Patriots in the opener.  Game balls to Leodis for muffing the punt and lil Donte whose arms just weren't long enough to defend identical TD passes to TE Ben Watson.  

• Like (+1) 1