Was This the Worst Free Agency in Team History?

Luka

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

Edit: Forgot about the Star signing as well. Who can blame me?

Edited by Luka
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 2009 offseason fiasco may still have this one beat.  Trade Peters for picks.  Late on the paperwork to trade Dockery so wound up paying him a roster bonus and then released him for nothing.  Slide Langston Walker over from RT to LT.  When Walker struggles at LT we cut him days before the opener.  Promote DeMetress Bell to LT ahead the Thursday night opener.  Fire Schonert, promote AVP to offensive coordinator and abandon the uptempo, no huddle offense. 

But we did sign TO, Drayton Florence, Hangartner, and Fitzmagik, so I guess this FA period might be more futile. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

With regard to the bigger picture...does it really matter?  Wake me up when they bungle the draft and FA in 2019 when it really matters.

Allen and Edmunds don't matter to the big picture? Potential cap hits to next year and beyond don't matter?

Point was, this is already a disaster. If the draft doesn't pan out I think it may be our worst offseason in the history of the franchise.

Edited by Luka
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Questioning the necessity of this thread, considering the 6597 other threads of a similar nature.

The thread is fine. Your post is like a John Miller pass block. Fell flat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Luka said:

Allen and Edmunds don't matter to the big picture? Potential cap hits to next year and beyond don't matter?

Point was, this is already a disaster. If the draft doesn't pan out I think it may be our worst offseason in the history of the franchise.

...but you did not reference the 2018 draft in your OP, did you?  You referenced FA moves and trades.  I feel good about the 2018 draft right now.  I don’t feel so great about what they did in FA, but I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal.  I don’t expect this team to compete in 2018.

Again, wake me up if Beane flubs free agency in 2019 with 80+ million in cap space.  Then I’ll be as pissed as you are right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Other than Vontae, it's still too early to call.

I do remember 2006 being brutal, with names like Robert Royal, Tuten Reyes, and Melvin Fowler coming to town. They were trying to emulate the Pats, who signed a ton of low-level FA's that greatly contributed to their team. Thanks Marv. :thumbdown:

• Sad 1

CLEARLY they were gambling this offseason, knowing that with inexperienced QBs they would not fare too well this season. They had to have known 2019 is where they were going to really upgrade this team beyond the 2018 Draft. Look at New England... they HAVE a playoff team already and they gamble even now!!!

I'm good... this season is a lost year and 2019 is when we start winning more and more. We are like the 2017 Colts now.

It’s early but it looks awful. In addition to mistakes like Vontae they tied up space in Star and Murphy. Those are both going to end up being bad signings. I’m of the belief that you NEVER want to be the team paying mediocre players their second contract (if it is a decent size). You just cycle through those “average” players with affordable vets (think Preston Brown) or guys on their rookie deals (think Yarborough). You spend your cap space on stars. 

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Luka said:

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

This is a valid point to the extent that people are counting on 2019 fee agency to save this team and in evaluating whether McBeane can be trusted to make the appropriate free agency decisions.

Having said that, we will better be able to evaluate this issue after the season.

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The 2009 offseason fiasco may still have this one beat.  Trade Peters for picks.  Late on the paperwork to trade Dockery so wound up paying him a roster bonus and then released him for nothing.  Slide Langston Walker over from RT to LT.  When Walker struggles at LT we cut him days before the opener.  Promote DeMetress Bell to LT ahead the Thursday night opener.  Fire Schonert, promote AVP to offensive coordinator and abandon the uptempo, no huddle offense. 

But we did sign TO, Drayton Florence, Hangartner, and Fitzmagik, so I guess this FA period might be more futile. 

My god man, how do you remember such detail? I mean, I’m impressed.

Personally, the Jauron years are when it all started turning into one big poop smoothie as far as the state of the franchise. And that was only ten years into The Drought! I had to kinda detach as a “follow every move” fan and just enjoy the tailgate and sundays at 1:00.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Yikes.

$50million in dead cap cost pretty much drove the lack of FA success.  no money, no players. 

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Yikes.

Star

Davis

Murphy

Kerley

McCarron

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

Even if Murphy comes around that is an awful collection.    I mean the first 7 were all signed to compete for starting jobs.   ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Star

Davis

Murphy

Kerley

McCarron

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

Even if Murphy comes around that is an awful collection.    I mean the first 7 were all signed to compete for starting jobs.   ?

Kerley actually impressed me a little by being able to catch, not like our current crop. I really don't understand dropping him instead of someone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure what the point of this is.

This off-season was mostly about low key one year kinda rentals. Star and Murphy got decent contracts but by no means bad contracts. Star does what he does, takes up space. I’m sure there were cheaper options to do the same thing but McDermott had familiarity with him so he’s here. This is the problem here lately is everyone is looking too short sighted. 

The long term goal is to build a team of youngish talented players. Not high priced free agents. 

If you have an issue with the contracts to star and Murphy then my goodness imagine what superstar caliber players will cost.

Next year maybe they consider breaking the bank for those kinds of free agents but that wasn’t the plan this year. 

2018 is all about developing younger talent. Plain and simple. Allen and Edmonds and the other young guys. At the end of the season they’ll see what they have and as long as Allen progresses all season they’re in perfect shape next year to add elite level young talent again along with some top notch free agents to sprinkle in 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

With regard to the bigger picture...does it really matter?  Wake me up when they bungle the draft and FA in 2019 when it really matters.

I'm starting to get it. A track record of of sucking at free agents means we're going to crush it getting free agents the following year. 

Like if a CEO plummets his company the shareholders know he's gonna be great with more control and money. Happens all the time.

It's like if a McDonald's worker steals and eats too many cheeseburgers and you make him your manager.

It's like if Trent Richardson sucked year 1 he needs more carries.

Showing poor judgement thus far is really going to pay dividends in 2019 when it really matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3