Was This the Worst Free Agency in Team History?

Luka

5 hours ago, Luka said:

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

Edit: Forgot about the Star signing as well. Who can blame me?

Can we really rank the offseason moves in week 2? That's like ranking the draft directly after it's over imo, they don't look particularly great but if we still have these problems by wekk 13 I'd say yes, How can any team think a player will retire on them mid game, they took a chance on a player and misse, same with a 7th rounder for Coleman, are you really going to fault them for trying? I'm just saying saying this in week 2 seems very premature to me.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Other than Vontae, it's still too early to call.

I do remember 2006 being brutal, with names like Robert Royal, Tuten Reyes, and Melvin Fowler coming to town. They were trying to emulate the Pats, who signed a ton of low-level FA's that greatly contributed to their team. Thanks Marv. :thumbdown:

I try not to Sully (whoops, no pun intended) my overall memory of Marv by focusing too much on Marv’s GM tenure—still would’ve been happier if Wilson had granted Marv’s real wish of getting back on the sideline Instead of the FO, but in retrospect somehow i doubt the 2nd coaching go-around would’ve been as fun as the 1st...

Our old VP of Player Personnel Brian Gaine left to become Houston's new GM this past off-season. Dan Morgan was hired as his replacement. IMHO, that switch might have made a difference to our pro scouting. Perhaps Morgan is not as good at evaluating pro personnel? (but he, of course, has the obligatory ties to Carolina like all of our hires).

Edited by October 1918

I'm not even going to judge T Murphy until he's 100%. Davis certainly was a risk. I'd wager that they held back on purpose to set up next offseason when it really matters.

5 hours ago, QCity said:

No, Star is the only player that is a liability going forward. Even Murphy can be walked away from without major damage.

Players like Davis, McCarron, Ivory, Kerley are literally 1-year bandages. None of them were ever part of the future plan for this team.

And the Bills will certainly be recouping their investment in Davis as well as a portion of his 2018 cap hit. 

And I'm OK with Star as long as the run defense plays like it did in the 2nd half vs the Bolts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

With regard to the bigger picture...does it really matter?  Wake me up when they bungle the draft and FA in 2019 when it really matters.

It's a "win now" league and has been for quite a long time. 

Yet this administration has chosen to bin an entire season of football as part of a multi-year rebuild.

You seem to be taking the whole thing rather well.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Luka said:

I've been trying to come up with a worse offseason for free agency moves and trades but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Signed a CB who quit at halftime, signed a DE who has been hurt and still doesn't look to be up to speed, traded for a WR and cut him, signed a veteran QB then traded him last minute to keep Peterman... didn't address the departures of Incognito or Wood, in fact doubled down and traded Glenn as well...

I mean outside of the hope we have for Allen and Edmunds, this offseason was an absolute train wreck. And if they don't work out?

Yikes.

Edit: Forgot about the Star signing as well. Who can blame me?

I love when folks defending the team mention that they are professionals and not a bunch of amateur posters at TBD.

Fairly certain a few posters here could have pieced together a better off-season.

I wish I could give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they did it deliberately as part of a tank, but they already have their "franchise QB" and IMO, that is the only position you could justify tanking for.

So we're back to them just being straight up inept.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, QCity said:

I'm dispelling the ridiculous notion that "Every single one of our FA acquisitions are liabilities going forward." They aren't. 

Ok. Murphy and Star were the two guys they paid. They're both liabilities and not assets IF THEY REMAIN ON THE TEAM going forward. 

Better?

I have no faith in the direction of the current regime. The playoff appearance was great but this year we are historically bad, and we have so many holes. There is no quick turnaround coming. Murphy, Star and Benjaimin look anywhere from bad to terrible.  The mccarron and peterman decision was a disaster. We didn't draft a wr. We stockpiled draftpicks then spent them trading up for raw prospects when good qbs and lbs would  have been on the board at our pick. Allen looking decent is the only saving grace. I'll give mcbeane their time but my enthusiasm is at an all time low.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Luka said:

Allen and Edmunds don't matter to the big picture? Potential cap hits to next year and beyond don't matter?

Point was, this is already a disaster. If the draft doesn't pan out I think it may be our worst offseason in the history of the franchise.

You are overly dramatic.  Your expectations were way too high.  Relax and enjoy the rebuilding process. 

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

...but you did not reference the 2018 draft in your OP, did you?  You referenced FA moves and trades.  I feel good about the 2018 draft right now.  I don’t feel so great about what they did in FA, but I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal.  I don’t expect this team to compete in 2018.

Again, wake me up if Beane flubs free agency in 2019 with 80+ million in cap space.  Then I’ll be as pissed as you are right now.

That pretty much nails it.

1. Feel good draft 2018

2. Horrible cap space issues in 2018 from Whaley era

3. People we brought in FA were pre-retirement waves, and we had little space for last minute adjustments

4. We overpaid on Vontae Davis, Star, etc. - though at least Star is most of our inside run defense at the moment if nothing else...but we never truly intended to contend for a playoff spot this year nor even last year until Week 8

5. 2019 FA with $80 mil, likely a top 5 draft pick, and the intention to not compete in 2018 and build for the future? 

Sold.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd prefer the offseason had they signed LITERALLY no players. Every single one of our FA acquisitions are liabilities going forward. 

The only thing that could make me doubt the process if we start playing well. 

This team was built to fail! The more epic the fail, the better the future! Don't you get it!

Then you should probably just stash that cash and call it a day. Or shoplift of course.

Agreed, McBeane was shopping in the clearance rack. Those items are there for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone asked the obvious question?  What does it mean for comp picks next year? ?

23 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Agreed, McBeane was shopping in the clearance rack. Those items are there for a reason. 

It's almost like they donated their Armani suits to charity then had to shop at the Goodwill for replacements and were surprised at the lack of quality available.  Huh.  Who knew.?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Has anyone asked the obvious question?  What does it mean for comp picks next year? ?

It's almost like they donated their Armani suits to charity then had to shop at the Goodwill for replacements and were surprised at the lack of quality available.  Huh.  Who knew.?

That's actually a really good point...

I dunno though, it would have to be a pretty good number to make all of this worthwhile.