Sporting News article - Are Bills in fact rudderless?

KOKO NFL

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Step 1:  Get the team out of our salary cap mess.  Check.

Step 2:  Acquire your franchise QB.  Check, but TBD.  Drafting a QB in the top 10 is a step in the right direction.

Step 3:  Through the draft and FA, fortify the “trenches” and bolster the skill position players.  This will happen in 2019.

Seems like the rebuild is happening as scheduled.  I think making the playoffs last year surprised even Beane and McD, and I think the fan base got a false sense that we would be ready to compete this year.

I believe in what Beane and McDermott are doing.

You saved me a lot of typing! ?

Looks like we’re right on track if you’re paying attention. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Beane didn't draft White or Jones. I'm not going to give him credit for a draft he wasn't even employed for.

The article refers to total management and McD was there for that draft.

Chemical, we will of course see how all these picks turn out.  But Jones looks like he's starting to get it, and hopefully does more with Allen throwing the ball

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure Beane doesn't have any big-picture plan at all. Probably gets up each day and consults tarot cards for what player he should acquire or get rid of and whether or not to follow through on it.

You might not agree with what he is doing; however, something tells me he does have a big-picture plan. Whether or not it works is something we will not know for awhile - and, no, IMO, it doesn't have to get worse in 2019.

Plenty of intelligent and well intentioned people have plans that they don’t do particularly well following. Especially when you get a lot of voices in the room.

Blah, blah, blah.....  This is the easy media take on the Bills when they lose. Worst team in the NFL, rudderless, etc. whatever phrase they make to generate clicks. The only way to change the narrative is to improve and win. Next two games will be tough so prepare for more of the same from the media. By the end of the season, I think Allen will be turning heads with he plays he will make. Bean and McD have a plan I'm sure and I feel more confidant about them leading the Bills than any GM/coach combo since the coach Marv days. 

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They're looking at the situation from the outside, like the rest of us, and may actually know less than some on this board.  I say this because there was no one from OBD, or players on the team, quoted in the article.  It appears to be an opinion piece; they are saying nothing different than the rest of the national media.

Vontae Davis knew he was signing with a team that was going to have a rough time of it, especially early in the season.  His fault for not signing elsewhere, or retiring after last season.

In february- did he know that? If sold on us getting a vet and rookie qb, and spending on a couple free agents plus a boat load of picks...

i don’t think a single poster or bills employee expect this offseason or start back in January. 

It’s strange to me that somehow much of the offseason I felt among the most negative for thinking we were a below 500 team and now so many people are pulling the “well yea obviously this was going to be a train wreck but that’s by design and there was no other choice” card

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

People are criticizing their drafting?

White:  lock down CB set for a while 

Dawkins:  LT set for a while

Jones:  starting to come around, should give us a #2 or slot WR for a while

Phillips:  Anchors the D line as the young Kyle

Edmunds:  Incredible athlete, gives McD his MLB (and yes, Rivers schooled him and 20 year olds learn)

Allen:  potential long term answer at QB; how many folks howled for the Bills to finally go all in and get a QB?

Johnson:  slot CB

Teller:  depth at G and hopefully matures into a starter

Ray Ray: Slot WR

Thry may have not gotten the best FAs this year.  That you can criticize.  But drafting?

I agree, their drafting is fine - I think what people are more criticizing is the strategy, eg trading lots of picks to move up and taking high ceiling/low floor guys

That doesn't bother me in the draft, personally, but I worry it's a trait that's also showing in FA evaluation, where it doesn't belong

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, their drafting is fine - I think what people are more criticizing is the strategy, eg trading lots of picks to move up and taking high ceiling/low floor guys

That doesn't bother me in the draft, personally, but I worry it's a trait that's also showing in FA evaluation, where it doesn't belong

The trade up for Jones was a negative.  Those for Allen and Edmunds hopefully got them their leaders for years to come.  So I'm good with those.

I would rather they keep lower round picks vs. trading for guys like Coleman.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

The trade up for Jones was a negative.  Those for Allen and Edmunds hopefully got them their leaders for years to come.  So I'm good with those.

I would rather they keep lower round picks vs. trading for guys like Coleman.

I don't mind giving up a 7th 2 years from now, but I didn't like giving up $3.5M (now $2.9M) for a guy we cut in a month.  That felt like a failure of pre-trade "due diligence".

That article is pretty much a sign of the times.  Give poor behavior a pass.  Excuse it away.  Sometimes doing the right thing is hard.  Davis can quit and it’s ok because the Buffalo Bills deserve it for things that happened years ago.   Was being a playoff team last year a problem too?  

Nevermind that Davis is aveteran and signed a $5M deal that he chose not to honor in the worst way.  Never mind that the Coach allowed him to make the team, even when his practice and preseason play  were below par.   McDermott honored Davis veteran status, paid him fairly, yet this is the Bills fault.   Davis can make McDermott look bad and given today’s way of thinking he gets supporters. 

I have been following sports, especially football, a long time.  Seen every franchise struggle for long periods.  Todays media like to poke those that are down.  It’s part of the humor that fits the times I guess.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't mind giving up a 7th 2 years from now, but I didn't like giving up $3.5M (now $2.9M) for a guy we cut in a month.  That felt like a failure of pre-trade "due diligence".

Beane tends to look for these type guys hoping they turn it around.  Guys like Coleman you can wait till they get cut.  

.Im just waiting until next year to see if they build around this kid like the Rams did for Goff.  They talk about process but what is it?  Is it like a 10 year plan?  I get what they are trying to do and have done.  I just don't know if they can actually build a team or not,

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Untrue, actually.  Viking ships didn't have rudders at the stern, but they had a steering oar affixed to the right or starboard side of the ship"

"In the Viking Age, the rudder on ships and boats sat on the starboard side (the name deriving from styrbord, the Norse term the boards (planks) in the side where you steer the boat, hence, steering-board). This gave rise to some challenges, one of which was the shape of the rudder; the other was the manner in which the rudder could be attached to the ship." 

(apparently, hemp rope won't work; withies are required)

Never say TBD isn't educational

Well then I guess we need to run more plays to the right since that is the way to glory or Valhalla!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KOKO NFL said:

As per Sporting News, are the Bills in fact rudderless, making contradictory moves

seemingly without a plan? Does Beane really know what he's doing? (With due respect, the Pegulas have demonstrated they do not).

Thoughts?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/vontae-davis-retirement-halftime-buffalo-bills-week-2/15xlnsikkoz74zn3gztcnn25p

My thought? There are few if any leaks from One Bills Drive now.