Sporting News article - Are Bills in fact rudderless?

KOKO NFL

1 hour ago, KOKO NFL said:

As per Sporting News, are the Bills in fact rudderless, making contradictory moves

seemingly without a plan? Does Beane really know what he's doing? (With due respect, the Pegulas have demonstrated they do not).

Thoughts?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/vontae-davis-retirement-halftime-buffalo-bills-week-2/15xlnsikkoz74zn3gztcnn25p

I think it is a little pre-mature to throw in the towel. Both McDermott and Beane were handed a mess from the previous regime(s). Major personnel changes take several years...we knew that this would be a process the moment that they let Tyrod Taylor go without replacing him with an experienced veteran.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I've only been saying this for months. It's so apparent Beane doesn't have a big picture plan for the Bills. They're so going in two directions which they can't easily change because they'd have to be worse in 2019 to fix it.

Just think about it. If the get young in 2019 that means Clay, Shady, Hughes, Benjamin, Kyle and Zo will be gone. That's your vet leadership. So they'll need 3 Oline and 2 or 3 Dline, receivers, a true number 1 TE and probably 2 LBers and a boundary CB. It's too much to solve in one offseason. Also they'll have to over spend to get players to come here again ballooning the cap. They aren't making decisions and that's my problem with Beane. That and he looks like a Donahoe school drafter.

Losing Clay and Benjamin isnt a huge deal. Shady, he is still a great back but on the wrong side of 30. RB’s are a dime a dozen. The 2 leaders we are truly losing is Williams and Zo- next man up thou.

If this team continues to demonstrate a lack of effort, you may see a change in leadership sooner than people think.

I noticed it in the 3rd preseason game. I noticed it for the majority of the first two regular season games. That's a sign a coach has lost the team. There's plenty of time to improve, but I think Pegula could easily pull the plug if there isn't improvement THIS year.

You can live with the piss poor results if you believe a successful plan is in place. You cannot live with a loss of control.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

No ****.  If all goes well it'll take 2 or 3 before they could potentially compete for a championship.

How long as Jax been trying to build around Bortles?

The regime that drafted Bortles is not there now when the Jags are good...

This is the question.. Will McD and Beane still be here when the team gets turned around?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

No ****.  If all goes well it'll take 2 or 3 before they could potentially compete for a championship.

How long as Jax been trying to build around Bortles?

It won't be 2 or 3 years from now, it will be 2 or 3 years from 2019. This year is wasted without clear direction. They're not young and they're not talented. It's a lost year where they could have gotten young. They made bad signings this offseason and those players are just wasted cap space. Star is a wasted signing. Murphy is a wasted signing. When they're good enough to win both will be gone. Why sign them is you're building for long term success? Because they weren't building for long term. They thought they'd win this year. With this roster. Trading for KB is a waste of a roster spot. They could have used that money on a young linemen. They're building two teams at once and it never works that way. Rudderless, is the correct term.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Losing Clay and Benjamin isnt a huge deal. Shady, he is still a great back but on the wrong side of 30. RB’s are a dime a dozen. The 2 leaders we are truly losing is Williams and Zo- next man up thou.

Couldn't agree with this more.  McCoy has had a great career but the Bills have entirely too much money tied up in this position.  By my rough count McCoy has four 100 yard rushing performances in his last 20 regular season and playoff games.  This O-line hasn't helped him at all but you definitely need more production if you're gonna lay out that kind of money.

We're on a raft. Don't need a rudder. It's called a process. The national media and football world and half of TBD are to dumb to know that this soggy raft can.. maybe help us fish if we tether to the dock. But don't bring too much beer or ppl. Too much weight will sink it

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I've only been saying this for months. It's so apparent Beane doesn't have a big picture plan for the Bills. They're so going in two directions which they can't easily change because they'd have to be worse in 2019 to fix it.

Just think about it. If the get young in 2019 that means Clay, Shady, Hughes, Benjamin, Kyle and Zo will be gone. That's your vet leadership. So they'll need 3 Oline and 2 or 3 Dline, receivers, a true number 1 TE and probably 2 LBers and a boundary CB. It's too much to solve in one offseason. Also they'll have to over spend to get players to come here again ballooning the cap. They aren't making decisions and that's my problem with Beane. That and he looks like a Donahoe school drafter.

Great call on the Donahoe esque draft picks. Both Beane and Donahoe appear to value "character" over talent. There's only anecdotal evidence, but it sure as hell seems to be the case.

I remember our fearsome defensive lines of Tiny Tim Anderson, Ryan Denney, & Chris Kelsay and fear this regime is headed down the same path of self destruction.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Step 1:  Get the team out of our salary cap mess.  Check.

Step 2:  Acquire your franchise QB.  Check, but TBD.  Drafting a QB in the top 10 is a step in the right direction.

Step 3:  Through the draft and FA, fortify the “trenches” and bolster the skill position players.  This will happen in 2019.

Seems like the rebuild is happening as scheduled.  I think making the playoffs last year surprised even Beane and McD, and I think the fan base got a false sense that we would be ready to compete this year.

I believe in what Beane and McDermott are doing.

I keep seeing this, but can you point to one solid FA next year for either line? A lot of the slim pickings are already getting resigned. You might be able to grab a couple guys on their way out for a year, but that's a stretch. The trenches will have to be fortified through the draft unfortunately. 

33 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Couldn't agree with this more.  McCoy has had a great career but the Bills have entirely too much money tied up in this position.  By my rough count McCoy has four 100 yard rushing performances in his last 20 regular season and playoff games.  This O-line hasn't helped him at all but you definitely need more production if you're gonna lay out that kind of money.

I believe this is his last year of his deal? Maybe 1 more. Regardless, your right- we need more out of our backs and receivers. That isnt going to happen this year, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

We're on a raft. Don't need a rudder. It's called a process. The national media and football world and half of TBD are to dumb to know that this soggy raft can.. maybe help us fish if we tether to the dock. But don't bring too much beer or ppl. Too much weight will sink it

Can I bring 'Wilson' the volleyball?

• Haha (+1) 2

People are criticizing their drafting?

White:  lock down CB set for a while 

Dawkins:  LT set for a while

Jones:  starting to come around, should give us a #2 or slot WR for a while

Phillips:  Anchors the D line as the young Kyle

Edmunds:  Incredible athlete, gives McD his MLB (and yes, Rivers schooled him and 20 year olds learn)

Allen:  potential long term answer at QB; how many folks howled for the Bills to finally go all in and get a QB?

Johnson:  slot CB

Teller:  depth at G and hopefully matures into a starter

Ray Ray: Slot WR

Thry may have not gotten the best FAs this year.  That you can criticize.  But drafting?

They have a plan.  They have 10 picks and a ton of cash.   They want football players; by going after non flashy FAs (maybe one or two major ines) and with the next draft they can get things going quickly.   

They wanted to compete short and long term.  Last year the plan worked exactly as hoped for.  This year may not, at least the short term part.

Their success or failure will come from how good they are at picking the right guys, like every other team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KOKO NFL said:

As per Sporting News, are the Bills in fact rudderless, making contradictory moves

seemingly without a plan? Does Beane really know what he's doing? (With due respect, the Pegulas have demonstrated they do not).

Thoughts?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/vontae-davis-retirement-halftime-buffalo-bills-week-2/15xlnsikkoz74zn3gztcnn25p

God forbid that anyone should criticize the sacred cows otherwise known as McBeane.

Hey, we are just two games out of first place.  What are these guys complaining about?!?

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Well viking ships didn't have rudders but as long as they all rowed to the beat of of the drum they still got to their destination and proceeded to rape and pillage.  

Untrue, actually.  Viking ships didn't have rudders at the stern, but they had a steering oar affixed to the right or starboard side of the ship"

"In the Viking Age, the rudder on ships and boats sat on the starboard side (the name deriving from styrbord, the Norse term the boards (planks) in the side where you steer the boat, hence, steering-board). This gave rise to some challenges, one of which was the shape of the rudder; the other was the manner in which the rudder could be attached to the ship." 

(apparently, hemp rope won't work; withies are required)

Never say TBD isn't educational

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2