Sporting News article - Are Bills in fact rudderless?

KOKO NFL

As per Sporting News, are the Bills in fact rudderless, making contradictory moves

seemingly without a plan? Does Beane really know what he's doing? (With due respect, the Pegulas have demonstrated they do not).

Thoughts?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/vontae-davis-retirement-halftime-buffalo-bills-week-2/15xlnsikkoz74zn3gztcnn25p

They're looking at the situation from the outside, like the rest of us, and may actually know less than some on this board.  I say this because there was no one from OBD, or players on the team, quoted in the article.  It appears to be an opinion piece; they are saying nothing different than the rest of the national media.

Vontae Davis knew he was signing with a team that was going to have a rough time of it, especially early in the season.  His fault for not signing elsewhere, or retiring after last season.

• Like (+1) 1

A year or two down the road it might be proven that Beane is the smartest guy in the room for what he’s doing now with this roster.  At the moment, however, he is looking the polar opposite of that.  

I’m certainly willing to give this staff the benefit of the doubt that they will start righting the ship this upcoming offseason.  If not, they don’t see the spring of 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

So what's the pass mark next year that guarantees them the 2020 season?

Back to 8-8?

In that case they are going to need to hit on some draft picks and free agents March- April 2019...

Got nothing against McBeane... just saying that its not going to be easy turning this around..

I've only been saying this for months. It's so apparent Beane doesn't have a big picture plan for the Bills. They're so going in two directions which they can't easily change because they'd have to be worse in 2019 to fix it.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

So what's the pass mark next year that guarantees them the 2020 season?

Back to 8-8?

In that case they are going to need to hit on some draft picks and free agents March- April 2019...

Got nothing against McBeane... just saying that its not going to be easy turning this around..

Just think about it. If the get young in 2019 that means Clay, Shady, Hughes, Benjamin, Kyle and Zo will be gone. That's your vet leadership. So they'll need 3 Oline and 2 or 3 Dline, receivers, a true number 1 TE and probably 2 LBers and a boundary CB. It's too much to solve in one offseason. Also they'll have to over spend to get players to come here again ballooning the cap. They aren't making decisions and that's my problem with Beane. That and he looks like a Donahoe school drafter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I've only been saying this for months. It's so apparent Beane doesn't have a big picture plan for the Bills. They're so going in two directions which they can't easily change because they'd have to be worse in 2019 to fix it.

I'm sure Beane doesn't have any big-picture plan at all. Probably gets up each day and consults tarot cards for what player he should acquire or get rid of and whether or not to follow through on it.

You might not agree with what he is doing; however, something tells me he does have a big-picture plan. Whether or not it works is something we will not know for awhile - and, no, IMO, it doesn't have to get worse in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

Step 1:  Get the team out of our salary cap mess.  Check.

Step 2:  Acquire your franchise QB.  Check, but TBD.  Drafting a QB in the top 10 is a step in the right direction.

Step 3:  Through the draft and FA, fortify the “trenches” and bolster the skill position players.  This will happen in 2019.

Seems like the rebuild is happening as scheduled.  I think making the playoffs last year surprised even Beane and McD, and I think the fan base got a false sense that we would be ready to compete this year.

I believe in what Beane and McDermott are doing.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Just think about it. If the get young in 2019 that means Clay, Shady, Hughes, Benjamin, Kyle and Zo will be gone. That's your vet leadership. So they'll need 3 Oline and 2 or 3 Dline, receivers, a true number 1 TE and probably 2 LBers and a boundary CB. It's too much to solve in one offseason. Also they'll have to over spend to get players to come here again ballooning the cap. They aren't making decisions and that's my problem with Beane. That and he looks like a Donahoe school drafter.

Agree with 3 O Line - say 2 FA and one in the draft....

1 WR in FA and 1 in the Draft

TE, DE, and CB probably in draft...

LB in FA

Lots of holes...

Just because they have the money to spend in FA doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to fill the gaps with quality....

They might keep Shady next year if they lose those others which is probable...

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure Beane doesn't have any big-picture plan at all. Probably gets up each day and consults tarot cards for what player he should acquire or get rid of and whether or not to follow through on it.

You might not agree with what he is doing; however, something tells me he does have a big-picture plan. Whether or not it works is something we will not know for awhile - and, no, IMO, it doesn't have to get worse in 2019.

I don't think he looks at tarot cards. I think he's on the job training. I also think he drafts talented athletes and not football players. Both of those things equals players who will be good after they leave Buffalo.

Edited by CuddyDark

15 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

No ****.  If all goes well it'll take 2 or 3 before they could potentially compete for a championship.

How long as Jax been trying to build around Bortles?

Just now, CuddyDark said:

I don't think he looks at tarot cards. I think he's on the job training. I also think he draft talented athletes and not football players. Both of those things equals players who will be good after they leave Buffalo.

He certainly is learning on the job, as anyone else in their first year on the job. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he is doing. He has had one draft. It is impossible to know, two games into their rookie seasons, if the individuals he drafted are "football players" or not. 

Im ready for some RayRay.

Bills can still turn this around. The start of this season was always going to be brutal. The second half gets a little easier.

I dont think we are as bad as we have looked through 2. Plus we had a string of 3 really terrible games last year but then we righted the ship.

Long season boys, its to early to throw in the towel!

• Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Step 1:  Get the team out of our salary cap mess.  Check.

Step 2:  Acquire your franchise QB.  Check, but TBD.  Drafting a QB in the top 10 is a step in the right direction.

Step 3:  Through the draft and FA, fortify the “trenches” and bolster the skill position players.  This will happen in 2019.

Seems like the rebuild is happening as scheduled.  I think making the playoffs last year surprised even Beane and McD, and I think the fan base got a false sense that we would be ready to compete this year.

I believe in what Beane and McDermott are doing.

i think what a lot are missing is that beane is building in tiers so that salary cap hell doesn't rain down upon us. now in order to keep guys after the rookie gig, ya gotta have the money. he's doing it so that each year we have only so much to worry about.  some decisions have certainly sent up red flags, but i'm gonna roll with the above.

also, bring back levi wallace. within 3-4 weeks, we will have another cover corner opposite tre'd. jmgmo

15 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Im ready for some RayRay.

Bills can still turn this around. The start of this season was always going to be brutal. The second half gets a little easier.

I dont think we are as bad as we have looked through 2. Plus we had a string of 3 really terrible games last year but then we righted the ship.

Long season boys, its to early to throw in the towel!

this reminds me of not too long ago, the running game sucked at the start but got turned around. hopefully josh will loosen things up a bit so dabol can do his quick hit magic.

then we go on a 2nd half winning streak. we can still do it.

• Like (+1) 1