Sporting News article - Are Bills in fact rudderless?

KOKO NFL

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Plenty of intelligent and well intentioned people have plans that they don’t do particularly well following. Especially when you get a lot of voices in the room.

I absolutely agree with you. My points were (1) Beane most definitely has a plan and (2) we have no idea at this point how it will turn out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane has a plan, he’s made mistakes that stand out big time but he has a plan. The margin for error is small though so those mistakes are magnified. We don’t know if the plan will pay off, but at least he’s swinging hard for the fence.  The personnel mistakes made so far won’t hurt next year and even the best off season moves would not have made this team a playoff contender this year. 

I think McDermitt is a good motivator. The way the defense came out at halftime is a testament to that, they were fired up.  Last year was a test I ate to that too, they won 9 games and made the playoffs with a team that had limited talent. You could see how fired up they were last year, the third down run by Taiwan comes to mind, he was playing hard and the way the team rallied around him was really impressive. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Overdue Bill said:

I think it is a little pre-mature to throw in the towel. Both McDermott and Beane were handed a mess from the previous regime(s). Major personnel changes take several years...we knew that this would be a process the moment that they let Tyrod Taylor go without replacing him with an experienced veteran.

They got to the playoffs in year one with mostly talent from the previous regime(s).  Once they went all in on their own talent, the wheels fell off.  Hopefully we can get them re attached.

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

The regime that drafted Bortles is not there now when the Jags are good...

This is the question.. Will McD and Beane still be here when the team gets turned around?

"A coach that is rebuilding is rebuilding for the next coach that comes in." - -Bill Parcells

7 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Couldn't agree with this more.  McCoy has had a great career but the Bills have entirely too much money tied up in this position.  By my rough count McCoy has four 100 yard rushing performances in his last 20 regular season and playoff games.  This O-line hasn't helped him at all but you definitely need more production if you're gonna lay out that kind of money.

this is precisely the time Coach McDermott showed up. Coincidence?

Edited by reddogblitz

The national media always does this. They get a very shallow analysis by someone that doesn't follow the team and everyone else just pukes up the same crap. Some will try to be different by throwing someone else under the bus like calling McDermott a racist when he and Beane just enjoyed an MVP season from Cam. That jerk at the NY Post needs to give a MUCH better explanation or give McDermott an apology.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The trade up for Jones was a negative.  Those for Allen and Edmunds hopefully got them their leaders for years to come.  So I'm good with those.

I would rather they keep lower round picks vs. trading for guys like Coleman.

Remember -- That was Waley's draft when they traded up for Jones. McD certainly had some input like every HC does, but Beane hadn't even been hired yet. Also, a HC doesn't watch all that tape like a GM does. He just tells the GM what he wants and the GM goes by his board.

Edited by GreggTX

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't mind giving up a 7th 2 years from now, but I didn't like giving up $3.5M (now $2.9M) for a guy we cut in a month.  That felt like a failure of pre-trade "due diligence".

Wait a minute, I thought the pats took on that burden.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Wait a minute, I thought the pats took on that burden.

My understanding is that the Bills inherited the guaranteed portion of his salary, so when the cut him, they were on the hook for it.  I don't think this is costing the Pats much.

EDIT:  Looks like he's there on a 1-year, $630,000 deal.

Edited by Gugny

When the HC chooses his QB based on religion, we are in fact rudderless. McD has an affinity for Peterman based off of his religion. 

It doesnt work in politics and it doesn’t work in football. Keep Jesus on the bench

Edited by Gigs

I'm proud to be a Bills fan because of everything it means to me.....but some of you on this board make me ashamed to be put in the same category as you in regards to how other fans view us. The table breaking b.s., the ignorance of how people are treated at games, and the kinds of things I don't want my little girl to see or believe is how you can be a passionate fan for a team. But, this takes the cake of total lack of perspective and misery. 

The team was a two year rebuild right? With the 3rd year showing real promise and pushing for the playoffs, right? Yet, in their FIRST season they make the playoffs - albeit with help but they still had to be in that position regardless - and in two games, people are ready to run them out of town? Or "put them on notice" as if this year will determine their fate or even next year. Some of you must just be too young to appreciate what real vision looks like. Culture change is NOT an easy thing to accomplish, unless it's a negative one - that can happen quickly. It will take......time. I've said it before, but if the two years were reversed, with last year being ugly and this year making a push for the playoffs, would anyone be ready to call for their jobs? I highly doubt it. They broke the curse. They definitely have a vision for what their looking to accomplish. Now, if it works - we'll see, but they have a direction and a plan to get there. With that, and the playoffs last year after all the years of futility behind us - they get 5 years. Period. 

19 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm proud to be a Bills fan because of everything it means to me.....but some of you on this board make me ashamed to be put in the same category as you in regards to how other fans view us. The table breaking b.s., the ignorance of how people are treated at games, and the kinds of things I don't want my little girl to see or believe is how you can be a passionate fan for a team. But, this takes the cake of total lack of perspective and misery. 

The team was a two year rebuild right? With the 3rd year showing real promise and pushing for the playoffs, right? Yet, in their FIRST season they make the playoffs - albeit with help but they still had to be in that position regardless - and in two games, people are ready to run them out of town? Or "put them on notice" as if this year will determine their fate or even next year. Some of you must just be too young to appreciate what real vision looks like. Culture change is NOT an easy thing to accomplish, unless it's a negative one - that can happen quickly. It will take......time. I've said it before, but if the two years were reversed, with last year being ugly and this year making a push for the playoffs, would anyone be ready to call for their jobs? I highly doubt it. They broke the curse. They definitely have a vision for what their looking to accomplish. Now, if it works - we'll see, but they have a direction and a plan to get there. With that, and the playoffs last year after all the years of futility behind us - they get 5 years. Period. 

You have to remember the times we live in.  In the age of the Internet people are now accustomed to getting things right now.  Patience as a virtue has been lost in today's society.  As evidence look not only to the calls for McD and Beane to be fired right after a playoff year, but to the posts already saying we may need to draft another QB next year based on, you guessed it, one game from Allen.  Just remember such posts likely come from those who get irritated if they are in the Starbucks drive through for more than 2 minutes.

Saying the Bills are rudderless is just an article from some guy that has to fill copy every 24 hours or so.  The article is just opinion with no actual digging to see what may or may not go on; essentially a regurgitation of old stuff.  Plus theu guy (typically for national media who don't really follow the team) mixes up moves made over three different management groups and two owners.  So take the article with a big grain of salt.

Now, are Beane and McD completely off the hook?  No.  While they clearly have a plan, and part of that plan is to get the kinds of players they think they can win with and jettison guys they think are not that (and overpaid to boot), the plan is risky.  They took a massive cap hit this year, much from prior bloated contracts but some they did to themselves.  And they have to answer to the owner for mistakes such as Peterman, Coleman, and especially why their team came out with no answers in the  first half two games in a row - that speaks to preparation and that is all on McD.  They have a lot of cap space next year plus draft picks, and it is on them to use those wisely.  If they don't, again it's on them and that could jeopardize their positions if they don't.

But rudderless?  Because some guy decides to quit in the middle of the game?  And because some writer decides to write a hit piece?  Hardly.

• Thank you (+1) 1