Vlad Ducasse...NFLs best pass blocker?

CDogg20

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So he never gets pressures and sacks attributed against him even though he continually gets beat and knocked back because his linemates are so bad their opponents get to our qbs first? Is this what I am supposed to glean?

Um ... did you watch his play in the SD game? I did. He was basically rock solid.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Rams brought in two offensive linemen last year to help out Goff. And they also added quality receivers. I'm hoping that with our cap space and full complement of picks help can be brought in to support the qb. 

This HOF qb was magnificent. A good bar room discussion is whether the Chargers got the better of the deal when they traded with the Giants in that draft that got the New Yorkers Eli. Although Eli has garnered two SB wins I believe that Rivers is the better qb. 

On the other hand Rivers constant chirping sometimes gets on my nerves and sometimes makes me laugh.  

Rivers is definitely better. I will go to my grave thinking that the worst loss I've seen is the 14-2 chargers' loss to NE in the 2006 playoffs. The Chargers absolutely dominated them, and then bizarrely lost it on Mcree's fumble after he made a 4th down int near the end of the game. The game would have been over if he just took a knee. SD had Indy's number and would have crushed the Bears too.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... did you watch his play in the SD game? I did. He was basically rock solid.

Rivers is definitely better. I will go to my grave thinking that the worst loss I've seen is the 14-2 chargers' loss to NE in the 2006 playoffs. The Chargers absolutely dominated them, and then bizarrely lost it on Mcree's fumble after he made a 4th down int near the end of the game. The game would have been over if he just took a knee. SD had Indy's number and would have crushed the Bears too.

I agree with you that Rivers is the better qb. He is much more prolific. When he is on he is a marvel to watch. In my opinion he is a clear cut HOFer. 

The interesting thing about Allen holding the ball too long is..what if he's just that type of qb. Ben roethlisberger and rusell Wilson have basically held the ball way too long for the majority of their careers..and Josh at Wyoming always held the ball. Don't know if he'll ever be able to consistently get the ball out quick seems to go against his natural instincts . Contrast to Brady from year 1 he was getting the ball out super quick ..same with brees . Maybe tho daboll can teach him that not sure. 

9 hours ago, vincec said:

Enough passing.

They have a rookie QB with the worst wide receiving corps in the league and they are passing 80% of the time. Meanwhile, they have a top running back and one of the best running games over the last three years sitting mostly unused. When they do run, Marcus Murphy gets almost as many snaps as Shady. This doesn't sound logical to me, but apparently I'm not an offensive genius like Daboll.

Our line is better at pass blocking than run blocking (though they kinda suck at both tbh), and Shady isn't the guy he was two years ago. Plus he's hurt. Don't expect this to change much.

6 hours ago, bills11 said:

The interesting thing about Allen holding the ball too long is..what if he's just that type of qb. Ben roethlisberger and rusell Wilson have basically held the ball way too long for the majority of their careers..and Josh at Wyoming always held the ball. Don't know if he'll ever be able to consistently get the ball out quick seems to go against his natural instincts . Contrast to Brady from year 1 he was getting the ball out super quick ..same with brees . Maybe tho daboll can teach him that not sure. 

Holding the ball long isn't that big of a deal if you have good pocket presence, and can feel the rush while still keeping your eyes down field. Allen is still figuring that part out. Some of the pressures wouldn't have been pressures with Ben or Brady back there because they're so good at seeing a lineman getting pushed back and stepping up in the pocket or off to the side and away from the rush to buy those extra couple of seconds needed to get rid of it.

We've seen a few instances where Allen doesn't move and the lineman gets pushed right into him, and then he tucks the ball, puts his head down and runs. Peterman was doing this too. He'll improve. The bigger issue IMO, and what Daboll was referring to with the "free rushers" comment, is getting better at pre-snap QB reads on rushers. That's where so many of the problems are starting. 

Allen's a rookie. He's learning. He had issues recognizing blitzes, recognizing how many rushers were coming. He needs to have better communication  with his receivers to adjust for pressure. This should improve. If it's only four rushing, that's on Groy. He's supposed to account for blocking assignments. Is Bodine that bad that we have to stick with Groy at Center?

Back to the original post, I don't think the line did that bad against San Diego. Blown assignments, yes. Penalties, some. Much better than game 1, not that that is saying much. Ducasse was less of a spectacle than he was in game 1. The best? I'd have to question the evaluation process.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:16 AM, dave mcbride said:

Actually I did watch him. One time in the condensed version every single play I watched him. He was okay. A lot of plays he never blocked anyone. On the INT one could argue he was part of the cause because he had no one to block then took himself out of his spot without doing anything, which is right where Ingram came through to sack Josh who then threw as he was going down. He should have had a penalty one play when he was three yards downfield blocking on a pass play. He was decent in the run game. It was pretty amazing how many plays no one rushed across from him. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Gray Beard said:

Where’s @Bocephuz?

I always enjoyed his informal, non-expert, highly informative, complete, and easy to follow breakdowns of line play.

No sarcasm intended.  I’m being serious.

Bocephuz is back

https://buildingherd.com/2018/09/21/bills-la-wk-2-all-22-oline-qb-unforced-error-analysis/

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

Excellent. Thank you. 

You point out that the TE and RB not blocking or picking up blitzes correctly are as big, or bigger, problems than the basic O-line play. That’s an interesting observation that I haven’t seen discussed. 

You also point out that rookie quarterbacks don’t always understand or trust the pocket. I hope that can be fixed with coaching and experience. 

On 9/18/2018 at 1:06 PM, CDogg20 said:

Through two weeks he’s been ranked as PFFs #1 pass blocker. Personally I think he’s trash and hasn’t passed the eye test at all but I know many people here hold PFF in high regard

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/18/buffalo-bills-vlad-ducasse-john-miller-brian-daboll-pff/amp/ 

There can only be one sack per play. He is lucking out from the guys around him being even worse than him. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:20 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......ironically they both graded high......must be Castillo's expert tutelage............

PFF's ratings of OLers and QBs seem to be seriously flawed because they consistently seem to rate lesser players higher than they ought to be and better players lower than they should be.