McDermott- Highest odds to be fired..

McBean

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My money's on Matt Patricia...

I'm calling Patricia one & done.  He'll last the season, so in order to win, you're going to have to hope there are no in-season firings.  Odds are still on Hue when he's told to put in Mayfield & wants to stay with Tyrod.  

Yeah feels like contracts haven't been taken into account here, but I will say that the current circus surrounding the team (Peterman and Leslie Frazier getting benched right out of the gate, Davis quitting the team in the middle of a game, veiled shots by ex-Bills) does give off a smell of a coach losing control, and that's usually a sign that things might be coming to an end.

That said, it really seemed like McD built up some equity last year, and it's still early. Maybe Allen and Edmunds start to show signs of stardom this year. If that happens, no one will be talking about a coaching change. Losing sucks and it will always bring the wolves out. 

Edited by VW82

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Yeah feels like contracts haven't been taken into account here, but I will say that the current circus surrounding the team (Peterman and Leslie Frazier getting benched right out of the gate, Davis quitting the team in the middle of a game, veiled shots by ex-Bills) does give off a smell of a coach losing control, and that's usually a sign that things might be coming to an end.

That said, it really seemed like McD built up some equity last year, and it's still early. Maybe Allen and Edmunds start to show signs of stardom this year. If that happens, no one will be talking about a coaching change. Losing sucks and it will always bring the wolves out. 

....all points of major distraction and alleged turmoil that you prove your mettle by rising above that frey and make the team/organization better.....if you wilt, you're not the tough guy...white towels of surrender are wimps.....if you rise up and tackle the adversity head on, it's one helluva statement...so let's see what happens....not like NFL club adversity is something brand new IMO....how 'bout dem Steelers?.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....all points of major distraction and alleged turmoil that you prove your mettle by rising above that frey and make the team/organization better.....if you wilt, you're not the tough guy...white towels of surender are wimps.....if you rise up and tackle the adversity head on, it's one helluva statement...so let's see what happens....not like NFL club adversity is something brand new IMO....

Fair points. The issue is that some of that turmoil is of McD's own making. Good for him if he/Bills can find their way out of it, but it would nice to have a coach that doesn't put you in that position in the first place. I think that's where the 'first coach to be fired' stuff is coming from. 

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

For one - profitability.  Dead money is typically some money that was paid in past seasons via signing bonuses and restructure bonuses.  So by having it on this years salary cap - spending is kept down, but we still are "spending" to the cap threshold.  If you're not going to be good... it's helpful to the owners that the bottom line looks ok.

Two - Assets.  We got a lot of picks in trades and were able to do what Whaley never could - get a QB.  We were going to cut tyrod and got the 65th pick for him - and didn't have to eat any base salary.  Sammy was a pending UFA, who we were unlikely to negotiate with at the time (his value was really up in the air and dependent on his performance in 2017) - and we got a 2nd round pick for him.  

Three - Flexibility.  When you don't have cap room, you tend to not negotiate extensions for players.  You then lose players in free agency.  We were unable to keep hogan and gillislee because we were cap-strapped.  We had to lowball their tenders, and lost them on offer sheets.  Gilmore/Woods are the same kind of thing - couldn't extend them prior to losing them.  

Last offseason we had to bring in help at safety (google our 2016 safeties) - and that was about the only position where we brought in a top tier free agent.   This season we had to address rush defense, so they went with Star (don't love the signing).

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I loved what Beane and McD had done prior to this season. The 2017 offseason, that years draft. The 2018 offseason, this years draft all looked great...until they hit the field this year!

That defense that everyone thought would be so improved this year up from #26th and despite those bad numbers the reason the 2017 defense didn't look so horrid on the field each week was because of the turnovers with a #7 overall at +9. This year Buffalo is 29th in total defense and -3 in turnovers and a big reason for the turnover disparity is that Tyrod Taylor only threw 4 INT's all last season and Peterman and Allen have throw 4 after only two games.

Then you have sacks the sack total for last year was 47 total sacks which seems like quite a bit until you look at this year so far. The 2018 Buffalo Bills have allowed 11 sacks in two games, extrapolate that number out and you get 88 sacks in 16 games. 

At that rate will Josh Allen even survive the season? I can tell you right now that moving away from that run-first offense and going to a pass first offense was a huge mistake as it's hurting both sides of the ball for Buffalo. Running the ball is what made this team competitive the last few years and they need to find a way back to that so this rookie QB can develop.

Anything less then last years record should be unacceptable and at this rate I doubt this years team wins a single game...maybe the Lions in week 15.

4 hours ago, McBean said:

Sorry if this has already been posted but I find this very strange...

McDermott is the favorite now to be the first one fired this season. I don’t see it happening but apparently Vegas does.

Via Buffalo Rumblings:

According to one site, #Bills Sean McDermott now has the highest odds to become the next coach fired.

Is there a way you can bet money and win if he doesnt get fired? I would literally bet every penny i have, cash in my 401K and borrow as much as possible to bet that he doesn't get fired this yesr.

Literally a negative chance of this happening. 

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Why does it seem like the Bill Belichick coaching tree curls up and dies like it's been hit with Agent Orange almost every time one of these coordinators gets a HC gig? (McDaniels, Crennel, Patricia, Mangini off the top of my head--maybe more) 

They are all mommas boys and now bill b daddies boys. 

lol just goes to show you these guys have no clue what they're talking about. The Bills could go 0-16, have half the team contract herpes, McDermott be nick-named in Stormy Daniel's new book as "Yoshi", and the Pegulas are still not firing this head coach. 

While I agree it sounds far fetched these guys generally have a good grasp on reality, when nearly every one of you were gaga about Nathan Peterman being the next Tom Brady they had the line of Josh Allen starting 14.5 games this season and that sounded impossible at the time, lo and behold Allen's set to start 14.5 games.

Depends on how out-of-hand things get.... As of this moment the team has zero chemistry, and no desire to win.

The QB's are on their backs all day, and guys are retiring mid-game... I don't think McDoomed has nearly as much time as some think.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Depends on how out-of-hand things get.... As of this moment the team has zero chemistry, and no desire to win.

The QB's are on their backs all day, and guys are retiring mid-game... I don't think McDoomed has nearly as much time as some think.

I'm guessing a lot of these people don't follow the Sabres and therefore, don't know Pegula as well as they could by now.

If and when Terry decides he's done with McBeane, their gone.  And everything might be smelling very sweet 30 seconds beforehand, too.

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Is there a way you can bet money and win if he doesnt get fired? I would literally bet every penny i have, cash in my 401K and borrow as much as possible to bet that he doesn't get fired this yesr.

Literally a negative chance of this happening. 

There is literally no such thing as a “negative chance”.  If you think there is zero chance McDermott gets fired, you haven’t been paying attention.  While I agree it’s unlikely he gets fired this year, if he loses control and the team quits on him (and there are early signs of both) all bets are off.  It’s not like McDermott has a long history of success in this league.  

Patience and continuity are great, but as soon as someone demonstrates that they don’t know what they’re doing, their days are numbered, and rightly so.  Losing is toxic and should never be accepted or expected as part of some idiot’s four-year plan.

• Thank you (+1) 1