Tyrod Taylor finally unleashed in a "competent offense with weapons."

BringBackOrton

I bet there’s some posters here who still think well if he was in Tampa he’d be doing way better than fitz lol. I was literally having this argument with people the last couple of weeks about how tyrod was so much better than fitz. Talk about having to eat crow now. One is on his way to the playoffs and stealing the young franchise qbs job and another payday another one is on his way to never having a starting gig ever again lol. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

1 hour ago, eball said:

The only thing I'll contribute to this thread is that we should all be congratulating Brandon Beane for turning Tyrod into pick #63.  That, my friends, was highway robbery.

CORRECT.  Trash for the first pick in the third round is outrageous.  Beane's best move to date.

1 hour ago, eball said:

The only thing I'll contribute to this thread is that we should all be congratulating Brandon Beane for turning Tyrod into pick #63.  That, my friends, was highway robbery.

...wonder if he'll take his probable benching in Cleveland as well as he did in Buffalo (raging debate of benching versus risking injury)??.........pretty sure he thought of himself as still being starter material....stay tuned..............

3 hours ago, eball said:

gotta give credit where credit is due--even though most sane people realize that TT cant play QB--unless u set up a complete college offense for him where he is essentially a RB who throws once in a blue moon.

baker mayfield--the best QB in the draft and the only one without any real weaknesses.

....good guy...good teammate.....great ethic and competitor......8th season at this level, but like so many others, struggles with the speed and complexity of the NFL game.......reads and progressions continue to be a stumbling block.....a gamer who tries to overcome that weakness principally with his wheels, but it continues to plague him....no harm no foul here.........it is one helluva difficult task to master.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good guy...good teammate.....great ethic and competitor......8th season at this level, but like so many others, struggles with the speed and complexity of the NFL game.......reads and progressions continue to be a stumbling block.....a gamer who tries to overcome that weakness principally with his wheels, but it continues to plague him....no harm no foul here.........it is one helluva difficult task to master.......

For me I just got tired of hearing how 'underrated' he was, and how the statistic models loved him. Honestly...I probably would have been more accepting of Taylor if people didn't keep trying to make his game out to be something other than what was pretty clear to see every Sunday. That got old quick. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

For me I just got tired of hearing how 'underrated' he was, and how the statistic models loved him. Honestly...I probably would have been more accepting of Taylor if people didn't keep trying to make his game out to be something other than what was pretty clear to see every Sunday. That got old quick. 

..think you're dead on...most wanted him to succeed...only a POS would hope a kid fails in fulfilling his lifelong dream of being an NFL player, let alone a QB.....quoted him many times but here goes again...Steve Young (yup...HIM) said eloquently, "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game"....so we should trash Tyrod for being unfortunately in Young's majority, despite being a good teammate with a great work ethic and competitive nature because he fell short?...WRONG answer IMO....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

And threads like this aren't old?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:57 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, man.  Quote-in-quote makes it  a PITA to reply, so I'll just go to the one point I should clarify.

One of my stats geekeries has been looking for objective, easy to calculate stats that correlate with both QB quality and with winning - I hate that total QBR thing and PFF's subjective unexplained rating system.  I came up with 3, of which passing yards is not one.  You can search and find arguments I have where I take the position that passing yards are not a good QB quality metric.  (The things folks say to me! Heh heh. )

Then I started using those 3 stats to look at all the QB drafted from 2006-2016.  Sorting them by these 3 statspretty much it worked - the QB my stats tagged as "successful NFL QB" would,  I think, find a lot of agreement.  They excluded a couple guys maybe people would say "he's a good QB" cuz, "heard of him" or "won a Superbowl" but when you look at the guy's whole career, the argument is pretty strong that in fact, maybe not so good.

Well, I noticed a funny thing after that.  I was pulling in a few QB that few would agree were good QB.  Hmmm.  The commonality was that all these guys had pretty low yards per game - 200-ish or less.

So then I went back and started looking at passing yards and winning again.  I haven't finished, but I'm coming to the conclusion that while more isn't better, there may be a floor of passing yards per game, below which winning is less likely, especially during playoff games.  I'm not sure where it is, precisely - between 200 and 230 yds somewhere.

Blahblahblah long winded way to say I think you're not reading what I wrote carefully enough.  While overall, I'd agree that passing yards don't mean too much, I can't agree that they don't mean anything.  If a QB is on average, generating <220 ypg passing offense, I think the team is less likely to win playoff games and somewhat less likely to win overall.

Agree disagree, whatevs, if you want to "reject completely" that notion I think you're rejecting some sturdy data, but I've been busy with other stuff and haven't rolled it up.

Bridgewater was effective in 2015 for the Vikes, sure, but not on a top-tier level.

There are exceptions and outliers, and that's pretty much by definition what the guys who lead the NFL's career completion list are by definition.  Right now we have several exceptions and outliers who have been QBing successfully for a long time in the NFL.  But the fact is, year after year, the vast majority of QB starting in the NFL are on the team that drafted them, and if you want to acquire a quality QB who can lead the franchise for years, that's pretty much where teams have to go.  They better not count on a re-run of 1992 where they can trade for Brett Favre, 2006 where Drew Brees hits free agency - or for that matter, 2018 where one very good QB gets traded and another hits FA.   They better not count on the long-term success of a career journeyman like Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick.   They better not count on drafting Tom Brady in the 6th or having Kurt Warner walk-on as an UDFA.  These are all rarities, not the norm.  They better draft a guy, and the highest probability of a hit is in the 1st round at the top, and even there the odds are lower than most people think.  If you disagree with that, then here's where I say we're just on a different page.

You spend an awful lot of time saying this method and that method can't be relied upon for getting a franchise QB, then you conclude with drafting a QB in the first round - which has ... what? a 20% success rate? Less?

I've never said it is the only way, or that you are going to find the great franchise QB that way. But there are 10, all-time franchise QBs and to me, outside of Peyton Manning nearly all of them were easily acquired elsewhere than the top 5 picks in the draft. A lot of them weren't even the first QB overall taken. I hardly think the only way is picking one up in the draft.

QBs are the result of a team, of good coaching, of a system that is built around them. Presumably the Texans had a near MVP QB there in DeShaun. Didn't look that way to me, and he was picked high in the draft. 24 starters. QB is important. It's not everything; it just seems that way when you have the recency bias of having Tom Brady bash your brains in twice a year for most of this century. 

A lot of the other stuff you wrote was pretty good.