Eric Wood says the culture is just fine in Buffalo and guys are really bought in

BillsFan4

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea the culture is fine, of course it is.That doesn't mean a dam thing if you have 0 talent on this team.

but hey, culture is super important. 

This is such BS. If the Bills are 2-0 right now, i guaran-damn-tee you vontae does not quit. 

He saw this team was going to be bad and said, eff it the money ain't worth being on the worst team in football. 

I’m glad you can read minds.   Personally I’m going to take Davis at his word: he quit because he wasn’t physically right.

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea the culture is fine, of course it is.That doesn't mean a dam thing if you have 0 talent on this team.

but hey, culture is super important. 

This is such BS. If the Bills are 2-0 right now, i guaran-damn-tee you vontae does not quit. 

He saw this team was going to be bad and said, eff it the money ain't worth being on the worst team in football. 

If he couldn't tell that this team was undergoing a complete rebuild and was not going to be a contender this season then that's on him. His options were limited due to his injuries. Bills were likely one of very few teams that called him and offered a respectable deal. And it was a one-year deal so he knew he was not in the future plans for this team. I'm sure he was told he'd have a chance to win a starting job but was also told nothing would be promised or guaranteed. In addition to that, I'm sure they told him they felt like he could add a veteran presence in the DB room. He's a 10-year vet who's seen it all and could share a lot of knowledge. This type of set up happens all over the league on every team.

He didn't roll into Buffalo expecting to contend for a Super Bowl. He knew this team was in for a bumpy ride this season and he chose to sign on for it. And then, for reasons only he understands, one half of regular season football as a Buffalo Bill was all he wanted to put in. 2-0, 1-1, 0-2, 0-1-1, 0-0-2, however you wanna cut it, he made up his mind a few weeks ago and just chose a ridiculous time to cut the cord on his career. He was a first round pick, made a couple of Pro Bowls, was a very solid CB for most of his career but now all he's gonna be remembered for is being the guy that quit at halftime. 

4 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Here's a thought.

How is it that no one on the Bills staff had any inkling Vontae Davis was considering quitting.

Was there no red flag before the start of the season, when Davis suddenly revealed he was still trying to overcome an injury.

Was there no red flag during two preseason performance in which Davis couldn't tackle or cover.

Was there no red flag from last year in how Davis got into a major dispute with Chuck Pagano which led to the Colts cutting him.

Hey, I know there's some kind of nutty narrative in which the national media is questioning the Bills for making some odd decisions. But heck, what do i know.

jw

I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors - what type of talks the Bills brass had with Vontae before and after he signed, whether or not they asked him about the incident with Pagano and if they did, what type of explanation he gave, what he was like in the locker room, whether or not anyone, teammates included, had any inkling he was thinking of quitting, etc etc. 

So it’s hard for me to say whether or not the Bills should have known. I am sure that you know more than me in regard to the behind the scenes stuff... 

I’d guess that there were red flags about Davis’ play, though. I would think that was why he was a healthy scratch for week 1, and seemingly only dressed for week 2 because of an injury to Phillip Gaines. 

But, just because he was struggling I don’t think it necessarily means that the Bills should have known he was going to just up and quit on them. 

I would imagine the Bills were hoping that it was just taking him longer than they expected to come back from the knee injury.

Just judging from what has been said by players and coaches, they all seemed genuinely shocked he retired. I believe one player even said he had no idea Vontae was thinking of retiring. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors - what type of talks the Bills brass had with Vontae before and after he signed, whether or not they asked him about the incident with Pagano and if they did, what type of explanation he gave, what he was like in the locker room, whether or not anyone, teammates included, had any inkling he was thinking of quitting, etc etc. 

So it’s hard for me to say whether or not the Bills should have known. I am sure that you know more than me in regard to the behind the scenes stuff... 

I’d guess that there were red flags about Davis’ play, though. I would think that was why he was a healthy scratch for week 1, and seemingly only dressed for week 2 because of an injury to Phillip Gaines. 

But, just because he was struggling I don’t think it necessarily means that the Bills should have known he was going to just up and quit on them. 

I would imagine the Bills were hoping that it was just taking him longer than they expected to come back from the knee injury.

Just judging from what has been said by players and coaches, they all seemed genuinely shocked he retired. I believe one player even said he had no idea Vontae was thinking of retiring.

Yes but the team should have known it. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Here's a thought.

How is it that no one on the Bills staff had any inkling Vontae Davis was considering quitting.

Was there no red flag before the start of the season, when Davis suddenly revealed he was still trying to overcome an injury.

Was there no red flag during two preseason performance in which Davis couldn't tackle or cover.

Was there no red flag from last year in how Davis got into a major dispute with Chuck Pagano which led to the Colts cutting him.

Hey, I know there's some kind of nutty narrative in which the national media is questioning the Bills for making some odd decisions. But heck, what do i know.

jw

Here's a thought, too: in the absence of any answers to those questions and instead of seeking to get those answers directly from the principles involved, why do some media folks insist on just going with their conjecture as though it means anything. 

I know one fact: Vontae Davis acted in the most unprofessional manner that pro football team member can act. He gets no benefit of the doubt. None. 

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Love Eric Wood, but he's not exactly a neutral arbiter when it comes to the Bills.

If it doesn't suit the narrative that's being pushed at the time then he's just a paid Bills shill. If Tyrod, being upset at how his time in Buffalo ended, came out and said there was a poor culture we'd take that and run with it. Because it's suits the world is on fire narrative.

1 minute ago, downunderbill said:

If it doesn't suit the narrative that's being pushed at the time then he's just a paid Bills shill. If Tyrod, being upset at how his time in Buffalo ended, came out and said there was a poor culture we'd take that and run with it. Because it's suits the world is on fire narrative.

Not worried about the Culture at OBD. What they need is more good players. 

7 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

This team is going to be 3-13 bad. There were already questions about effort in week 1 from a few players.

This season is going to be ugly. I'm not mad, or upset or whatever you want to call it.

I just strongly disagree about the way this current staff is going about this team and how "Culture" is superior to talent, in their minds. 

Rebuilding in the NFL does not work like this, people like you and I ripped the browns for the past 3 years as they stock piled picks and traded away talent and tanked. Now the bills are doing exactly what the 1-35 In the last 3 years browns did and its just "Part of the process"

I'm pretty sure you're pissed.

7 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Here's a thought.

jw

The Bills signed the veteran CB who had a very good career coming off an injury. They thought he could be useful for this season while being very aware that he was in the twilight of his career. It's apparent to me that while they didn't know he was going to quit in the middle of the game the staff was well aware that he was a fading player. In my opinion if he didn't quit he would have been benched. 

As far as the Coleman pick-up they gave up pennies to get a look at a speedster who was a former first round pick. This was a low cost and insignificant transaction. It isn't something to be bothered by. 

Whaley wasn't adept at building a roster because he didn't  or belatedly emphasize upgrading the qb position. The one area where I believe he shined was getting good value in the pro market.   

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

As far as the Coleman pick-up they gave up pennies to get a look at a speedster who was a former first round pick. This was a low cost and insignificant transaction. It isn't something to be bothered by.

$3.5M guaranteed salary is "pennies" now?  On a team where folks are asserting we couldn't sign a couple FA OL 'cuz "no cap"?

• Like (+1) 2