Eric Wood says the culture is just fine in Buffalo and guys are really bought in

BillsFan4

I am not usually one to start new threads, but I wanted to make sure people read this, with how many are down on the Bills right now. This was reassuring for me to read. I hope it is for you too...

https://theathletic.com/531712/2018/09/18/wood-its-so-hard-for-me-to-fathom-that-anyone-would-quit-on-their-teammates-like-vontae-davis-did/

(Sorry, it’s a link to the Athletic - sub. required -  but I copied & pasted the relevant part of the article) 

Anquan Boldin quit in training camp last year. I don’t know if he thought we were going to stink or what. But if you turn on the film from last year, we were so bought in to what Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane were preaching.

You can even talk to coaches and players from teams around the league: Our film looked different. Our effort level was so high.

Now, we didn’t have 13 wins. We went 9-7 and squeaked into the playoffs with a lot of help. But we weren’t the most talented team in the league either. We fought our tails off every week for our coaches and for each other.

Now the narrative in Buffalo is that the culture is so bad that players are quitting.

That couldn’t be further from reality. The truth is that the Bills are a bunch of guys who have bought in. They just have a lot of young talent with brighter days ahead.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 7

i don't think players quitting on the coaching is a narrative is all except for here.  right now, people are so into looking for the bad on this team, that they'll run with any scenario.  is it weird that davis quit at halftime?  sure.  is there something bigger going on than him hitting a wall?  probably not.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Its' easy and lazy for reporters to link Vontae Davis to a "culture thing"..  but to me it is and always will be a Vontae Davis issue.  

that's because it's absolutely a davis issue.  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Love Eric Wood, but he's not exactly a neutral arbiter when it comes to the Bills.

He's not, but it's funny how someone commented yesterday that Wood would be ripping the Bills front office apart.

Guess not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Its' easy and lazy for reporters to link Vontae Davis to a "culture thing"..  but to me it is and always will be a Vontae Davis issue.  

Exactly. Vontae knew he was a mercenary and was hardly here. Obviously, he did not buy into the culture. It's unbelievable that the media continues to take a dump on the Bills for him quitting. Yeah the Bills looked awful through the first six quarters of the year, but what Vontae did was inexcusable. 

Eric is right. National media is ignorant and lazy of the actual situation in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Eric is right. National media is ignorant and lazy of the actual situation in Buffalo. 

National media is usually more in tune because they get their scoops from the player agents.  There's a reason why Schefter & Rappaport break news first.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Exactly. Vontae knew he was a mercenary and was hardly here. Obviously, he did not buy into the culture. It's unbelievable that the media continues to take a dump on the Bills for him quitting. Yeah the Bills looked awful through the first six quarters of the year, but what Vontae did was inexcusable. 

It can only be fixed with winning, something this franchise has been unable to do consistently.  I think fans need to stop whining about the national media's take on things.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true, but the fact is, the Bills played better in the 2nd half after Vontae quit.

AND Sean took over playcalling on the D. I think that had to have done something as well. If they start the game like that we're in it till the end.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Love Eric Wood, but he's not exactly a neutral arbiter when it comes to the Bills.

He's the closest thing to a neutral arbiter who truly knows what's going on the locker room that you'll find.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yea the culture is fine, of course it is.That doesn't mean a dam thing if you have 0 talent on this team.

but hey, culture is super important. 

9 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

This is such BS. If the Bills are 2-0 right now, i guaran-damn-tee you vontae does not quit. 

He saw this team was going to be bad and said, eff it the money ain't worth being on the worst team in football. 

Let's be real.   We have a brand new, complex system with a young center, and new quarterbacks that were constantly being mixed and matched during the preseason.  Teamwork is crucial in this game and it will take time.  Not sure what the defense's problem is but Flacco talked about how easy it was to get the LB's to step forward then pass in that gap.

But, in all honesty, I also have to imagine coaches being so wrong about Peterman killed morale and trust so maybe Wood doesn't have his finger on the pulse like last year?