Tanner Gentry is the exact WR Bills should sign

MAJBobby

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Right now they should sign Gentry, Spencer Drango, Vince Biegel (to replace Deon Lacy), and Bashaud Breeland. Gentry and Biegel are on practice squads and Drango and Breeland are free to sign.  

Probably should sign Matt Moore too. That should all shake things up. 

with only 7 mil in cap?  

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well with Allen he also avg 18.4 yards a reception. So that would seem he also runs those downfield routes Bills are scheming 

He did that at Wyoming. In the NFL, I am just not sure he would be an upgrade over what we have now.

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

How fast is Tanner Gentry?? Bills need deep speed

He's a 4.46 40 and a 38 inch vert. And he put up 19 reps on the bench so he is a strong guy. 

56 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

with only 7 mil in cap?  

I know it is unrealistic, but everyone aside from Breeland would be minimum salary guys. 

54 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No offence, but Gentry is the type of WR that was cut by this team (Reilly) and not good at all.  We need bigger/stronger WR's, not ones that have played with Allen.

And those are so readily available right now. But maybe brining in someone Allen Trusts will help his development. 

It is amazing how many people just want to ignore any sliver of help one move could make 

53 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No offence, but Gentry is the type of WR that was cut by this team (Reilly) and not good at all.  We need bigger/stronger WR's, not ones that have played with Allen.

Gentry is a footbll player through and through. Reilly is an athlete who did nearly nothing at Nebraska. I think they are completely differnt entities. Gentry is the guy making all those huge plays with Allen on those highlight films, while Reilly caught something like 67 balls during his entire college career. Gentry caught 72 passes 1,326 yards and 14 TDs his senior year. 

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Can he play cornerback?

Either that or Oline.  McDermott likes versitility

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It makes a ton of sense.Unfortunately, the fact that they showed no interest in him at cut time tells me they probably aren't interested. Makes sense though. 

I think they are trying to make Allen more comfortable by surrounding him with little talent so it feels like he is still in school.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I just posted this in another thread, but, it seems appropriate here as well. Allen is 2nd in the NFL in average air yards per attempt and 5th in percentage of throws into tight windows (1 yard or less between defender and receiver) - which means (in looking at the numbers) he throws more deep routes with less separation by receivers than any other QB. His game is pushing the ball deep and that is what the Bills are scheming for him. I don't believe Gentry is going to help this problem because I don't think it is an issue of comfort or confidence in receivers - but more of an issue of receivers who can get open. In otherwords, an upgrade in talent, which I don't think Gentry is.

Josh Gordon would have.

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The yardage is skewed by a few big plays (Zay Jones and DiMarco come to mind) where he got lucky that it wasn't picked and had poor ball placement. You're 100% correct in both statements. The line is bad and he's going to need to make quicker reads and trust his receivers to go get the deep ball and lead them with his throws. If he doesn't he's going to lead the league in picks and incompletions really quickly.

So you can pick and choose your plays to make the stats back up your position - got it.  What about the ones that were dropped - are you adding those in?

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It makes a ton of sense.Unfortunately, the fact that they showed no interest in him at cut time tells me they probably aren't interested. Makes sense though. 

..has some pretty good size and speed..........

Tony Pauline

Draft Analyst Writer

The days’ other star was receiver Tanner Gentry, a Week 11 Riser.

Gentry, who finished the 2016 campaign with 72 receptions for 1326 yards and 14 TDs, measured 6010 and 208 pounds, completed 19 reps on the bench, posted a 38.5-inch vertical jump and reached 10-foot-3 in the broad.

He timed in the mid 4.5s during the 40 (4.53s/4.56s) and then looked outstanding during pass-catching drills, including a one-handed grab on a go route which drew a rise from scouts.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Signing a guy because he played with Allen is apically stupid, but here is what i found out about him with the Bears

Tanner Gentry was the star of Chicago's training camp and preseason a year ago. The young wideout out of Wyoming formed an immediate connection with quarterback Mitch Trubisky. That connection went on to show itself during the preseason. Gentry caught four passes for 77 yards with a 45-yard touchdown grab in the team's third preseason game last year. The hope was for him to become a diamond in the rough for the team. He eventually got onto the field during the regular season last year for Chicago in four games. In those games he caught just three passes for 35 yards before going back on the practice squad.

Some were speculating he would have a better chance to latch on this year in Chicago's new offense, but there is currently a lot of talent ahead of him on the depth chart. It has been a struggle at times for him to get onto the field. With guys like Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller and Kevin White ahead of him, chances have been limited. He has caught 12 passes for 98 yards with one touchdown this preseason. He still needs to prove he can be reliable on special teams in order to earn the job.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Allens top target in Wyoming and friend. 

72 receptions 1326 yards ans 14TDs. 

That is an 18.4 AVG as well for anything that he wont go down field 

This move fits the youth movement in terms of youth and future. It also aids in development of Allen brining in a WR he knows and trusts. 

Wont be too expensive and easily comes with limited impact on the 8M in space we have. 

I am sure there are other PS players to poach I just havent looked too in depth of each teams PS. Just Gentry because to me it just makes all the sense in the world 

Same thing i thought when the Bills drafted EJ & the next year KB was coming out & seeing as he was one of EJ's favorite targets at FSU you would have thought that would have made the most sense but we all know what happened there !! 

But at least we can dream !!