Pro Football Hall of Famers Won't Attend Induction Ceremonies without Salary and Benefits

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You continue to post the financial status of these guys with no evidence.  What you're posting is 100% conjecture.

Wrong. I already looked it up. I told you it was easily Googled, but that’s too much work for you apparently. Fact: Most of the players are multi-millionaires, and that’s even without knowing the net worth of 6 of them.

12 players have net worths of between $4 million and $50 million:

Marcus Allen

Derrick Brooks

Jim Brown

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Marshall Faulk

Ronnie Lott

Curtis Martin

Joe Namath

Deion Sanders

Bruce Smith

Reggie White

1 player does not have net worth available but made bank during his career:

John Randle

2 players made bank during their careers, were multi-millionaires and blew most of their money:

Lawrence Taylor

Richard Dent

Net worths are not available for 5 players:

Mel Blount

Carl Eller

Mike Haynes

Rickey Jackson

Jackie Smith

8 minutes ago, MichFan said:

Wrong. I already looked it up. I told you it was easily Googled, but that’s too much work for you apparently. Fact: Most of the players are multi-millionaires, and that’s even without knowing the net worth of 6 of them.

12 players have net worths of between $4 million and $50 million:

Marcus Allen

Derrick Brooks

Jim Brown

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Marshall Faulk

Ronnie Lott

Curtis Martin

Joe Namath

Deion Sanders

Bruce Smith

Reggie White

1 player does not have net worth available but made bank during his career:

John Randle

2 players made bank during their careers, were multi-millionaires and blew most of their money:

Lawrence Taylor

Richard Dent

Net worths are not available for 5 players:

Mel Blount

Carl Eller

Mike Haynes

Rickey Jackson

Jackie Smith

I'll repeat what I posted earlier: "Most hall of famers are most certainly not"

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll repeat what I post earlier: "Most hall of famers are most certainly not"

Most Hall of Famers are not threatening to boycott the Hall of Fame if they don’t get a salary and benefits from the league. Of the ones that are, most are multi-millionaires.

1 minute ago, MichFan said:

Most Hall of Famers are not threatening to boycott the Hall of Fame if they don’t get a salary and benefits from the league. Of the ones that are, most are multi-millionaires.

Well then we have plenty of warm bodies to show up. I really don’t care if they don’t want to go. Watch on TV like the rest of us. It’s not YOUR show, but it would be respectful to the new inductees. But do your thing. 

1 minute ago, MichFan said:

I can tell that you only looked at the names and didn't read the letter because as I posted much earlier in the thread, they are not making demands for just the names on the list.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can tell that you only looked at the names and didn't read the letter because as I posted much earlier in the thread, they are not making demands for just the names on the list.

I read the entire letter. The only people threatening to boycott are the names on the list, minus two who backed out. If other HOFers felt so inclined they could have signed their names as well.

Edited by MichFan

Just now, MichFan said:

I read the entire letter. The only people threatening to boycott are the names on the list, minus two who backed out. If other HOFes felt so inclined they could have signed their names as well.

Who signed the letter isn't the same as who the demands are being made for. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Fine, stay home guys. You got paid when you worked, just as I did. Differentiating between HOF and non-HOF players lost me. 

It would be a different conversation for me if they were using their status as HOFers to advocate for themselves as well as non-HOFers.

Where we disagree is "Fine, stay home guys". IMO, part of the induction ceremony is being celebrated amongst your peers and becoming part of  that elite group. Having that elite group cheapen the day for next years inductees leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It would be a different conversation for me if they were using their status as HOFers to advocate for themselves as well as non-HOFers.

Where we disagree is "Fine, stay home guys". IMO, part of the induction ceremony is being celebrated amongst your peers and becoming part of  that elite group. Having that elite group cheapen the day for next years inductees leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I don’t LIKE the idea of them staying home, but I would refuse to be held hostage. I’m just that way, it’s a matter of principle. If they won’t come for the right reasons, I stick with “fine, stay home”.  This looks cheesy in my mind by the guys who think this is OK. What’s next? TO would show up for induction for $1 mil? It’s a bad look for them and hurts the new inductees (as I noted above), but I don’t like blackmail, and that’s what this feels like. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I don’t LIKE the idea of them staying home, but I would refuse to be held hostage. I’m just that way, it’s a matter of principle. If they won’t come for the right reasons, I stick with “fine, stay home”.  This looks cheesy in my mind by the guys who think this is OK. What’s next? TO would show up for induction for $1 mil? It’s a bad look for them and hurts the new inductees (as I noted above), but I don’t like blackmail, and that’s what this feels like. 

I thought you were talking from your own point of view with "fine say home" not the Hall's. On this we agree. It's blackmail pure and simple.

I was just on espn and it looks like the united front may not be so united. Jerry Rice and Kurt Warner were not "on board". Ironically they spelled Carl Ellard (sic) correctly this time around.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24720441/group-hall-famers-threaten-boycott-induction-ceremony-nfl-provides-health-insurance-annual-salaries

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who signed the letter isn't the same as who the demands are being made for. 

So what? Who anointed Eric Dickerson and his buddies as representatives of all HOFers? If the real issue is older generation players, why do all the newer generation wealthy players need these entitlements?

5 minutes ago, MichFan said:

So what? Who anointed Eric Dickerson and his buddies as representatives of all HOFers? If the real issue is older generation players, why do all the newer generation wealthy players need these entitlements?

I love how you dismiss it with the Eric Dickerson and his buddies. :lol: They formed a Hall of Fame Board to speak not only for themselves. You act as if they're asking you for money. 

The average career is 3.3 years.  You think the average NFL player is wealthy?

What a sad letter, like pathetic.  Mythogolizing?  The average fan who looked up to these guys as incredible athletes gets up 4 times a night because their prostate is as big as a tennis ball, they are worried about low T and spend as much time checking their sugar as they do reading a stat line. 

I have no issue if they can work with the NFL to get a slice of the pie, but leaving the rest of the brotherhood to fend for themselves while they get theirs is sad.  They should be forced to listen to Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days 100x before they write their next letter. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I love how you dismiss it with the Eric Dickerson and his buddies. :lol: They formed a Hall of Fame Board to speak not only for themselves. You act as if they're asking you for money. 

To be fair, all this money ultimately comes from us so, yeah....it’s our money. It’s our cost to view paying for this. 

This seems like a CBA issue to me. I have no idea why HOF guys think they have any say.  Stay home for the HOF game, it may ruin the experience for the new inductees, but I’m not being held hostage if you want to be greedy. Jerks. I’m all for better health care, so you guys trade that for income in the next CBA. That would be the smart thing to do, but they will want cash, then ask for more benefits later. They had their deal, why should they have a seat at the table asking for charity now? 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why should all NFL players be wealthy? Most people have 45 year careers and struggle financially their whole life. Why do you value the work of a football player more than any other occupation?

I have a friend who played a few years in the league, never as a starter. Got cut and now he works a blue collar job. His years in the NFL were the best time of his life and by far the most profitable. Why does the NFL owe him anything else?

• Like (+1) 1