Pro Football Hall of Famers Won't Attend Induction Ceremonies without Salary and Benefits

26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Didn't these same people rip T.O for not attending? But now it's OK to take away the spotlight from next years inductees? 

What baffles is me is that they think people are actually there to see them every year.

• Like (+1) 1

Remove them all from the Hall of Fame and that will end their entitlement claim. These are the last people who should be begging for more money. Not the NFL’s problem if they squandered their millions.

Jim Kelly has probably rung up more medical bills than that entire group combined. I don’t see him complaining.

Edited by MichFan

1 minute ago, MichFan said:

Remove them all from the Hall of Fame and that will end their entitlement claim. These are the last people who should be begging for more money. Not the NFL’s problem if they squandered their millions.

Many of these guys certainly did not make millions.

51 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Honestly they should be speaking for all former players, not just the Hall of Fame ones. The Hall of Fame players at least have name recognition still and can do events/signings. 

Agree. 

There are enough Billions $$$ to insure and provide a pension to all the players, not just the HOF players.   The guys that played before the union was established deserve better. 

The money is there and these guys are not going to live forever. 

2 minutes ago, MichFan said:

Jim Kelly has probably rung up more medical bills than that entire group combined. I don’t see him complaining.

There are a lot of players that made very little.  In the 60's and prior it was common for them to work two or three jobs.  

The really big contracts started around the 70's and not all got them.  Free agency caused bigger increases in pay, that and the CBA.

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What baffles is me is that they think people are actually there to see them every year.

Were are there to see them.

The three times I went there I really enjoyed seeing the older members. 

My favorite players are from my youth and I do indeed enjoy seeing them and getting to talk to them. 

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Were are there to see them.

The three times I went there I really enjoyed seeing the older members. 

My favorite players are from my youth and I do indeed enjoy seeing them and getting to talk to them. 

Fair enough.  I just don't see this as any significant leverage.

10 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

There are a lot of players that made very little.  In the 60's and prior it was common for them to work two or three jobs.  

The really big contracts started around the 70's and not all got them.  Free agency caused bigger increases in pay, that and the CBA.

Looking at the list of people who signed the letter, I see only a couple that may not have multi-million net worths right now.

58 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

They already have pensions from the league. And how many from the 60s and 70s are still around today? We are talking about players who retired 40-50 years ago from the league?

If you wanted a better pension for working only a couple of years you should have gotten into politics afterwards.....

I agree that I think they should get health care as a veteran player as most end up suffering from playing injuries when they are older. But what do I know, I'm used to not having to mortgage my house to pay a doctors bill when I get a cold.......

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

What is the net worth of each guy who signed that letter?

And how many have current employers who are already paying salaries and benefits?

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They already have pensions from the league. And how many from the 60s and 70s are still around today? We are talking about players who retired 40-50 years ago from the league?

If you wanted a better pension for working only a couple of years you should have gotten into politics afterwards.....

I agree that I think they should get health care as a veteran player as most end up suffering from playing injuries when they are older. But what do I know, I'm used to not having to mortgage my house to pay a doctors bill when I get a cold.......

And how many have current employers who are already paying salaries and benefits?

26CB says Deion and Jerry Rice didn't make millions!  He needs more NFL money to survive.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Honestly they should be speaking for all former players, not just the Hall of Fame ones. The Hall of Fame players at least have name recognition still and can do events/signings. 

Exactly.

Is this for real?  Seems very selfish to use their clout to only benefit themselves.  The other 99% of the players sacrificed just as much.  Yes, the NFL needs to fund a post-retirement medical plan.  As for the 'salary' demands, I thought there was a pension, no?

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

26CB says Deion and Jerry Rice didn't make millions!  He needs more NFL money to survive.

They have, and still are making millions on their network gigs that they got for being former NFL players, now what they did with or have left from those millions is a different story......

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Don’t they already have a pension?

edit: yes they do and I’d say it’s pretty decent 

The NFL could stand for "Not For Long," with the average career lasting only three years - just enough to qualify for the league's pension plan. The league's plan is based on years of service in the league. Players who retired in the '80s and '90s receive anywhere from $3,000-5,640 per month for every season played in the NFL. Newly retired players receive $5,640 dollars monthlyfor every year of service. Players with 10 years of service receive an additional retirement bonus in the form of an annuity.

Players are eligible to receive their full benefits at the age of 55. While the pension plan is much worse than other sports, the NFL does offer a generous 401(k) plan. The league matches every player's contribution up to 200%. (Housing your retirement plan inside a variable annuity contract offers some big advantages, but only if you are close to retirement.

Read more: Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx#ixzz5RSqx6drU 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

I was going to post the same thing, not quite sure what they are talking about

In 20 years, maybe sooner, the NFL will become the NASCAR of the big three pro team sports. 

Kids playing football is dropping rapidly compared to basketball and baseball. The NBA and MLB can count on the millions of kids who play the game outside of the U.S. 

No kids playing U.S. football anywhere else but here. High schools dropping it everywhere here.