Pro Football Hall of Famers Won't Attend Induction Ceremonies without Salary and Benefits

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nice of them to segregate themselves from their peers.  Guess they would have been Hall of Famers with no help from the rest of their respective teams.

This is, in my opinion, a supreme douche move.

Agreed.  This is really sad. HoFers get a “salary” while the guys that helped  them become HoFers don’t.  I’m really baffled by this.  Ultimate greed.  I would rather the nfl just say see ya.  Then they will fade away never to be seen again unless they have tv jobs.

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

In 20 years, maybe sooner, the NFL will become the NASCAR of the big three pro team sports. 

Kids playing football is dropping rapidly compared to basketball and baseball. The NBA and MLB can count on the millions of kids who play the game outside of the U.S. 

No kids playing U.S. football anywhere else but here. High schools dropping it everywhere here.

Definitely food for thought, good post!

32 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

In 20 years, maybe sooner, the NFL will become the NASCAR of the big three pro team sports. 

Kids playing football is dropping rapidly compared to basketball and baseball. The NBA and MLB can count on the millions of kids who play the game outside of the U.S. 

No kids playing U.S. football anywhere else but here. High schools dropping it everywhere here.

For people who think that can't happen, loom what happened to boxing. The heavyweight champ used to be the most famous person on Earth. Now? I have no idea who it even is. That happened in roughly 20 years time.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

For people who think that can't happen, loom what happened to boxing. The heavyweight champ used to be the most famous person on Earth. Now? I have no idea who it even is. That happened in roughly 20 years time.

Of course it could happen. It could happen to any sport. The NFL may yet win its wars and still be going strong in 15 years.

35 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Not to mention the 3+ hour affair that is a typical NFL game. 

Sunday’s game was painfully long, no way the under 20yo generations will sit through them. I have a hard enough time making it through an entire game if I’m not there. They have to find a way to streamline the action with less breaks.

But I say let the whole league burn. That Clay Matthews “penalty” really drives it home; this isn’t football anymore.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  This is really sad. HoFers get a “salary” while the guys that helped  them become HoFers don’t.  I’m really baffled by this.  Ultimate greed.  I would rather the nfl just say see ya.  Then they will fade away never to be seen again unless they have tv jobs.

Golic and Wingo made a good point this morning:  There's no way in hell the NFL would agree to providing all NFL Vets with lifetime health benefits and a salary.  So the HOFers decided, "well, maybe if we present it as a significantly smaller group, they'll be more agreeable."

Dirty, selfish bastards, if you ask me.

Since they already get a pension, could the "salary" they are requesting be that they want to be paid for being in the hall of fame and appearing each year at the event? This argument would be similar to the one in college football that the players should be paid because they are the ones on the field and making the schools and NCAA money off of them. Could the HOFers want pay because they are being used to make the HOF and NFL money by being "attractions" to the event and HOF?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Of course it could happen. It could happen to any sport. The NFL may yet win its wars and still be going strong in 15 years.

21 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I could see the NHL fading out before the NFL.

But the NFL has issues to face the NBA and MLB will never have....

....a dwindling talent pool, having to sissify and over officiate the game yearly and rich greedy ex-players willing to ruin the sport for further financial gain.

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Look at any of the players from the 60's through the 80's and you'll have the answer you're looking for. 

just saying the guys who’s names are on that document pretty much all earned millions.

namath? Millions.... 

obviously the guys from the 40s who are dead, didn’t. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Golic and Wingo made a good point this morning:  There's no way in hell the NFL would agree to providing all NFL Vets with lifetime health benefits and a salary.  So the HOFers decided, "well, maybe if we present it as a significantly smaller group, they'll be more agreeable."

Dirty, selfish bastards, if you ask me.

True.  No chance everyone gets it.  Just a greedy elitist mentality.  

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't believe they are taking up the cause for just themselves. 

So they are going to refuse any association with the HOF until they get their salary and benefits, and then what? Make the same threat again until everyone gets it? That wouldn’t be negotiating in good faith. Awfully convenient how they think they need to start with themselves first, when they are the ones that need it the least.

3 minutes ago, MichFan said:

So they are going to refuse any association with the HOF until they get their salary and benefits, and then what? Make the same threat again until everyone gets it? That wouldn’t be negotiating in good faith. Awfully convenient how they think they need to start with themselves first, when they are the ones that need it the least.

You're assuming quite a bit about the financial status of pro football hall of famers.