Pro Football Hall of Famers Won't Attend Induction Ceremonies without Salary and Benefits

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Honestly they should be speaking for all former players, not just the Hall of Fame ones. The Hall of Fame players at least have name recognition still and can do events/signings. 

C'mon man.  Deion and Jerry Rice need the money, not Corey McIntyre and David Nelson.  Priorities bro.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I would definitely say that those guys that were playing before the inflated salaries of today came around deserve to be included in a employee pension plan & they have a very good case especially when it comes to Goodell making some $40 Mill per year & the $1.4 Billion in NFL revenue that they generate .

Not quite sure what to think about guys like TO that have blown some $80 million that they made while playing the game ? But being part of the NFL they should have a vested interest in a pension plan of some sort ...

• Like (+1) 2

Don’t they already have a pension?

edit: yes they do and I’d say it’s pretty decent 

The NFL could stand for "Not For Long," with the average career lasting only three years - just enough to qualify for the league's pension plan. The league's plan is based on years of service in the league. Players who retired in the '80s and '90s receive anywhere from $3,000-5,640 per month for every season played in the NFL. Newly retired players receive $5,640 dollars monthlyfor every year of service. Players with 10 years of service receive an additional retirement bonus in the form of an annuity.

Players are eligible to receive their full benefits at the age of 55. While the pension plan is much worse than other sports, the NFL does offer a generous 401(k) plan. The league matches every player's contribution up to 200%. (Housing your retirement plan inside a variable annuity contract offers some big advantages, but only if you are close to retirement.

Read more: Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx#ixzz5RSqx6drU 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Don’t they already have a pension?

edit: yes they do and I’d say it’s pretty decent 

The NFL could stand for "Not For Long," with the average career lasting only three years - just enough to qualify for the league's pension plan. The league's plan is based on years of service in the league. Players who retired in the '80s and '90s receive anywhere from $3,000-5,640 per month for every season played in the NFL. Newly retired players receive $5,640 dollars monthlyfor every year of service. Players with 10 years of service receive an additional retirement bonus in the form of an annuity.

Players are eligible to receive their full benefits at the age of 55. While the pension plan is much worse than other sports, the NFL does offer a generous 401(k) plan. The league matches every player's contribution up to 200%. (Housing your retirement plan inside a variable annuity contract offers some big advantages, but only if you are close to retirement.

Read more: Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx#ixzz5RSqx6drU 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

So all these h o f ers are already likely pulling at least 3-4 hundred thou in pension? On top of whatever they did with career earnings? 

I think ive lost sympathy for this cause 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So all these h o f ers are already likely pulling at least 3-4 hundred thou in pension? On top of whatever they did with career earnings? 

I think ive lost sympathy for this cause 

I don’t feel bad for these guys at all. Most of them get free education to begin with. It all comes down to them not knowing what to do with their money. They blow it all and then look for hand outs

• Like (+1) 1

Nice of them to segregate themselves from their peers.  Guess they would have been Hall of Famers with no help from the rest of their respective teams.

This is, in my opinion, a supreme douche move.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The golden goose is being cooked slowly.

De Smith is laying the groundwork and opening new fronts in the next CBA battle because he knows how badly he got his butt kicked in the last CBA deal in 2011. He's already acknowledged or is threatening a work stoppage in 2021.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2017/09/20/nflpa-re-election-demaurice-smith-sets-stage-next-nfl-labor-war-lockout-strike-roger-goodell/687199001/