Bills vs. Chargers All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

Hughes was on fire all game. chasing plays pass receptions that Edmunds missed/got abused.

again. will never understand the folks who want to trade him. Plays his arse off . and Sunday was a fine example
One thing about the NFL is that you have to start out the season somewhat solid.
Bills are still trying to find the foundation with all the new players.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, eball said:

Good stuff.  Lots to work on for Josh but improvement from 1st half to 2nd.  Replace Groy with Bodine and let's see what happens on the OL this week.

I agree. I think it is important that they get this stuff on film, so they are able to work with him on correcting/minimizing the mistakes. You can't really do that if he is on the bench. I am glad he is out there now, because in a few weeks we will see if he is able to progress and make the necessary adjustments.   

• Like (+1) 1

In the below clip, the Chargers are in 21 personnel (2 RBs, 1 TE) but both running backs are tailbacks. The Bills are in their base 4-3 over front and they typically have their DE, who is replaced by LB Lorenzo Alexander here, in a 6-technique, which is heads up on the tight end or just inside that offensive player. The Chargers know this so they attack it by having the right tackle influence Alexander by making it look like a double-team block is about to occur on DT Harrison Phillips. With the Chargers showing a double team and the tight end releasing, Alexander is thinking gap run. So he steps down as if a pulling offensive lineman is headed his way, but that is just what the offense wants. Ekeler receives the handoff at full speed while the Bills are outflanked.

Watching now, focused on Bills O

My comments so far:

1) Josh Allen's career as an NFL QB will live-or-die based upon whether or not he can correct his accuracy on those short passes.  Simple as that.

Gotta hit the bunnies, gotta hit the bunnies, gotta hit the bunnies.

2) The OL pass blocking was much improved this week.  Josh Allen had time for the most part.  When he didn't, protections were several times at fault (whoever is calling them)

3) Groy was not doing that head-bob tell in the home stadium.  Stand by on Sunday to see if he does it on the road or if the coaches beat it out of him.

4) The run blocking - they seem to have gotten rid of most of the fancy-pants stuff they can't execute, but it's still so bad I can't determine what it's supposed to look like sometimes.  Not that I'm expert but in slo-mo replayed 3x I can usually get it.  OL seems easily confused by late shifts on defense and susceptible to a defender who plays back then charges in.   Shady is gonna get his a** killed if this keeps up.  His 30 year old body can't handle the pounding he's taking on busted plays, meaning no disrespect to Shady.

4) Are some of the plays options for Allen to keep/hand off?  If so: Josh, Shady is simply a better running back than you are.  Use him more, please.  Several plays where JA kept it on a fake that the D bit on, and Shady would still have gotten more yards.  OTOH at times, JA got moves.  He left some jocks dropped on the field at times.  Those defenders are still down there seeking their man-bits.

5) With JA right now, you can not judge the throw by the result.  He had several incompletions that were well-thrown passes messed up by uncalled holds, or risky shots placed where only the WR had a shot and a top-notch WR would get there.  He also had several completions that were crap throws with zip-code accuracy that the WR somehow managed to adjust to.  I was actually impressed by Zay Jones - twice.

Overall on JA:

1) So far, he's got game, poise, and he's  competitor.  Wants to make stuff happen and will try to carry the team.  These are positives.

2) Like any rookie, needs work at making correct reads and setting protections.  That will come as he plays.

3) I think he's always going to be Keenum-type zip-code accuracy vs. a Brees/Rodgers laser, but the Vikes last year showed (and so far Denver showing) that can work with a good OL line and good WR.  His footwork is all over the map when he flushes out, and he still delivers to the right zip code, so maybe he'll refine that over time.  I don't know.

4) Allen has got to fix that short-pass accuracy or he's toast.  Those are simply throws an NFL QB must make as "gimmees"

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/18/2018 at 10:35 AM, Negan said:

Why is Logan Thomas on this team, he cant block, he cant catch, wonder if he makes a good peach cobbler or something 

I'll have you know he's the 2nd highest rated offensive player on the team on PFF right now lol.