ESPN interview with Micah Hyde: The before, during and aftermath of Vontae’s retirement

YoloinOhio

Rodak, but good interview 

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/32194/vontae-davis-halftime-retirement-left-sour-taste-for-bills

When did you find out?

Hyde: “I found out in the third quarter. Right before the third quarter. It felt like a high school rumor going around for a second. Then once we got out there [on the field], I realized he wasn’t out there. I was like, ‘Oh, must be true.’ We went out there and played lights out in the second half. Came back to the locker room [after the game] to realize it was true. Like I said, I’ve never seen that -- maybe when I was little playing soccer. One kid being a sore loser and just going home because he didn’t want to play soccer. I don’t know. I’ve never seen anything like it before.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm shocked there are people out there supporting Davis for quitting. 

How ironic and sad is it that he wore Fred Jackson's #22? If there was a player that represents grit and determination, it's Fred.

If you absolutely think you have lost it and truly can't play another down then quit...in 30 minutes.

That's all he had to make it through.

If you are thinking that these may be the last 30 minutes you are ever going to step out on to a field...knowing there is no tomorrow, then for you own self respect wouldn't you just do it and then be done?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How ironic and sad is it that he wore Fred Jackson's #22? If there was a player that represents grit and determination, it's Fred.

Alot are.  One article I read hailed him as a hero

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If you absolutely think you have lost it and truly can't play another down then quit...in 30 minutes.

If you are thinking that these may be the last 30 minutes you are ever going to step out on to a field...knowing there is no tomorrow, then for you own self respect wouldn't you just do it and then be done?

exactly.  he could have quietly told the coaches something was up, stand on the sidelines for a bit, and announce it after the game.  he'll unfortunately be remember in a large part for this.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

it's very popular to pile on the bills now.  i get it, but this one is on davis.

• Like (+1) 1

He could have pulled himself from the game, but remained with the team. I know it's sports, and not that serious in the grand scheme of things,and they all claim they're brothers, and in it til the bitter end. What he did possibly one of the biggest B word moves I've ever seen. He literally pulled the equivalent of Robert Duran in a football game. He's going to be remembered as the guy that retired, and left his team at half time instead of someone during his prime was a top flight corner in the league, what a shame. 

I just hope he called his grandmother on his way out. 

Edited by Captain Murica

Agreed, really good interview.  Hyde did a really good job being communicative, but not letting himself be drawn into any controversies.

Really impressed with Micah Hyde after reading that.

if he’s not feeling up and ready to play, then it’s kind of hurting us, at the end of the day. So like I said, he made a decision and I don’t agree with the halftime thing, but I do agree that if he’s not physically and mentally ready to go, then he had to do what he had to do.”

1 minute ago, Captain Murica said:

He could have pulled himself from the game, but remained with the team. I know it's sports, and not that serious in the grand scheme of things,and they all claim they're brothers, and in it til the bitter end. What he did possibly one of the biggest B word moves I've ever seen. He literally pulled the equivalent of Robert Duran in a football game. He's going to remembered as the guy that left at half time instead of someone during his prime was a top flight corner, what a shame. 

No mas.

If only Sugar Ray could have been on the field to bop him in the head one last time before he left the field in the second quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

No mas.

If only Sugar Ray could have been on the field to bop him in the head one last time before he left the field in the second quarter.

Glad someone got the reference.

I know Damien played for the Pats and Jets, but I gotta say this guy is awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

He could have pulled himself from the game, but remained with the team. I know it's sports, and not that serious in the grand scheme of things,and they all claim they're brothers, and in it til the bitter end. What he did possibly one of the biggest B word moves I've ever seen. He literally pulled the equivalent of Robert Duran in a football game. He's going to be remembered as the guy that retired, and left his team at half time instead of someone during his prime was a top flight corner in the league, what a shame. 

I just hope he called his grandmother on his way out. 

Exactly what i was thinking.

So his legacy now for the rest of his life will how he ended his professional career, i think someday soon he is going to regret his decision.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

"One kid being a sore loser and just going home because he didn’t want to play soccer." Ouch...does that sting just a little bit Vontae? Nah, probably not. If the dude didn't have any form of loyalty to his mates in the trenches in the middle of the battle, then nothing said about him now will probably matter to him either. It is kind of funny though that his name is quickly turning into an action noun (e.g., exactly halfway up the forbidding slopes of K2, the sherpa decided he'd had enough of the stinging wind in his face, and turned without a word to rappel back down the mountain, and leave his rag tag group of half-frozen tourists behind to await a certain death. "Don't vontae on us now sir, please!" hauntingly echoed through the Himalayas, but eventually those sounds were swallowed up by the howl of the wind embracing the treacherous mountain...); or, in the past tense, maybe it would read something like this--"Johnny was mad because he'd been vontaed by his best friend, who never even had the decency to send him a direct text message before quitting on the model airplane project they'd been working on for half the year already."    

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He could've easily just faked a hammy or groin to save face, sit out the rest of the game, and accomplish the same thing. It was just odd.

McDermott said emphatically last night on WGR, he's where he needs to be right now. Couldn't agree more. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mostly in the comments section of various news stories about this event.

Fair enough.  Considering the level of discourse in many a comment section, nothing would surprise me there.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Instead of talking about Davis I wish someone would have asked Micah why they played lights out in the second half, what was the difference maker versus the first, adjustments, McD play calling, some Rah Rah halftime speech?

And RoyBatty for the Point of the Day

• Like (+1) 1