The NFL Can't Seem to Figure Out Roughing the Passer Calls - No Changes This Season Regarding Body Weight on QBs

26CornerBlitz

From anything any players have said it was a clean hit that Mathews did but once again the main guy in the booth that is now the head of officiating which has had his controversy in the past with calls is setting this up to be a total cluster F of a situation so expect a huge amount of calls that have grey area surrounding them through out this season & beyond !! 

It's the same thing that happened with the "is it a catch or isn't it a catch" Rule which if they would just have read the other rules that the GROUND CAN"T CAUSE A FUMBLE then it would have been clear when you hit the ground with the ball in your hand you were down but that common sense doesn't apply like it doesn't in so many other things in our world ...

10 minutes ago, T master said:

From anything any players have said it was a clean hit that Mathews did but once again the main guy in the booth that is now the head of officiating which has had his controversy in the past with calls is setting this up to be a total cluster F of a situation so expect a huge amount of calls that have grey area surrounding them through out this season & beyond !! 

It's the same thing that happened with the "is it a catch or isn't it a catch" Rule which if they would just have read the other rules that the GROUND CAN"T CAUSE A FUMBLE then it would have been clear when you hit the ground with the ball in your hand you were down but that common sense doesn't apply like it doesn't in so many other things in our world ...

so replay and trying to rewrite the rules every year hasn't solved all the problems?

On 9/18/2018 at 8:30 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ridiculous!

I enjoy how the NFL can't even interpret its own rules right and to save face for Corrente is doubling down on is game-changing, terrible call. Matthews nor Kendricks scooped-and-pulled. It's called physics, something the NFL leaders need to learn about. When a player gets hit, especially when both QBs leave the ground on their own accord as they did in both these hits, physics takes over and you have the result that occurred, a perfectly legal hit where the QBs feet leave the ground. Again, both Rodgers and Cousins jumped into the air, they were already in the air when hit. They both did it to get more force behind there passes. When that happens, your feet are going to come out from under you when your hit in the midsection. 

32 minutes ago, Gigs said:

The tech is there to automate the refs and judges. Just do it, because this inability to enforce your own rules is making the game weak

the hidden rule of officiating is to be sometimes lax on the rules to encourage creativity and excitement, to a point

you can't do that with robots and computers

On 9/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, KD in CA said:

I can always defend a bad call.  I can't defend a phantom call.  How do you throw a flag on something you didn't see?   That's the problem -- the default reaction is to throw a flag.

I mainly agree and hate phantoms- would prefer a few misses to too many calls but i amazed by amount of times calls clearly are called and expected actions and not on actual plays

I really cannot understand why a multi-billion dollar industry cannot get its act together to design and enforce rules in a clear and consistent way.

It is affecting my enjoyment of, and interest in, the sport.  I watch less and less of it.

Goodell's NFL is boring, unfair, and surprisingly reactive and stupid.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:12 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think from the refs angle he thought Matthews put all his weight on the QB, from the angle we see in this thread it is clear he didn't.  I understand why the rule, often these 310 pound DT put their weight on the QB on purpose, it doesn't assist in bringing the QB down.

All the more ridiculous given that Anthony Barr’s far dirtier hit, which put Aaron Rodgers out for most of the year, was not flagged.  Barr intentionally landed on Rodgers with his full weight well after the ball was away, the opposite of what Matthews did.

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really cannot understand why a multi-billion dollar industry cannot get its act together to design and enforce rules in a clear and consistent way.

It is affecting my enjoyment of, and interest in, the sport.  I watch less and less of it.

Goodell's NFL is boring, unfair, and surprisingly reactive and stupid.

Simple solution—video review.  It works.

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

All the more ridiculous given that Anthony Barr’s far dirtier hit, which put Aaron Rodgers out for most of the year, was not flagged.  Barr intentionally landed on Rodgers with his full weight well after the ball was away, the opposite of what Matthews did.

It wasn't called because it wasn't a roughing the passer according to the rule book at the time, but they made the "body weight" rule based off that hit.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Believe it or not it is same in other industries.  Even traffic rules have contradictions with me getting a ticket once for "impeding traffic flow" because I was going the speed limit and cars were going to my bumper and then darting into traffic.  I told officer than I could not prevent it without speeding and he said I should have sped up until traffic slowed down!

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Except it doesn't!  The NFL can't even get the video review system right - they're constantly overturning calls without clear and convincing video evidence, or letting obviously poor calls stand.  

Usually they get it right with video replay.  The fact that they occasionally screw up the replay review (always to the benefit of the Patriots) doesn’t mean the entire system is no good.  It’s used in college football to review illegal hits and it works there.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Usually they get it right with video replay.  The fact that they occasionally screw up the replay review (always to the benefit of the Patriots) doesn’t mean the entire system is no good.  It’s used in college football to review illegal hits and it works there.

occasionally screw it up???

then again they are usually only looking at tough calls, so it will have a large charge of being messed up again

this year it seems a bit better in college for correct ejection due to hits, the prior years were grossly unfair and inconsistent

but they season is still young....