The NFL Can't Seem to Figure Out Roughing the Passer Calls - No Changes This Season Regarding Body Weight on QBs

26CornerBlitz

Corrente Roughly Describes Roughing the Passer Call. It Was Rough | Football Zebras

Week 2: Vikings at Packers

Late in the fourth quarter Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews was hit with a roughing the passer penalty to extend a drive for the second consecutive week. Unlike last week, there does not seem to be much in this. Matthews contacted Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins as he released the ball and did not drive him into the ground or put his weight into landing on him. It is a tough call for referee Tony Corrente to make in real time compounded by the point of emphasis on quarterback hits this year.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Corrente Roughly Describes Roughing the Passer Call. It Was Rough | Football Zebras

Week 2: Vikings at Packers

Late in the fourth quarter Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews was hit with a roughing the passer penalty to extend a drive for the second consecutive week. Unlike last week, there does not seem to be much in this. Matthews contacted Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins as he released the ball and did not drive him into the ground or put his weight into landing on him. It is a tough call for referee Tony Corrente to make in real time compounded by the point of emphasis on quarterback hits this year.

Might as well put a red shirt on him

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I agree.  It's a mess.

Also very confusing and inconsistent:  the occasional blowing of a whistle when a QB is ruled "in the grasp" or "forward momentum" stopped.  This usually is the call when it's an excuse to take away a forced fumble from the Bills defense.  Also, to some extent, intentional grounding is all over the place in terms of how it's interpreted.

I think from the refs angle he thought Matthews put all his weight on the QB, from the angle we see in this thread it is clear he didn't.  I understand why the rule, often these 310 pound DT put their weight on the QB on purpose, it doesn't assist in bringing the QB down.

Put with the asinine what is a catch anymore in the NFL get used to arbitrary calls like this.

Garbage calls imo. If guys weigh 300 + lbs and they fall on you, so be it. That’s what they weigh, so tell the OL to block better. There was already a rule against body slamming a player ( which didn’t happen in these instances ) so any change was unnecessary. We saw the maddening inconsistency on full display Sunday with forward progress / in the grasp calls involving Allen and Rivers. The NFL needs to stop this nonsense. Players get hurt, including QBs. It’s the nature of the game. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

bad call

happens

I can always defend a bad call.  I can't defend a phantom call.  How do you throw a flag on something you didn't see?   That's the problem -- the default reaction is to throw a flag.

• Like (+1) 1

The past few years, the NFL couldn't figure out what a completed pass looked like.  Now it's how a QB gets sacked.  They're just making things so complicated. 

The completed pass problem came about because the refs blew a call, I think it was with a Cowboys receiver, and then kept telling the same (wrong) story, digging themselves a deeper and deeper hole.  The same thing will happen here.  Things will likely improve once the aged and brittle Brady retires.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I can always defend a bad call.  I can't defend a phantom call.  How do you throw a flag on something you didn't see?   That's the problem -- the default reaction is to throw a flag.

a really really bad call

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

This is getting nauseating.  I'm finding that I'm less interested in the NFL year over year.  It's just getting worse.  Used to sit and watch games all day long.  Flag football it is I guess.  

Amen.  This will be my last year of season tix.

Everything you said, plus the fact that our franchise has zero entertainment value whatsoever, from the ownership down to the fans. It’s all so boring and played out.

5 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Yeah, I agree.  It's a mess.

Also very confusing and inconsistent:  the occasional blowing of a whistle when a QB is ruled "in the grasp" or "forward momentum" stopped.  This usually is the call when it's an excuse to take away a forced fumble from the Bills defense.  Also, to some extent, intentional grounding is all over the place in terms of how it's interpreted.

Agreed - there's no consistency with the NFL and they'd rather throw a PR title solution at the problem rather than sit down and actually plan out a way to make it happen. The new rule is 100% for PR purposes of protecting players, yet little to nothing has been done to determine how the rule is and should be interpreted. They've effectively red shirted an entire position in the game.

To the Bills point, I'm wondering if the past two games had more to do with having Rookie Refs both weeks. Not like the vets call a good game anyway, but at least give us less excuses come Monday...

Intentional grounding seems to be this thing that exists everywhere, yet goes unnoticed every time...maybe because the refs are too busy looking at: where the QB got hit; how hard; how far; how long since he threw it; was it actually bad or did it just look bad; is his name Brady; what do I want for dinner tonight; etc. and not so much where the ball is actually being thrown...

11 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

To the Bills point, I'm wondering if the past two games had more to do with having Rookie Refs both weeks. Not like the vets call a good game anyway, but at least give us less excuses come Monday...

No, not at all.