The NFL Can't Seem to Figure Out Roughing the Passer Calls - No Changes This Season Regarding Body Weight on QBs

26CornerBlitz

15 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So here's my question.  Obviously Josh is differently built than a guy like Deshaun Watson, is his physicality going to lead to him being officiated differently than a more "slight" QB?

Success plays much more heavily in how a QB is protected by the refs, but, in the past even big/successful QBs didn't get the calls. I think that even that may be shifting.

5 hours ago, dezertbill said:

In a Podcast with Dean Blandino, Pereira says he has spoken to a current member and former member of the competition committee who is furious that the rule doesn't take into account whether the defenders weight on the QB was "unnecessary" or not.  If you put weight on the QB, period, it's a foul.  That's not how it was written or the spirit of the rule.  It was more meant for players who took several steps (I.E. Anthony Barr w/ Aaron Rodgers) vs. someone who lands on the QB within a split second.

Pereira goes on to say a majority of the competition committee (6 our of 8 ) feel that the Matthews hit WAS NOT an infraction.

Now, I'm not sure how someone could not see the "unnecessary" part, or "strive to" part of the rule.  But then I realize we are talking about Al Riveron, the genius who screwed the NFL for years with him micromanaging each and every catch by the millisecond and over turning catches that the spirit of the catch rule was not meant to overturn.

So we find ourselves again with a dips%!& Riveron who once again has taken it upon himself to take a rule that was meant to eliminate "Unnecessary" and blatant force and turn it into pretty much each and every occurrence as law.  Players, coaches, and media are speaking out about how ridiculous and inconsistent the rule is, and how it needs to be fixed.  Meanwhile Riveron sits in his perch in NYC basking in the glow that, once again, he has ruled as a dictator in a way that has thrown the game into disarray.  

To me, Riveron has to go.  He is a moron and for the second time within the last few years, he has made life in the NFL a cluster for the league and it's players, including a DL now blowing out his knee in Miami to avoid getting flagged.  

Riveron is an idiot that needs to be replaced immediately.  Especially when you have former refs who were in his position come out and say the calls are dead wrong.

Mike Pereira Twitter

I do not disagree that Riveron needs to go, but to blame this on him is just wrong in my opinion.  

The competition committee created an ambiguous rule using the words “unnecessary” in the rule.  What is unnecessary?  I would rather see the NFL call it every time someone lands on a QB with his full weight rather than a referee try to determine if it was unnecessary or not.  To me each week - Matthews has purposely went right through midsection of the QB - driving him backwards and landing directly on top of the QB.  The only one I question is week 2 he had his hands out and did not land with his full weight.  I see other guys come up the middle and hit the QB, but slide to one side or the other to not fully land on the QB.

I agree the intent is to stop a hit like Barr on Rodgers, but trying to write a rule to stop one type of play is going to impact others as we have seen with the catch rule.  The catch rule worked for years until slow motion replay showed there were flaws.  Then they tried to write the rules to eliminate the one offs and it impacted plays that were not intended in the original purpose.  This was not a Riveron issue either - he just handled it poorly when it came time to explain the situation.  The issues were there before Riveron and will be there long after he is gone.  

Football is a massively complex and fast game meaning there are just a lot of things that occur right on the edge in gray areas and fans get mad about these plays.  The NFL responds by trying to “fix” the problem with a rule, but the consequences are on unintended plays that cause additional frustration.  No matter what people are upset and in the internet world - small groups have loud voices leading to overreacting to correct non-issues.

• Like (+1) 1

Last nights game was ridiculous. I think Tomlin told them don’t hold back just play play football. They were destroying Fitz.

That should be how teams approach it. If your going to flag me anyways I’m going to get my moneys worth. Drill that QB, drive him into th ground. 

Edited by Commonsense

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again - the NFL is populated by morons. It amazes me how a billion dollar industry manufactures its own controversies and gets in its own way year after year.

The NFL unnecessarily falls on itself!

Truly amazing.  They spend years trying to fix the "catch rule" which they made a problem in the first place, then follow that up by creating a rule that is just as ambiguous and is affecting games much much more.  If Vince McMahon is smart, he as an opportunity to take some of the NFL's market for sure.

23 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I think this is a big overreaction by the league so that the players get so fed up so that they ask the NFL to sign a waiver to future lawsuits. (yeah, sounds stupid, but....)

I think it's an overemphasis  on protection of QBs who are so important to the way the game is played these days. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think it's an overemphasis  on protection of QBs who are so important to the way the game is played these days. 

Yeah maybe so - but the NFL has a serious integrity problem at this point and needs to stop being so tone-deaf.  Sports betting is now legal, the implications of that haven't fully set in for the league - you cannot have games swing on discretionary, ill-understood calls on a weekly basis, too much money is at stake.

33 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Truly amazing.  They spend years trying to fix the "catch rule" which they made a problem in the first place, then follow that up by creating a rule that is just as ambiguous and is affecting games much much more.  If Vince McMahon is smart, he as an opportunity to take some of the NFL's market for sure.

Again, with betting on games now legal in many states - the NFL needs to get its act together.  They are amazingly tone deaf, reactionary, and stupid.  You've got a bunch of billionaire owners who are not used to being challenged or questioned, a well-paid fig leaf commissioner whose only job is to protect the owners at all costs, and an administrative regime run by incompetents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s a terrible evolution of the rule and is clearly not working to protect the QB. If it was working they wouldn’t need to call it because nobody would be hitting the QB anymore! It doesn’t do much good to call it AFTER the ‘hit’ has been laid. Were there really that many QB concussions in previous years caused by a head slap? As I recall TT hit his head on the ground, not on an opponent! And Jimmy G just went out with a KNEE injury.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not disagree that Riveron needs to go, but to blame this on him is just wrong in my opinion.  

The competition committee created an ambiguous rule using the words “unnecessary” in the rule.  What is unnecessary?  I would rather see the NFL call it every time someone lands on a QB with his full weight rather than a referee try to determine if it was unnecessary or not.  To me each week - Matthews has purposely went right through midsection of the QB - driving him backwards and landing directly on top of the QB.  The only one I question is week 2 he had his hands out and did not land with his full weight.  I see other guys come up the middle and hit the QB, but slide to one side or the other to not fully land on the QB.

You mean you're ok with penalty flags being thrown for textbook tackles?

BTW, did you enjoy the flag football league in the offseason?  That was a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again - the NFL is populated by morons. It amazes me how a billion dollar industry manufactures its own controversies and gets in its own way year after year.

The NFL unnecessarily falls on itself!

There are two underlying issues that are driving the league into a state where it will not function.  

The first is that it is a QB driven league and they are doing everything they can to protect QBS, even to the point of absurdity,  Take a look back to the “old days” when RB’s were the feature players.  Many of them went down with knee injuries did the league do anything to change that situation for them? No.

The league is also trying to mandate or by rule creation eliminate concussions.  It’s a violent sport and they are not going to make it otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yeah maybe so - but the NFL has a serious integrity problem at this point and needs to stop being so tone-deaf.  Sports betting is now legal, the implications of that haven't fully set in for the league - you cannot have games swing on discretionary, ill-understood calls on a weekly basis, too much money is at stake.

They have to address and remedy this issue as it's gone too far.

Personally, i think the NFL has been so watered down by the rules that it's almost to the point that it's unbearable to watch. I know they say they want to make the game safer to play but it's FOOTBALL. it's not a safe game and it's part of the reason they are paid such high salaries for their talents. I would rather they take all these rules that were put in place for "player safety" and just let them play. 

I was watching last nights game when Rothlesburger was getting taken down just after throwing the ball. The Tampa player (Don't remember who) tried to let up and in mid tackle was already saying sorry to Ben and that he tried to pull out of the tackle. The ref was right there and heard him and still called it roughing the passer. On the replay you could see he was trying to dis-engage from the tackle but it was too late. It wasn't even that hard of a hit and he didn't put his "full weight" on him and it was still called. Utter BS if you ask me.

Edited by BigPappy
  • Like (+1) 1

Riveron seems to be in way over his head and is overstepping his mandate on a regular basis. 

Last year, Riveron hijacked replay review and completely ignored the “clear and convincing” evidence standard for overturning calls on the field on several occasions (remember the KB non-catch?) 

This year, if you believe the Post’s report, Al and his refs are again ignoring the spirit of the rules and applying their own skewed interpretations to words like “unnecessary” and basically calling everything. Riveron’s weekly “teaching videos” are being called ridiculous and useless by NFL-partnered media like PFT.

Retaining Riveron is yet another failure of Goddell and the owners. He may be a nice guy and I am sure the league wants stability at that position after Blandino bolted, but Riveron is a proven stooge at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL should look up the term "GRAVITY". It may make them realize that the updated roughing the passer rule that has been implemented is, in fact completely moronic.

If a player was fined, I would imagine the NFL would LOSE in court if it was appealed.

You can't stop your bodyweight from falling into someone if you are chasing them trying to tackle them to help out your team, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.