4. Matt Milano - 73.6

5. Levi Wallace - 72.4

The bottom 5 graded on defense (minimum 150 snaps) are:

5. Eddie Yarbrough - 60.2

4. Star Lotulelei - 58.4

3. Rafael Bush 57.1

2. Jordan Phillips - 55.1

1. Tremaine Edmunds - 51.6

I'm admittedly not a fan of PFF. That said, I have two major quibbles with these grades: first and most glaringly obvious is no mention of White in top defensive grades. He is IMO one of the three best DBs in the entire league. Any list of top Bills defensive players without him at the top is off to a bad start. Second: I am not as enamored of Dawkins as they apparently are. I think he's been average at best and a liability at worst. He's still learning the position and he's got a lot of strength (when he engages and he's properly set you can't move him) but his technique in pass pro against agile DEs in particular needs a ton of work. 

Edmunds ranked worst seems a little harsh but understandable. I have no concerns about him. I'd argue Lotulelei is ranked lower than need be and Williams has clearly been more of a positive on defense than Wallace (who I like opposite White...sort of has that modern corner frame going on). I might swap Jones for Foster as well but that's probably splitting hairs.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm admittedly not a fan of PFF. That said, I have two major quibbles with these grades: first and most glaringly obvious is no mention of White in top defensive grades. He is IMO one of the three best DBs in the entire league. Any list of top Bills defensive players without him at the top is off to a bad start. Second: I am not as enamored of Dawkins as they apparently are. I think he's been average at best and a liability at worst. He's still learning the position and he's got a lot of strength (when he engages and he's properly set you can't move him) but his technique in pass pro against agile DEs in particular needs a ton of work. 

Edmunds ranked worst seems a little harsh but understandable. I have no concerns about him. I'd argue Lotulelei is ranked lower than need be and Williams has clearly been more of a positive on defense than Wallace (who I like opposite White...sort of has that modern corner frame going on). I might swap Jones for Foster as well but that's probably splitting hairs.

I agree on Tre. I think one of the gradings flaws is that DBs who never get thrown at almost get punished for that. He is clearly the best player on the Bills defense and indeed team.  Dion I think they have ranked about right. His grade is a league average olineman grade - to put it in perspective he grades 44th out of 78 qualifying offensive tackles in the NFL. That he is the Bills' 4th best ranked offensive player says more about the Bills offensive talent than it does about Dawkins. 

On the defensive side Wallace is a small sample size - he only just meets the qualifying criteria of number of snaps. Shaq Lawson is just behind him as our 6th best ranked defensive player. 

On Zay - he is rising rapidly. Going back 4 or 5 weeks he was one of our worst graded players. His grade is up into the 60s now and he isn't far off the top 5. 

PFF isn't perfect, far from it, but it is a useful tool and the Tre White anomoly aside it isn't that far away from what my eyes are seeing either. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

It's nice to see that Allen and Foster are doing relatively well. I know PFF tries to avoid this, however I would think that as a team plays better it makes it easier for each player to get a higher grade. Allen, Foster (and apparently Zay) seem to be doing well in spite of poor O-line play.

Also, if PFF is trusted, then McCoy's grade is interesting. Many on here seem to think he is underperforming (he still might be), but this is indicative that he's still doing better than the average player on the team.

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

It's nice to see that Allen and Foster are doing relatively well. I know PFF tries to avoid this, however I would think that as a team plays better it makes it easier for each player to get a higher grade. Allen, Foster (and apparently Zay) seem to be doing well in spite of poor O-line play.

Also, if PFF is trusted, then McCoy's grade is interesting. Many on here seem to think he is underperforming (he still might be), but this is indicative that he's still doing better than the average player on the team.

Regarding McCoy, he’s ranked 47th out of 62 qualifying RBs, so pretty damn bad considering he’s like the 2nd highest paid RB in the league. 

16 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Regarding McCoy, he’s ranked 47th out of 62 qualifying RBs, so pretty damn bad considering he’s like the 2nd highest paid RB in the league. 

I agree with that, he is definitely underperforming his salary. I think on the continuum of Shady sucks to he's behind a crappy o-line. PFF suggests it's further to the right than the knee-jerk reactions on the board here reflect. That being said, he needs to play better. 

• Like (+1) 1

The rankings seem accurate to me foster has been open downfield alot Allen has just missed connecting multiple times I've been saying tremaine Edmunds isn't a middle linebacker he's an outside linebacker we need a true middle linebacker with instincts athletic ability is wasted without instincts on the outside he becomes heat seeking missile Tre white is a victim of his own success teams are game planning for him more the offensive line is struggling more because of the lost of wood at center need a center to anchor and lead the line 

• 4 weeks later...

So let's put the wrap on this for the year:

So the top 5 graded on offense (minimum 200 snaps in Buffalo) are:

1. Chris Ivory - 74.3

2. Robert Foster - 72.1

3. Dion Dawkins - 69.2

4. Isiah McKenzie - 67.0

5. Josh Allen - 65.5

The bottom 5 graded on offense (minimum 200 snaps) are:

5. Wyatt Teller 55.5

4. Jason Croom - 53.3

3. Logan Thomas - 52.1

2. Vlad Ducasse - 49.8

1. Ryan Groy - 46.7

So the top 5 graded on defense (minimum 200 snaps) are:

1. Jerry Hughes - 88.7

2. Lorenzo Alexander - 85.7

3. Micah Hyde - 84.0

4. Levi Wallace - 83.5

5. Shaq Lawson - 76.4

The bottom 5 graded on defense (minimum 200 snaps) are:

5. Star Lotulelei - 59.9

4. Trent Murphy - 58.1

2=. Tremaine Edmunds - 57.4

2=. Eddie Yarbrough - 57.4

1. Jordan Phillips - 52.0

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The bottom 5 graded on defense (minimum 200 snaps) are:

5. Star Lotulelei - 59.9

4. Trent Murphy - 58.1

2=. Tremaine Edmunds - 57.4

2=. Eddie Yarbrough - 57.4

1. Jordan Phillips - 52.0

I don't buy the Edmunds #'s.  I thought the rookie played very well as the QB of the defense.  

It sure looked to me that when Edmunds was out for concussion the D was worse than normal. 

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't buy the Edmunds #'s.  I thought the rookie played very well as the QB of the defense.  

It sure looked to me that when Edmunds was out for concussion the D was worse than normal. 

Just like most stats they are simply metrics not the be-all-end-all

23 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I thought he made a lot of splash plays but he made a lot of basic errors as well - especially run game discipline. I can understand the grade.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought he made a lot of splash plays but he made a lot of basic errors as well - especially run game discipline. I can understand the grade.

He made some great plays and still has plenty of room for improvement. That's a positive in my book!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Like most stats they can paint a decent understanding of what’s going on. Much better than the fan’s “eye test”.  

Calm down neddy boy, I know you are still smarting over the Tyrod comment.

I'm not discounting PFF, I'm simply pointing out what I have always believed about stats, which is that they are metrics to be used to analyze performance but never are they determinants to make final conclusions.

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007288/article/titans-derrick-henry-among-nfl-players-of-the-month

Tremaine Edmunds earned the Defensive Rookie of the Month honor to help bolster the growing excitement of the young roster in Buffalo.

In the Bills' blowout home win against the Dolphins in the final game of their season, Edmunds had the best game of his inaugural year; recording a pick, a sack, and a season-high 12 tackles in the game.

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Calm down neddy boy, I know you are still smarting over the Tyrod comment.

I'm not discounting PFF, I'm simply pointing out what I have always believed about stats, which is that they are metrics to be used to analyze performance but never are they determinants to make final conclusions.

Exactly.    Stats do not tell the whole picture