PFF's view so far

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

Groy is a partial victim of the people around him. He stepped-in nicely for Eric Wood in 2016 but he also had Richie Incognito lined-up next to him.....now look what he has. Vlad the stiff and Miller. 2 guys who probably don't start anywhere else in the NFL.

I'm not defending Groy, but he's not the only problem.

Don't forget that there's been a blocking scheme change since 2016 that may not suit his playing style.  That's been Miller's problem, too, as he was looking very good as a young starting RG in 2016 but has been struggling under the McDermott/Castillo.  Groy was picked up to fit the previous blocking scheme, so like Miller, he may be struggling to adapt.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know there are mixed opinions on the value of PFF - and that is fair enough.  Through two games their top 5 graded Bills are:

1. Josh Allen - 73.3

2. Matt Milano - 71.5

3. Kyle Williams - 68.9

4. Micah Hyde - 67.6

5. Jordan Poyer - 66.5

Their worst 5 are:

1. Nathan Peterman - 24.3

2. Ryan Groy - 40.0

3. Kelvin Benjamin - 41.8

4. Charles Clay - 47.7

5. Star Lotulelei - 48.0

Some of that matches my eye test.... but some of it doesn't.  Interested in what others think.

Sounds about right. Would like to know which one of these you dont think is passing the eye test??

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not to hand but in order they grade:

1. Mills

2. Ducasse

T3. Dawkins

T3. Miller

5. Groy

:sick:

Some more info:

PFF BUF Bills @PFF_Bills 51m51 minutes ago
Here are the top graded defensive #Bills players from the Week 2 game with the #Chargers (min 15 snaps). #BillsMafia #GoBillsBUFBills18.png
Lorenzo Alexander - 78.4
Harrison Phillips - 73.5
Tre'Davious White - 72.7
Matt Milano - 71.5
Kyle Williams - 67.9

ore
Replying to @REALRICO_BF

Jerry Hughes finished with an overall defense grade of 66.7 but lead the team with a 75.8 pass-rush grade. Tremaine Edmunds had a rough game mostly due to his coverage finishing with a 25.9 overall defense grade. He allowed 10 catches on 11 targets for 111 yards and a TD.

PFF BUF Bills‏ @PFF_Bills 5m5 minutes ago

ore

Star finished with a 67.0 overall defense grade with a 68.8 in run defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Sounds about right. Would like to know which one of these you dont think is passing the eye test??

More that I think Tre White has been our best player through two games based on eye test, surprised he isn't among the top 5. Also think that is a little high for Milano who I do think has been pretty good but probably wouldn't have had as our second highest performer - there has been some inconsistency from him in his gap discipline in the run game to my eyes.

The worst 5 probably are closer to what the eye test tells you.

EDIT: On a double check I have actually missed Zo - he ranks our highest player overall ahead of Allen.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

More that I think Tre White has been our best player through two games based on eye test, surprised he isn't among the top 5. Also think that is a little high for Milano who I do think has been pretty good but probably wouldn't have had as our second highest performer - there has been some inconsistency from him in his gap discipline in the run game to my eyes.

The worst 5 probably are closer to what the eye test tells you.

EDIT: On a double check I have actually missed Zo - he ranks our highest player overall ahead of Allen.

PFF is this early is going to hurt Trey a bit because he is flat out being ignored. No one throwing at him (that in itself is a great thing). 

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Their rankings are proprietary, like ESPN’s total QBR. 

They are based at their core on a subjective play by play review of every player and play by their analysts. Everything is assigned a value from -2 to 2, then converted to a 0-100 scale.

basically if you don’t trust the PFF guys, they mean nothing.

Link to their explanation of grading: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-player-grades 

Need to trade those top 5 players so really get the rebuild going.  We might win a game otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

PFF is this early is going to hurt Trey a bit because he is flat out being ignored. No one throwing at him (that in itself is a great thing). 

I trust the deep analysis here rather than people who do it for a living. 

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Need to trade those top 5 players so really get the rebuild going.  We might win a game otherwise. 

I trust the deep analysis here rather than people who do it for a living. 

i wonder what you really have going on in there.  i think i'm going to get some insight from you, but they tend to be just nothing, snarky posts.  i know you have something good to say...just waiting to hear it.

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yea I get that - especially when we have an injured scrub, a 5th round pick and a retired bloke at the other corner spots.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, teef said:

i wonder what you really have going on in there.  i think i'm going to get some insight from you, but they tend to be just nothing, snarky posts.  i know you have something good to say...just waiting to hear it.

teef you are too kind. I’m not sure if I have anything good to say about this year. I’m rather stunned. And I do not think cap space can get us out of this. So I thought I’d just add more snarky comments like PFF sucks and so on. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think Poyer had a rough game this week. If they weren't going after Edmund's, they were going after Poyer. I'd say he's taken a step back from last year when he was so effective. 

You mean Poy-yay?  Maybe his personal life is impacting his play on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

teef you are too kind. I’m not sure if I have anything good to say about this year. I’m rather stunned. And I do not think cap space can get us out of this. So I thought I’d just add more snarky comments like PFF sucks and so on. 

it won't be just cap space.  it will be cap space, draft picks, and development of the young guys that will hopefully drag the bills out of this hole.  this team will looks quite a bit different next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

it won't be just cap space.  it will be cap space, draft picks, and development of the young guys that will hopefully drag the bills out of this hole.  this team will looks quite a bit different next year.

I don’t think this is a good environment to develop a QB.  I think free agents won’t want to come to a situation like buffalo.  All teams have draft picks. That’s not an advantage. I don’t see good talent evaluation. And even though I like Allen and wish he become a good qb we haven’t really seen any of this yet. Couple laser throws don’t impress me yet.   The decline in the team from last year is alarming. 

Edited by nedboy7

11 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I don’t think this is a good environment to develop a QB.  I think free agents won’t want to come to a situation like buffalo.  All teams have draft picks. That’s not an advantage. I don’t see good talent evaluation. And even though I like Allen and wish he become a good qb we haven’t really seen any of this yet. Couple laser throws don’t impress me yet.   The decline in the team from last year is alarming. 

i don't know if this is a good environment to develop a qb.  i'm more of the philosophy that a good qb will develop over time no matter what, (you obviously have to give him some tools to work with over time).  i'm not saying having a number of draft picks is a massive advantage, but it's how the rebuild is going to happen.  now, if you don't have any confidence that the right talent will be brought in, that i completely get.  i just haven't personally made that determination yet, and probably won't until next fall.  the team declining from last year doesn't alarm me at all.  they're certainly worse than i thought, but taking a step back was going to be part of this thing.  it just can't be a continued part of it next year.  we're really just forced to sit and wait.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Oh hey look Star is as bad as he was in Carolina. Quality move.

Oh hey look Kelvin Benjamin isn't very good. Another Carolina guy.

How are Watkins and Dareus performing?

Watkins signed 3 years $48 million, with $21 bonus and $30 mil guaranteed

Dareus is still on the massive contract we gave him.

Benjamin we can be rid of after this year (thank god)

Star has a pretty meh contract. It sounded worse in the initial reports, but it's not as big of an albatross as it initially looked like.

Dareus is better than Star

Watkins is better than Benjamin

The issue was the $$.

Watkins is a MASSIVE risk with his injury history.

Dareus was lazy and has never proved to be consistently motivated.

A rebuilding team like buffalo could not afford to be sitting on a potential dumpster-fire set of contracts like these two.

If dareus continued to be lazy (most likely) and Watkins got seriously injured (again, high risk) then we would be stuck with them, burning up the cap space.

Instead we took some up front hits last year and this year to wash ourselves clean of them.

Was it the right move to get rid of them? YES it was.

The players they replaced them with, I'm not so sure that was the right move. KB sucks. Star is meh.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know there are mixed opinions on the value of PFF - and that is fair enough.  Through two games their top 5 graded Bills are:

1. Lorenzo Alexander 86.3

1. 2. Josh Allen - 73.3

2. 3. Matt Milano - 71.5

3. 4. Kyle Williams - 68.9

4. 5. Micah Hyde - 67.6

5. 6. Jordan Poyer - 66.5

Their worst 5 are:

1. Nathan Peterman - 24.3

2. Ryan Groy - 40.0

3. Kelvin Benjamin - 41.8

4. Charles Clay - 47.7

5. Star Lotulelei - 48.0

Some of that matches my eye test.... but some of it doesn't.  Interested in what others think.

EDIT: Sorry - I missed Zo!!!!

Where’s Tre?