The OL Is Bad....How Do You Fix It?

BuffaloRush

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Interesting that Daboll was brought  in for his creative mind,  over the mundane and archaic Dennison, to which I say.... Hellooo, I'm waiting. 

Castillo is nothing but a mystery concerning his existence. 

I’ve liked what I see in pre-snap looks and not-seen-before formations from Dabs, along with better passing than Tuhrod. Can’t say though if it’s him, Castillo or just terrible OL players that are crippling the offense to date. Likely a combination of all 3?

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Bench Miller and start Teller

2. Wait two more weeks and target a top 10 G with 2+ years on their contract - offer a 3rd round pick and KB

3. Trade down in the first round and draft the best C in the draft and a RT.

4. Add a WR in FA

5. Add two LB, a TE, and two DB in the draft

6. Fire Castillo and return to the blocking scheme of 14.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from the McDermott press conference.  Basically he’s open to the idea of shaking up the OL.  How would you attempt to fix the Bills OL?  Remember, there aren’t really any big names out there on the street who can come in and make a sizeable impact, so your actions are limited to moves you can on the roster and different offensive packages/schemes etc.

well they are screwed now but might as well go with the youngster to get them more experience, like Allen is.

3 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Picks 2 ,3 and 4 in the draft 

Or free agency

1. Fire Teflon Juan

2. Fire Teflon Juan

3. Start Teller in place of Ducasse (move Ducasse to RG)

4. Hire Juan Castillo - just to fire him immediately again

5.  Work out every RT and OG that is a FA. Sign an improvement to Ducasse and Mills

6. Call Juan Castillo to remind him he is Fired 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Trade down in the off season from top 5 pick to middle and end of round one and use both picks for O line. 

Then use cap cap space for stud vet. It will be young but better next year. Groy Miller and Ducasse don’t start in 2019. 

Beane needs to stay away from skill position picks early. This team needs trench help. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

Other than hoping some in-house guys can understand wtf Juan is talking about and can stand up physically, there's really not much you can do at this point.  Bringing someone in at this point would kinda be a waste since it's going to take them the rest of the damn season to figure out what the hell Juan is teaching.  To me you have to hope that Teller and Boettger develop quickly so they can take over the G spots.  Center is just going to be a physically weak spot.

Too little, too late.  The time to fix the OL was back in the off season during FA and the draft. 

Furthermore, if McDermott's just realized that the OL is a cesspool, then that raises of serious questions about his fitness to be a HC.

7 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Bench Miller and start Teller

2. Wait two more weeks and target a top 10 G with 2+ years on their contract - offer a 3rd round pick and KB

3. Trade down in the first round and draft the best C in the draft and a RT.

4. Add a WR in FA

5. Add two LB, a TE, and two DB in the draft

Not bad.

Start plugging in rookies, someone that may actually learn and begin to play well after a few weeks.  It can't get worse than the garbage they have out there now.

Right side was garbage last year - then they move the garbage to the left side and fill the right side with more garbage....thus it STINKS.  Major failure of the front office not to address this mess AT ALL.  WTF were they thinking?

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from the McDermott press conference.  Basically he’s open to the idea of shaking up the OL.  How would you attempt to fix the Bills OL?  Remember, there aren’t really any big names out there on the street who can come in and make a sizeable impact, so your actions are limited to moves you can on the roster and different offensive packages/schemes etc.

You realize this limitation is a non-sequitor, correct?  Just because there aren't any big names out there on the street, does not mean there aren't OLmen available on practice squads or as lower level FA who might contribute.  So that's a rather fallacious limitation.

As far as schemes, I've said elsewhere that from watching the first week, I thought we blocked better when our blocking scheme was simpler and closer to "see that dude across from you? Get him" and worse when our blocking scheme involved motion, especially bi-directional motion (I saw tripping over feet at worst, inability to re-set and gain leverage quickly enough at best).  So looking hard at the film, accepting our current OL's limitations and throwing some of the schemes out the window might help more than is thought.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Older article as some have resigned Lewan and Matthews who were #1 and #2 .. but here are the 2019 FA's ... thoughts?

3. Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks
4. Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers
5. Rob Havenstein, Los Angeles Rams

The emphasis placed on established veterans over promising prospects is greater than ever as the collegiate game struggles to produce ready-made offensive linemen. As such, contracts for blockers have skyrocketed the last few years, and the growth should continue with two of the game's better young left tackles, Lewan and Matthews, potentially available in 2019.

Duane Brown, on the other hand, can still land a massive payday—Andrew Whitworth and Nate Solder did despite their ages.

Williams and Havenstein are right tackles.

Guard

1. Ali Marpet, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. Shaq Mason, New England Patriots
3. Quinton Spain, Tennessee Titans
4. Mike Iupati, Arizona Cardinals
5. Jack Mewhort, Indianapolis Colts

Guard isn't as glamorous as tackle, but the price tags for some of the league's best interior blockers rival their counterparts. Marpet should be the next to receive a large check because he can excel at both guard spots and center.

Mason is one of the game's best run-blockers, while Spain is 26 years old with 27 starts over the last two seasons.

Iupati and Mewhort could be higher on the list if not for their injury histories.

Center

1. Matt Paradis, Denver Broncos
2. Mitch Morse, Kansas City Chiefs
3. Brett Jones, New York Giants
4. Travis Swanson, New York Jets
5. Nick Easton, Minnesota Vikings

Center doesn't present the same depth as guard and tackle, but Paradis is an underappreciated and reliable option with 48 starts over the last three seasons

Morse is younger and more physically gifted, yet he dealt with a foot injury in 2017 and needs to return to form.

Jones, Swanson and Easton have all started and have enough flexibility to play guard.

7 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Get rid of Castillo

Not that I am a fan of Castillo by any stretch but that wouldn't work. Remember when we brought in McNally? He was going to make our OL good with a "new scheme."  Well, he looked like he wanted to cry on the sidelines. There was zero improvement because there was a lack of talent, plain and simple.

It is extremely hard to get good blockers outside of the draft. Teams keep these guys. The only team that I know of with a history of dumping their best blockers is the Buffalo Bills.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not gonna see wholesale changes on the OL after the season starts without injury.....

Dawkins - LT our best OL men

Decausse....the OL coaches boy for some reason....not going anywhere

Center.....you could see Bodine in place of Groy but I doubt it....so Groy stays

RIGHT GUARD.....Miller out.....Wyatt Teller in

Mills stays at RT

If this happens the team will continue to suck.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve liked what I see in pre-snap looks and not-seen-before formations from Dabs, along with better passing than Tuhrod. Can’t say though if it’s him, Castillo or just terrible OL players that are crippling the offense to date. Likely a combination of all 3?

Coach Saban was quoted this week as saying that Daboll basically brought the NE passing game to Alabama.

I agree that Daboll is not the problem. We have little to no offensive talent aside for an aging McCoy. That's basically it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Replace all five O-Linemen. Trade for aging Penn on Oakland. Put him in next to Teller. Have Penn and Teller create magic and make Juan disappear.  Then switch Nate Orchard to the O-Line, and put him next to Ian Park, who we will sign soon according to my dream. So, that leaves one spot left. We bring back DeBeer. So, our startng 5 are: Penn, Teller, Orchard, Park, DeBeer. I that should work. 

7 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Dump Ducasse and Miller and sign a couple of fat drunk guys from the stands.

Or sign the three guys fighting at the Lackawana toll plaza.  They at least showed some spirit and the one guy through a shoe ten yards, so he's got that going for him.  Quick fix for our OL's interior.

Edited by Flutie Flakes
  • Haha (+1) 1