The OL Is Bad....How Do You Fix It?

BuffaloRush

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

1. Fire Teflon Juan

2. Fire Teflon Juan

3. Start Teller in place of Ducasse (move Ducasse to RG)

4. Hire Juan Castillo - just to fire him immediately again

5.  Work out every RT and OG that is a FA. Sign an improvement to Ducasse and Mills

6. Call Juan Castillo to remind him he is Fired 

I'm on board i would think the rookies could do as well as the vets are doing to this point & maybe even better because they are hungrier & from what i've heard about Teller's strength that could be a plus .

For the last 2 seasons it has been more than apparent to every one but this O line coaching staff that Ducasse & Mills are average or below average at best & have finished in the bottom half of rankings each of the last 2 seasons so why are they still there ? Could it be because Juan is good buddies with Vlad I'm thinking that's part of it the other is he can't see the forest for the trees !!

Last year the O line was doing terrible as another poster said & when the guys went & said for the coach to simplify the blocking scheme things changed quickly & i'm one to think that if you don't learn from your past it time for you to go so set Juan free or give him a quality control position some where other than the O line !! 

Firing Castillo and replacing him with a better instructor would go a long way to improve the short term effectiveness of the unit. 

Talent needs proper instruction.  

I'd also hire at least two former NFL linemen who have relevant, recent experience - in helping teach guys like Groy who's learning on the job.  

3 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Older article as some have resigned Lewan and Matthews who were #1 and #2 .. but here are the 2019 FA's ... thoughts?

3. Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks
4. Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers
5. Rob Havenstein, Los Angeles Rams

The emphasis placed on established veterans over promising prospects is greater than ever as the collegiate game struggles to produce ready-made offensive linemen. As such, contracts for blockers have skyrocketed the last few years, and the growth should continue with two of the game's better young left tackles, Lewan and Matthews, potentially available in 2019.

Duane Brown, on the other hand, can still land a massive payday—Andrew Whitworth and Nate Solder did despite their ages.

Williams and Havenstein are right tackles.

Guard

1. Ali Marpet, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. Shaq Mason, New England Patriots
3. Quinton Spain, Tennessee Titans
4. Mike Iupati, Arizona Cardinals
5. Jack Mewhort, Indianapolis Colts

Guard isn't as glamorous as tackle, but the price tags for some of the league's best interior blockers rival their counterparts. Marpet should be the next to receive a large check because he can excel at both guard spots and center.

Mason is one of the game's best run-blockers, while Spain is 26 years old with 27 starts over the last two seasons.

Iupati and Mewhort could be higher on the list if not for their injury histories.

Center

1. Matt Paradis, Denver Broncos
2. Mitch Morse, Kansas City Chiefs
3. Brett Jones, New York Giants
4. Travis Swanson, New York Jets
5. Nick Easton, Minnesota Vikings

Center doesn't present the same depth as guard and tackle, but Paradis is an underappreciated and reliable option with 48 starts over the last three seasons

Morse is younger and more physically gifted, yet he dealt with a foot injury in 2017 and needs to return to form.

Jones, Swanson and Easton have all started and have enough flexibility to play guard.

If Mike Lupati reaches FA you have to make a run at him.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

1. Fire Teflon Juan

2. Fire Teflon Juan

3. Start Teller in place of Ducasse (move Ducasse to RG)

4. Hire Juan Castillo - just to fire him immediately again

5.  Work out every RT and OG that is a FA. Sign an improvement to Ducasse and Mills

6. Call Juan Castillo to remind him he is Fired 

7. Bring back Bill Polian.

Teams seldom let solid OL walk these days, so the draft is going to have to be heavy on OL. I think drafting our new starting LT andC at a minimum. WR, CB and any other needs should be addressed as much as possible through FA. As far as the immediate future goes, I can't see any help coming.

7 hours ago, dneveu said:

I sit pat in this draft and in the 1st go BPA.  If we go 1 overall, i think we should go Ed Oliver.  He'll immediately improve our defense, and is a potential all-pro DT.  

After that I would look to improve the oline.  Maybe trade down to accumulate a couple extra shots, and try and come out of the draft with 3 offensive linemen.  

From a free agency perspective - i'd look at pass rushers.  There's a ton coming up, and i don't think they'll all get tagged.  Clowney probably will, but lawrence won't get tagged again.  Fowler will be available and he's probably better than everyone we have but hughes.  

If we have the top pick, I'll be upset if we don't try to trade down. In any case, if they don'r draft the best OT in the draft and a top 3 C, next year will be difficult also.