Godparents

Another Fan

I was listening to a co worker talk today about how her sons godather was at his birthday party this weekend and gave him a gift.  I notice Godparents with some families really play a major role with them.  Showing up to all the parties, giving out money, etc....

My family’s background is mostly Hungarian/Polish.  My Aunt and Uncle were my godparents at baptism.  My aunt died so I never got a chance to know her but my uncle who’s my Godfather had very little influence on me growing up.

How about here, are there godparents in the family that really play a key role in someone’s development?

I’m a Godfather to my friend’s daughter. When they are little,I would always give gifts. Then through the teenage years it kinda wore off.  However,now that she is an adult it’s grown into a pretty cool relationship. I take her and her husband out to dinner when I am down in Pittsburgh from time to time..

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I was listening to a co worker talk today about how her sons godather was at his birthday party this weekend and gave him a gift.  I notice Godparents with some families really play a major role with them.  Showing up to all the parties, giving out money, etc....

My family’s background is mostly Hungarian/Polish.  My Aunt and Uncle were my godparents at baptism.  My aunt died so I never got a chance to know her but my uncle who’s my Godfather had very little influence on me growing up.

How about here, are there godparents in the family that really play a key role in someone’s development?

My godfather was never a part of my life.  Pretty good guy but was fairly old at the time so as I grew up he was fading away.  I know of situations where quite a bond was established.

i'm a godfather to one niece and nephew, and i will always see them a lot, so i will be active in their lives.  i think it's luck of the draw in that regard.  my wife's family, (and i'm sure many others) have it so the god parents are the ones who take the child if something happens to the actual parents.  for our first, i wanted my only sibling, (my brother) to be the godfather.  my wife was bent out of shape because she wanted her sister to be the godmother, and they would be the ones taking the kids.  long story short, my brother was the godfather.

My godfather was my Father’s best friend, and was a Hell’s Angels biker.  He got murdered when I was very young.  I am named after him ?

My godmother is my 2nd cousin (my father’s 1st cousin).  She is just the sweetest, most down-to-earth person I think I have ever met.  She has always been a big part of my life, and now my children love having her in their lives.

Neither of my children were baptized, so no godparents for them.

I have no idea who my godparents are/were.

My son's godparents are my Aunt/Uncle.  I was very close to them around the time my son was born.  They've since moved (a lot) and I never talk to them anymore.

But my son is agnostic, so he's cool with it.

My God parents were my grandfathers' cousin's son and his wife. I think they were like third cousins to me. The families were a bit closer than that sounds as my grandfather lived with that cousin for a few years until he turned 18 when he moved here from Italy in like 1920 or so. My Godfather died when I was so young I don't remember him. The relationship with my Godmother and her two kids was mostly birthday cards and see them once around the holidays. I do remember being about five years old and my mother took me to see my Godmother one afternoon. My Godmother was baking for Christmas and had just finished a batch of rum balls. I didn't know what they were and thought they must be like gumballs, so I started eating a whole bunch. I still remember how strong the rum flavor was. I took a little nap right after that.

• Like (+1) 1

Never really gave this much thought...my Godfather committed suicide when I was younger. We lived across the country from each other, after we moved from Buffalo, so there probably wasn't going to be a big influence from him anyway. I have no idea who my Godmother is. I may have to ask, if my parents still remember. 

I am the Godfather of maybe two of my nieces from my brother. He went off the deep end, became a born again "christian" and pushed all of the family aside. So I guess I'm off the hook there. Not out of the Uncle part though...but since he won't allow the girls to see us, I guess the point is moot. 

I'm the godfather to a couple different friends' children. I'm on all of the school emergency contact and pickup lists, I'm going to be the one attending scout campouts with them, I help with the parties and stuff, I babysit. It's a good setup because it keeps my parents off my back about having my own kids.

My aunt and uncle were my godparents and were influential when I was growing up but some of my brothers and sisters were not so lucky with godparents who were hardly involved.  I am godfather to my niece and I think I was a good influence on here even though I live outside the area.  She and her family came down to visit me to view cherry blossoms this spring.