Make run at Matt Moore or Landry Jones?

BrycePaup4ever

10 hours ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

Both would be affordable. 

I thought that it would make a lot of sense to bring in Matt Moore when we drafted Allen with AJ McCarron as the most experienced QB on the roster, and since he had his best career year under Daboll in Miami.

Moore has lived in Miami for 9 years.  His 3 kids are in school there.  He has roots.  He's earned something like $20M from the Dolphins for the last 7 years, mostly for watching film and holding a clipboard.  Obviously the Dolphins were concerned enough about his ability to play at this point that Cutler looked like a better option to them.

Derek Anderson would be another example - a vet who must be familiar to Beane if not Daboll, who has experience working with a young talented strong-armed QB and helping him prepare - and who has lived in Carolina for 7 years, has a kid approaching school age, and has earned ~$24M over his NFL career, again mostly for watching film and holding a clipboard.

At a guess, there's a price that would persuade either of them to move to B'lo, get an apartment for the next 4-5 months, and take the backup role on the Bills, but it's just higher than Beane is willing to pay.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Isn't Paxton Lynch still available, can't believe we haven't made a mad dash towards him?

We had him in for a workout, reportedly.  Left unsigned.  This was before the opener

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

He needs a mentor.  Moore seems like a bright dude.  I'd say him.  

Peterman shouldn't mentor anyone. 

Do you really want Allen being taught but nate?

Allen is being taught by Culley and Dabol

and that isnt going to change by hiring someone to suck a paycheck and hold the Microsoft Surface. 

You guys dont get it, having a veteran as a backup only runs the chances of getting the #1 overall pick next year, who cares what it might do to the development of the franchise QB who after 1 start has already passed the veteran QB on the roster for complete games played, and after week 4 could surpass him in games started.....

I'm sure Mahommes will tell everyone being able to talk to Smith never helped his career, and Darnold would probably tell you that he has never had a conversation with McCown. 

And I'm sure the rest of the team wouldn't want to have someone with experience on  the roster to help out if Josh went down. That's not going to help with the 'Culture' in the lockerroom. Better to have the Browns approach and breed a culture of losing until you accumulate enough good early first rounders that stick to your roster

17 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How about some quality OL or starting caliber WRs before we start worrying about spending limited cap space on a Paycheck Collector. So either put this team in the playoffs?

if not than Sit on your cap space and roll it over 

I doubt Lynch or Moore will cost much. Just get Peter out of here.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

we have a QB coach, and how do we know those guys are good teachers?

Ya.  Super QB coach.   This is his first career stint as one.  

So we have Nate peterman and a wr coach playing a qb coach to help our franchise qb along.  Super. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:37 AM, MAJBobby said:

Allen is being taught by Culley and Dabol

and that isnt going to change by hiring someone to suck a paycheck and hold the Microsoft Surface. 

What's their resume as a qb coach?  Who have they developed?  Pretty sure brady was well on his way before daboll ans cully is a WR coach. 

Neither one excites me too much, I actually wouldn't mind signing Kapernick but the process probably wouldn't want all the controversy and distraction that would come with it. I don't know what even decent veteran backup QB is out there. I wouldn't mind trading a 6th in 2019 for a halfway decent veteran QB just as a backup to Allen. But I am not sure what team has a spare vet QB.

44 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Ya.  Super QB coach.   This is his first career stint as one.  

So we have Nate peterman and a wr coach playing a qb coach to help our franchise qb along.  Super. 

What's their resume as a qb coach?  Who have they developed?  Pretty sure brady was well on his way before daboll ans cully is a WR coach. 

Who have matt moore and/or landry jones developed?

Landry was just cut by pittsburgh in favor of mason rudolph, a guy whom we drafted allen way before...

Moore is hot garbage.