THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Limited Excitement

Shaw66

“Limited Excitement”

The Bills stumbled to another loss in the first home game of their 2018 campaign.  It wasn’t as ugly as the loss to the Ravens a week ago, but it wasn’t a lot better, either.  The game wasn’t as close as the 31-20 score might suggest.

It was an odd day at New Era Field, not the usual home opener.  The excitement of the draft had ebbed by the start of training camp, and preseason games had left the fans scratching their heads.  The blow out loss at Baltimore crushed their spirit.  Sunday at New Era, there was very little of the typical opening day excitement.  There was hope – there’s always hope – but no excitement.  And it was hot, so the fans had wilted before the game began.

Still, the fans made noise, in the beginning.  The defense responded with a three and out on the Chargers’ opening drive, but after the Bills’ offense went three and out themselves, it began to look like Baltimore all over again.  Rivers was All-World, and it looked like the Bills defense was an open book to him.  He had no pressure, no trouble finding open receivers, and no trouble hitting them.  It wasn’t long before the fans got quiet.

It was somber where I sit.  For the past six years, I’ve sat behind a family with four tickets.  Opening day always was the father and his three fifty-something sons.  Dad went to his first Bills game in 1960 and bought these season tickets in 1985.  Families like those can be found all over the stadium.  Sunday, only one of the sons and his son were there; Dad had died in June, 82 years old and 58 years a Bills fan.  It was a sad day in our section, and the Bills did little to change the mood. 

The Bills woke up a bit in the second quarter, but their general futility and the heat drove many fans out of the stadium at half-time.  The Bills actually looked competitive in the third quarter.  They had some success on offense and, mercifully, on defense.  The score, if not the game, approached respectability, but fans continued to leave.  A skeleton crew was left to make noise in the fourth quarter as the Bills mustered a last-ditch effort to get back into the game. 

The fans wore the usual collection of vintage jerseys – Kelly, Smith, Reed, Fitzpatrick – with several 13s on display to honor Stevie’s return to New Era to wave the flag as the Bills took the field.  A few Edmunds 49 jerseys, and more than a few Josh Allen 17s. 

The rookies didn’t disappoint – they looked like rookies. 

Allen is, without question, the best QB the Bills have.   He showed that.  His throws are things of beauty – powerful sometimes, nice touch on swing passes, accurate throws off balance or on the run.  The guy is a great, great thrower. 

Turns out he’s also an excellent runner, and the Bills decided to put the League on notice.  The Bills ran the read option several times, and Allen wasn’t afraid to keep it.  He’s not going to earn a living toting the pigskin, but he’s going to keep defenses honest.

And he can scramble.   He can break tackles in the backfield, he can move around.  He can stay upright with a tackler on him. 

And still, Allen plays like a rookie.  He holds the ball too long.  He seems to lose concentration on some of his passes.  He throws an occasional fast ball when a little more air would help.

Oddly, I think his two interceptions were positive plays.  The first was a remarkable effort on Allen’s part to stay upright, looking downfield with a tackler hanging on him.  He waited, waited and finally saw the window he thought he could hit.  Turns out he couldn’t, but he’ll learn.  Great play.  The comparisons to Roethlisberger are easy to see.

The second INT happened in that part of the game where the QB needs to take chances to get his team back in it.  Allen saw the opportunity and took the chance.  He will learn from that throw, too.  He needs to take those chances to learn how to execute under game pressure.

18 for 33 and 245 yards with a TD and two okay INTs was a good outing for a rookie’s first start in the NFL.  Five sacks is not good.   A few sacks weren’t on him, but a couple should have been avoided.  One was the corner blitz that he should have seen and didn’t. 

The offensive line, of course, did Allen few favors.  And Daboll’s passing schemes are creating few open targets for Allen.

Edmunds continued to mix solid plays with late reads and misreads, getting caught in the wash on some running plays, being left flat-footed on many passing plays.  He’s on the field for virtually every play, and he should be learning, play after play.  In the meantime, QBs like Rivers will pick on him regularly. 

Most troubling about the Bills is their general disarray.  Marcus Murphy made key mistakes in the punting game, refusing to fair catch one ball, and lining up what looked like 60 yards from the line of scrimmage on another.  He ran up 15 yards and still only could short-hop the catch.  

Critical penalties, again. 

McDermott taking over defensive play calling.  That shouldn’t be necessary; he and Frazier should be on the same page by now.

Vontae Davis?  His disappearing act begs the question:  Do Beane and McDermott actually know what they’re doing?  They preach character and they couldn’t figure out Davis had nothing left in the tank?

Most courageous play of the game?  Taiwan Jones, hands down.  His recovery of Murphy’s fumble or muff or whatever that was, and his absolute refusal to go down as he tried to get the ball out of the end zone was awesome.  However, maybe I don’t know the rules, and maybe Jones didn’t either, because apparently there was no need to run the ball out, as the officials ruled that the play was a touchback. 

Runner up?  McCoy getting back on the field to see if he could go.  Bills desperately need McCoy on the field.  The guy is special, and a gamer, and Allen needs the help. 

If McDermott’s the coach his clippings say he is, this team will continue to improve and begin winning some games.  He has the quarterback to do it, but a lot of questions remain.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Allen was respectable, and despite all the sacks, the line did a better job than I expected. Hopefully Josh can continue to grow each game. I love that he took chances when we were down big and got us back “in” the game by doing so. Tyrod was often helpless in those situations.

• Like (+1) 1

Perfect assessment Shaw. The 2 picks didn't bother me at all. One was basically a 50/50 ball that TT never bothered with. The failed punt inside the 5 as guys are standing around was disturbing (Crossman).

Obviously our OL and WR's need to step things up. Miller & Mills looked embarrassing. I don't expect Shady to do much this year as I feel RB's in the new NFL just aren't as important anymore. You need a dynamic offense led by passing. I'm encouraged by Josh but he'll need more help and growth.

Excellent review, very professionally written (a lost art these days...).

I couldn't agree more with Zo (I like the LORAX name better!) on the DLine. He is best chasing QBs hard! He and Jerry Hughes had Rivers scrambling. That's the first time in a long time I've seen an effective pass-rush. Let's keep that going! 

• Like (+1) 1

I was thinking the same thing about both of Allen's interceptions.

I was actually just so friggin impressed he was even able to stay upright and get the ball out on the 1st interception that I didn't care he threw it to the other team.  He'll learn to throw those away.  Or in some cases he'll actually shrug off the defender and make those plays positive plays, instead.

Same thoughts for the 2nd Interception.  I'm glad Dabol dialed up a throw like that from the end zone. 

I really didn't like Dabol's playcalling as the game began.  It was obvious he was trying to protect Allen.  Only as the game got out of hand did Allen get to really throw it around and did the offense move.  Why does that always seem to happen? 

I hope Dabol and Allen are in each other's ears all week and they're figuring out how to incorporate more RPOs or something to make the offense more explosive from the beginning of the game rather than waiting until we're down by multiple TDs before opening up.

I'm still pretty excited about the rest of the season, actually.  Now that Allen is starting and hopefully McDermott retains defensive playcalling duties, I still think we can make some serious noise.

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I was thinking the same thing about both of Allen's interceptions.

I was actually just so friggin impressed he was even able to stay upright and get the ball out on the 1st interception that I didn't care he threw it to the other team.  He'll learn to throw those away.  Or in some cases he'll actually shrug off the defender and make those plays positive plays, instead.

Same thoughts for the 2nd Interception.  I'm glad Dabol dialed up a throw like that from the end zone. 

I really didn't like Dabol's playcalling as the game began.  It was obvious he was trying to protect Allen.  Only as the game got out of hand did Allen get to really throw it around and did the offense move.  Why does that always seem to happen? 

I hope Dabol and Allen are in each other's ears all week and they're figuring out how to incorporate more RPOs or something to make the offense more explosive from the beginning of the game rather than waiting until we're down by multiple TDs before opening up.

I'm still pretty excited about the rest of the season, actually.  Now that Allen is starting and hopefully McDermott retains defensive playcalling duties, I still think we can make some serious noise.

I'm excited too.  And I agree about Daboll. The play calling WAS  conservative.  And I think the pass patterns are unimaginative.  No one seems to get open quickly, and it's those quick passes that makes life easier for the qb.  

They had some fight to them after things got out of hand early, but they are very mistake prone and have penalties that are just crushing blows on the few good offensive plays they put together. 

Speaking of the refs... Officiating left something to be desired IMO. They should’ve blown the whistle immediately with Jones losing his helmet. that was just a nasty, nasty hit even with a helmet on.  They gave the Bills a first down on a personal foul that gave them a new set of downs down in Chargers territory , but didn’t move the ball.  I don’t know how it was missed, but I think the Bills were just thankful to have the drive extended.  Maybe I am missing something, but that was my recollection, and I could be wrong. The personal foul on Hughes was garbage too.  Not as bad as the Clay Matthews roughing the passer call yesterday, but in the same ball park. Is it just a matter of time before you can’t touch the QB in the throwing motion, like a punter?

One has to wonder if the McDermott play calling and V. Davis retirement are related incidents - you could definitely see something where the coach lays into the team and says were making a couple of changes to who is play calling and starting. Whether Beane and McDermott know what they’re sowing is a different question that has been discussed at length on this board since the offseason?  I’m skeptical, because I see obvious things that they did to themselves personnel and coaching wise that doesn’t give the two young guys they went with at QB the support that would help them succeed.  Ultimately you want to see how well they perform where they can succeed not where only very few could?  And you want to see it ASAP so that you can assess it and not be left with questions down the road because of negative factors.  

The INTs bothered me a little, because one just wasn’t a very good pass, the other was understandable with a guy trying to bring him down.  But those are expected from a guy trying to make something happen.  He had some really open guys that were completions but didn’t exactly throw accurate balls that could have been much bigger plays.   But again he made the right throw and not even the great ones through dimes on every completion. The biggest concern to me is him holding the ball - that’s a trait that is hard to break unless it is a product of no one being open or not being comfortable with the first read throw.  Still promising,  and you can see the areas he needs to improve on...making those steps and improving with consistency will be the key.  No guarantees with him, but you see the talent that made him a first rounder.  I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I am remaining optimistic because his development may be the definition of success or failure for this year and this regime.

Edited by Ayjent
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm excited too.  And I agree about Daboll. The play calling WAS  conservative.  And I think the pass patterns are unimaginative.  No one seems to get open quickly, and it's those quick passes that makes life easier for the qb.  

Allen really needs a couple of extra ticks of the clock.  It takes time for 30 yard routes to open.  Allen will be able to make defenses defend more of the field than anyone else in the game.  It will be criminal if we don't get a genius at OC to maximize this weapon.  Daboli isn't the guy. Allen behind a very good oline will be a force to be reckoned with. 

I was at yesterday's game. The Chargers moved the ball at will. It could have been a bloodbath like the Ravens game. Their TDs were embarrassingly easy and uncontested. I thought Allen looked like where he should be at this stage of his development. Our defense had no passion until the third quarter as Shaw mentioned.

It was embarrassing to see our run blocking collapse behind the LOS more than once. Our dollar store OL is not NFL calibre. 

At this point it looks like a throwaway season. It's going to be hard to create a winning environment for Josh Allen like this. A QB's confidence is a fragile thing. We need to become the kind of organization he will want to stay with at the end of his rookie contract. 

I really feel bad for Shady spending his swan song years on a scrap heap offense. 

The calendar says regular season but the product on the field says preseason. We don't look ready. 

the bizarro events of McDermott taking away playcalling from Frazier and Davis' retirement do not project the image of a cohesive organization.

Are we really in such salary cap hell that a tank is necessary? Will this actually make us a better team down the road?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I was at yesterday's game. The Chargers moved the ball at will. It could have been a bloodbath like the Ravens game. Their TDs were embarrassingly easy and uncontested. I thought Allen looked like where he should be at this stage of his development. Our defense had no passion until the third quarter as Shaw mentioned.

It was embarrassing to see our run blocking collapse behind the LOS more than once. Our dollar store OL is not NFL calibre. 

At this point it looks like a throwaway season. It's going to be hard to create a winning environment for Josh Allen like this. A QB's confidence is a fragile thing. We need to become the kind of organization he will want to stay with at the end of his rookie contract. 

I really feel bad for Shady spending his swan song years on a scrap heap offense. 

The calendar says regular season but the product on the field says preseason. We don't look ready. 

the bizarro events of McDermott taking away playcalling from Frazier and Davis' retirement do not project the image of a cohesive organization.

Are we really in such salary cap hell that a tank is necessary? Will this actually make us a better team down the road?

I all good points, stu. I got no answers.

23 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I don't think Allen is like that at all. Hes already been through the ringer at Wyoming. Some people are mentally fragile but not all, it's probably a genetic thing. You don't shrug off sacks from Terrell Suggs and Melvin Ingram without some kind of mental toughness. I don't know why I just have a hunch Allen will improve with each mistake. He just has the right make up.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with this.  Just about the entire team is a mess, but I think Allen will just keep getting better.  

I'm watching Trubisky.  He has a full season on Allen, and he doesn't have Allen's poise.  

I don't know if McBeane are the guys to build a winner, but the Bills have their qb. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Most courageous play of the game?  Taiwan Jones, hands down.  His recovery of Murphy’s fumble or muff or whatever that was, and his absolute refusal to go down as he tried to get the ball out of the end zone was awesome.  However, maybe I don’t know the rules, and maybe Jones didn’t either, because apparently there was no need to run the ball out, as the officials ruled that the play was a touchback. 

Runner up?  McCoy getting back on the field to see if he could go.  Bills desperately need McCoy on the field.  The guy is special, and a gamer, and Allen needs the help. 

Thanks as always, Shaw.  I appreciated both these guys efforts, also. 

Taiwan's play was very gutsy.  He was trying to do anything to get it out of the end zone (I also didn't know the rules, because I assumed that was a safety).  It reminds me of his big first down in the Bucs game last year; where he subbed in late in the game, got the first down, and helped run out the clock for the win.  He probably will never be an all-star, but he certainly seems to give his all, and that is appreciated.  Teams need both all-stars and  Special Team grinders.

For some reason, I expect Shady on the field either this week or next.  And I'm guessing he will be gutting it out just trying to help the team.   He's a competitor, which is something I've really grown to appreciate about him the last 3+ years.

I think three of the five sacks rest squarely on Allen as well as some of the other QB pressures. He just doesn't understand what's happening pre-snap, and so he doesn't know which adjustments to make with the protections. 

100% agree on the mental toughness though. I've been pretty vocal about what a disservice McD is doing throwing him to the wolves before he's ready. Two plays stood out though: the long pass to Clay on the first half FG drive after those two ugly missed throws and dropped INT, and the garbage time drive after that second INT.

Peterman's biggest issue is that he let things snowball. Allen messes up but then he bounces back. That takes mental toughness.    

Edited by VW82

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I think three of the five sacks rest squarely on Allen as well as some of the other QB pressures. He just doesn't understand what's happening pre-snap, and so he doesn't know which adjustments to make with the protections. 

100% agree on the mental toughness though. I've been pretty vocal about what a disservice McD is doing throwing him to the wolves before he's ready. Two plays stood out though: the long pass to Clay on the first half FG drive after those two ugly missed throws and dropped INT, and the garbage time drive after that second INT.

Peterman's biggest issue is that he let things snowball. Allen messes up but then he bounces back. That takes mental toughness.    

You may be right about understanding presnap.  That's one of the things rookies don't get.  That's why I said last week the Bills would go no hiddle, so Daboll could talk to him presnap and tell him what he is looking at.  

But he can throw, he can run, he has guts and seems to be learning.  

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if McBeane are the guys to build a winner, but the Bills have their qb. 

Unfortunately we won't really know until next season. I do think McDermott is a good coach in the sense that he makes good halftime adjustments. You saw that more than a few times last year and again this past Sunday. I am not sold on his game planning in general just yet. But this season we have over $50 million in dead cap so it's just hard to say. They've set themselves up beautifully for next year with $80 million in cap space and 10 draft picks, 3 of which should be quite high. They have to deliver though.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You may be right about understanding presnap.  That's one of the things rookies don't get.  That's why I said last week the Bills would go no hiddle, so Daboll could talk to him presnap and tell him what he is looking at.  

But he can throw, he can run, he has guts and seems to be learning.  

Yeah I think he's particularly raw with the pre-snap stuff, even for a rookie. Having Daboll in his ear to diagnose LOS might help short-term but Allen probably needs to learn by doing and making mistakes. It's a tough line to walk but he'll get better. 

Other than that, he just needs to work on his accuracy and consistency. Some of those throws were tough.