Mcdermott's adjustments...

Hebert19

So I think we give good old McDermott a lot of grief around his ability to adjust...and granted his in game adjustments havent been great in his buffalo tenure.   However taking over the playcalling and the Defense rising to it shows hes evolving.  

On the other hand...I think his ability to adjust from game to game is something that goes unnoticed. 

Last year we had a stretch of historically bad games with the jets chargers and saints.  We then went on to allow 16 or fewer points in 4 of the last 6 games.  The other 2 games being against the Pat's.  

This year we were getting torched on the ground in the preseason.  He adjusted things and since the browns game we have been much better and more disciplined against the run.  However that could be because its soooo damn easy to pass on us that there is no point rushing.  Ha. 

My guess is that we dial up a ton of pressure next week and cousins coughs it up a few times.  

Peace. 

27 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

My guess is that we dial up a ton of pressure next week and cousins coughs it up a few times.  

This would be smart.  When Cousins was with Washington, he was susceptible to throwing picks when the pressure came. 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Was McDermott's play calling really that much better than Frazier, or did SD get complacent on offense in the 2nd half with a 22 point lead?

No we completely shut them down in the second half, it had nothing to do with them getting complacent. We actually had multiple opportunities to make it a one score game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billspro said:

No we completely shut them down in the second half, it had nothing to do with them getting complacent. We actually had multiple opportunities to make it a one score game.

We'll see the next two weeks against two high powered offenses...both on the road.

Edited by LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

We'll see the next two weeks against two high powered offenses...both on the road.

We just went against a high powered offense......

Im thinking McD made some slight adjustments and sent more pressure then Frasier

We need to continue to work on our pass rush in the draft/free agency this next year....this offense requires pressure from down linemen

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

As long as we keep Zo on the Dline I think we can keep them in the 24-27 range. It’s going to be tough on them with a rookie QB going on the road.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

So I think we give good old McDermott a lot of grief around his ability to adjust...and granted his in game adjustments havent been great in his buffalo tenure.   However taking over the playcalling and the Defense rising to it shows hes evolving.  

On the other hand...I think his ability to adjust from game to game is something that goes unnoticed. 

Last year we had a stretch of historically bad games with the jets chargers and saints.  We then went on to allow 16 or fewer points in 4 of the last 6 games.  The other 2 games being against the Pat's.  

This year we were getting torched on the ground in the preseason.  He adjusted things and since the browns game we have been much better and more disciplined against the run.  However that could be because its soooo damn easy to pass on us that there is no point rushing.  Ha. 

Peace. 

In the playoff game last year, we “sold out” the pass to stop Fournette.  It worked, because under the conditions on that field that day neither QB could pass worth a darn.

What I think happened with McDermott’s adjustments is that he made adjustments allowing the LB to play up and attack the run - but it leaves a big “soft spot” behind the LOS and in front of the DB which a good QB can exploit, especially absent pressure.

That’s where Flacco carved us up.

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was McDermott's play calling really that much better than Frazier, or did SD get complacent on offense in the 2nd half with a 22 point lead?

Not complacent, it was garbagetime

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

Garbagetime started on the 3rd Chargers TD

They cakewalked to a cinchy road win

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We just went against a high powered offense......

Im thinking McD made some slight adjustments and sent more pressure then Frasier

We need to continue to work on our pass rush in the draft/free agency this next year....this offense requires pressure from down linemen

our Offense gets plenty of pressure from down lineman lol.

From what I saw last week, Alexander needs to play DE permanently!!! It’s where he excels. Do it Coach!!

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the playoff game last year, we “sold out” the pass to stop Fournette.  It worked, because under the conditions on that field that day neither QB could pass worth a darn.

What I think happened with McDermott’s adjustments is that he made adjustments allowing the LB to play up and attack the run - but it leaves a big “soft spot” behind the LOS and in front of the DB which a good QB can exploit, especially absent pressure.

That’s where Flacco carved us up.

Tyrod can’t pass worth a darn anyway! But, yeah we sold out to stop Fournette for sure and it almost worked. 

Our defense isn’t that much different than last year. Still feel that much better football is ahead for this team! We need another CB!