The cap situation McBeane inhereted

Batman1876

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Attaboy. Keep striving for consistent mediocrity!

I really think that is the whole point

Yes.....we could have not did a rebiiuld.....and we would have the same frustrated fan base going 8-8 or 7-9 every season....just enough to crush our hopes and just good enough to keep us out of the blue chip rounds players in the draft

That did NOT work...it did not work for 15 plus years

The bills are now doing it differently....doing the same thing over and over again is just a recepi for failure to do the same thing over and over when it isnt working.......Beane is really unpopular right now but two things

Pegula HAS shown that he is willing to spend money.....he is by no means a tightwad owner

PPle can complain how we got there...but the fact of the matter is this team is set up to really improve itself after this year...there is no question about it.....there is not talk of "well x and x player's contracts are gonna make it hard to afford free agents.....the team is up against the cap so we will have to see what the 2nd day of free agency shakes out...etc etc

Its a new plan....the old one was not working.......lets do it

Just now, joesixpack said:

Interesting you choose two teams who got LUCKY. The Bills tried that method for what, 20 years straight and failed?

How is signing Drew Brees lucky?  I'd call that smart.  Drafting Russell Wilson is lucky?  Bills could have taken him.  I saw an interview with Russell where he said the Bills were really interested in him.  He visited more than once.  He thought we were going to take him.  When our pick came up he was ready, except we traded up for TJ Graham instead!. so it's not that we aren't lucky, it's that we've made a lot of bad decisions over the years. We also passed on Mahomes AND Watson LAST YEAR. We need to be smarter.  Not convinced that we are being smarter this time.

We've tried the tank thing a few times too. We had the 3rd pick 2011 I think it was. We've also had top 10 picks most years.

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Not convinced that we are being smarter this time.

Whether or not you're convinced, the plan is what it is. You can choose to be on board or to complain about it for the next few years.

That's really the bottom line.

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Whether or not you're convinced, the plan is what it is. You can choose to be on board or to complain about it for the next few years.

That's really the bottom line.

True. True.

good thing we have TBD! 

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really think that is the whole point

Yes.....we could have not did a rebiiuld.....and we would have the same frustrated fan base going 8-8 or 7-9 every season....just enough to crush our hopes and just good enough to keep us out of the blue chip rounds players in the draft

That did NOT work...it did not work for 15 plus years

The bills are now doing it differently....doing the same thing over and over again is just a recepi for failure to do the same thing over and over when it isnt working.......Beane is really unpopular right now but two things

Pegula HAS shown that he is willing to spend money.....he is by no means a tightwad owner

PPle can complain how we got there...but the fact of the matter is this team is set up to really improve itself after this year...there is no question about it.....there is not talk of "well x and x player's contracts are gonna make it hard to afford free agents.....the team is up against the cap so we will have to see what the 2nd day of free agency shakes out...etc etc

Its a new plan....the old one was not working.......lets do it

Yes and No.  first of all we have no idea what would happen if we didn't tank, because we did.  We also have no idea if this is gonna work.  We can only hope.

As far as the bolded that may be true next year.  but that's it.  And, we don't have an unlimited amount of money and we have to convince (over pay) players to come to one of the worst teams in the league.  Then the following year, we're right back to it because we have big contracts we're stuck to for the guys we signed this year.

I thought making the playoffs was different.

Looks to me like we're following the exact same plan to the letter in developing Josh as we did EJ.  That plan didn't work, why are we repeating it?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

EJ manual and Josh Allen are two completely different players it’s easy to see

Yeah, I can't believe that anyone can equate the two QB's. Josh is a much better prospect than EJ ever was. And per OTC the Bills are already at 92 Million in projected cap space for 2019. That's not factoring in that the NFL cap has been increasing by 10 million per year and will most likely happen again in 2019. Expect alot of changes this offseason. That will be the team to judge this front office by. And if the Bills finish poorly this season and get a top 5 pick so much the better.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Edited by DefenseWins

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

EJ manual and Josh Allen are two completely different players it’s easy to see

They're clearly different players, but JA isn't clearly better

He's got a better toolkit for sure but Manuel looked genuinely solid early on before defenses started seriously attacking his exploitable tendencies

There is zero evidence so far that Allen will work out.  Lots of evidence that he could be very good, but he's got a ton to work on first.

• Like (+1) 1