The cap situation McBeane inhereted

Batman1876

11 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Well said. The only thing you've missed about the uneducated fans are the constant calls for firing people.

They are doing the right thing and sucking it up and fixing things cap wise this year. It's going to be a long year especially with all the uneducated posters and threads about firing everyone.

They created this Cap Mess, just an FYI.

The restructured Taylors contract. Then traded Him.

They needed o-line and traded away Glenn

Dareus is the Center of the best defense in football, that just beat the Pats.

They traded for Coelman, and then cut him.

They renegotiated Incognitos contract which caused that spiral.

Just because I disagree with you now means I am uneducated. I wonder what insult you will throw at me / the uneducated next.

I think you should just skip to "Go become a Pats fan" That's my favorite. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

There are educated fans and uneducated fans.

The educated fans understand the financial side of things and the reasonable expectation that you don't build a super bowl winner over night.

The uneducated fans want to GIT ER DONE OBD every single season, which leads to a 7-9 record for two decades.

Thank god this franchise is finally aligned with educated fans. We all knew this season would be bad. It's only surprising to the Git Er Done crew.

I think a lot of fans were on board with the process but have begun to waiver with good reason.   Building a team is an investment.  For every player you bring in via draft, FA, or trade, you want to see a positive return on investment.  The current regimes track record is less than stellar to date.  While I agree that some players could and should develop, the current evaluation of investments does not look so good.  Here's just a sampling:

Negative return on investment:

Star Lotulelei

Trent Murphy

Corey Coleman

Vonte Davis

Kelvin Benjamin

Zay Jones 

Tremaine Edmunds 

others???

Positive Return on Investment:

Jordan Poyer

Steven Hauschka

Micah Hyde

others???

Even Money

Josh Allen

What category would you put the big trades in? 

Tyrod Taylor

Marcel Dareus

Sammy Watkins

Ronald Darby

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Whaley was fine with the cap.  He operated like winning teams do where they play it year by year and restructure when necessary.

Beane created this mess and that's just the facts.

Dareus to Star did not need to happen.  Wood's extension did not need to happen.  Tyrod to McCarron did not need to happen.  Coleman did not need to happen.  Glenn did not need to happen.  Ragland did not need to happen.

Like the Steelers Patriots and Packers?  None of them spend like drunken sailors.

45 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Background- Whaley spent to the cap in the 2013 season, 2014 season, 2015 season and 2016 season.  He never rolled over more than 2 mil in any single year. In order to sustain this spending contracts had to be back loaded and contracts needed to be reworked.  These things are common in teams making a championship push, we never made that push but we did pay for the attempt.

2017- Heading into the off season we had 24 million in cap space. Our major free agents were Woods, Goodwin, Gilmore, Zack Brown and Lorenzo Alexander. In order to have resigned them they would have needed to rely on cheep contracts now that become expensive later, as well as renegotiating other contracts. Looking ahead these choices would eventually lead to not being able to retain talent, just like retaining Woods, Gilmore and Goodwin was going to be tough in 2017. 

Looking ahead to 2018- Talent was going to be lost on the way to 2018, no way around it.  There wouldn't be cap room to replace that talent either meaning the reliance was going to be solely on the draft to fill those gaps. If you look at how our cap would have projected you can see the crunch we were in.  These figures are based on the actual 2018 cap hits of these players or the cost to have kept their contracts in the case of traded players. Some of these players may have had larger cap hits for us as a consequence of squeezing them under our 2017 cap.

The players we did not resign

Gilmore- 12.5

Woods-5.5

Goodwin-6.2

Total 24.2

The players we traded

Watkins- 13.2 (cost of 5th year option)

Darius- 16

Glenn-15

Tyrod-16

Total-60.2

The retirement

Wood- 9

Players we kept

Mccoy-9

Clay-9

Hughes-10.4

K Williams- 5.5

Total 33.9

The total for that core group of players that our 2016 roster was built around would have been 127.3 million in 2018

Leaving 50 Million to sign 2017 rookies, 2018 rookies and fill a total of 41 other roster spots an impossible task.

Excuses are stron with this one 

1 minute ago, Bockeye said:

I think a lot of fans were on board with the process but have begun to waiver with good reason.   Building a team is an investment.  For every player you bring in via draft, FA, or trade, you want to see a positive return on investment.  The current regimes track record is less than stellar to date.  While I agree that some players could and should develop, the current evaluation of investments does not look so good.  Here's just a sampling:

Negative return on investment:

Star Lotulelei

Trent Murphy

Corey Coleman

Vonte Davis

Kelvin Benjamin

Zay Jones 

Tremaine Edmunds 

others???

Positive Return on Investment:

Jordan Poyer

Steven Hauschka

Micah Hyde

others???

Even Money

Josh Allen

What category would you put the big trades in? 

Tyrod Taylor

Marcel Dareus

Sammy Watkins

Ronald Darby

Couple things. I woudln't put Edmunds as a negative. Poyer and Hyde I believe were signed by Whaley. 

I think its valid to look at the people Beane and McDermott have traded and signed and wonder if they understand what it takes to win in this league. 

You're out there trying to compete with Pat Mahomes and Tyreke Hill with Josh Allen and Zay Jones. 

We're out there trying to compete with the Packers, Vikings, Jaguars, Patriots with Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones leading the WR group, with worn out LeSean McCoy and a pop-gun offensive scheme. 

Does McDermott and/or Beane even want talented players? Or do they think they can watch tape more intently than everyone else in the league and work harder than everyone on the field?

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Why do people keep perpetuating this nonsense? Whaley had NO say on signings the moment McDermott walked into the building. He was a lame duck.

Who was the GM?  Whos scouting staff wrote the reports?  I know i know TV scouting 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

shhhhh

That does not fit the narrative of the punch bowl pissers

The Browns also did a regime change without throwing the baby’s out with the bath water. But I know doesnt fit the excuse agenda

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Who was the GM?  Whos scouting staff wrote the reports?  I know i know TV scouting 

The Browns also did a regime change without throwing the baby’s out with the bath water. But I know doesnt fit the excuse agenda

Why should they....they draft in the top 5 every friggen year?  

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Why should they....they draft in the top 5 every friggen year?  

Just saying they did a regime change without a purge. Interesting 

and that is on a 1-31 team. No purge 

Edited by MAJBobby

59 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Background- Whaley spent to the cap in the 2013 season, 2014 season, 2015 season and 2016 season.  He never rolled over more than 2 mil in any single year. In order to sustain this spending contracts had to be back loaded and contracts needed to be reworked.  These things are common in teams making a championship push, we never made that push but we did pay for the attempt.

2017- Heading into the off season we had 24 million in cap space. Our major free agents were Woods, Goodwin, Gilmore, Zack Brown and Lorenzo Alexander. In order to have resigned them they would have needed to rely on cheep contracts now that become expensive later, as well as renegotiating other contracts. Looking ahead these choices would eventually lead to not being able to retain talent, just like retaining Woods, Gilmore and Goodwin was going to be tough in 2017. 

Looking ahead to 2018- Talent was going to be lost on the way to 2018, no way around it.  There wouldn't be cap room to replace that talent either meaning the reliance was going to be solely on the draft to fill those gaps. If you look at how our cap would have projected you can see the crunch we were in.  These figures are based on the actual 2018 cap hits of these players or the cost to have kept their contracts in the case of traded players. Some of these players may have had larger cap hits for us as a consequence of squeezing them under our 2017 cap.

The players we did not resign

Gilmore- 12.5

Woods-5.5

Goodwin-6.2

Total 24.2

The players we traded

Watkins- 13.2 (cost of 5th year option)

Darius- 16

Glenn-15

Tyrod-16

Total-60.2

The retirement

Wood- 9

Players we kept

Mccoy-9

Clay-9

Hughes-10.4

K Williams- 5.5

Total 33.9

The total for that core group of players that our 2016 roster was built around would have been 127.3 million in 2018

Leaving 50 Million to sign 2017 rookies, 2018 rookies and fill a total of 41 other roster spots an impossible task.

Awesome post.  Thank You.  The Bills had a significant salary disaster on their hands.  2018 is the sacrifice, growth and development year.

I'm 60, a huge Bills fan, had season tickets in 1964-1975 until I joined the Navy, now live in San Diego and have since 1982.

So I want the Bills to succeed but fully accept the one step backwards in the hopes of a major spring forward is the Pathway our current management has chosen.

I honestly hope we do end up with the worst record in the league next year and when the NFL Network, ESPN and Fox are in Nashville in April 2019, they will be announcing Nick Bosa with the 1st pick in the draft followed by whatever needs we have with our remaining 9 picks after we use our $91,000,000 worth of cap space wisely.

Step back and spring forward is the approach our other team the Buffalo Sabres have done.  Look at the high end potential of that team with tons of young talent and two potential generational players in Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin and a slew talented kids in the farm system and a ton of future high draft picks.

For those who are old enough, remember how the Bills added top talent in the 1984-1988 drafts, then added key pieces when the USFL folded and became an NFL Power for 10 years.  Let's hope the same thing happens again

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

There are educated fans and uneducated fans.

The educated fans understand the financial side of things and the reasonable expectation that you don't build a super bowl winner over night.

The uneducated fans want to GIT ER DONE OBD every single season, which leads to a 7-9 record for two decades.

Thank god this franchise is finally aligned with educated fans. We all knew this season would be bad. It's only surprising to the Git Er Done crew.

Thank you, great post, you have to realize we are dealing with let's just say a different generation of fans in 2018!