Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

43 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I have a suspicion that a vet QB will be signed soon.

LaCanfora yesterday said they are looking at options.  Given it's LaCanfora it probably means they aren't.  But they should be.  Mybe some guys like Moore just are done and don't want the hassle.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

LaCanfora yesterday said they are looking at options.  Given it's LaCanfora it probably means they aren't.  But they should be.  Mybe some guys like Moore just are done and don't want the hassle.

If they can get someone like Moore or Cutler off the couch that's great. MajBobby made the point who's going to go through that at this point and I'm with him on that I don't really see too many options at this point in the season. However IF they can get a guy I don't see how it could do anything but benefit Allen's development.

1 minute ago, GrizzReaper said:

If they can get someone like Moore or Cutler off the couch that's great. MajBobby made the point who's going to go through that at this point and I'm with him on that I don't really see too many options at this point in the season. However IF they can get a guy I don't see how it could do anything but benefit Allen's development.

The one I would say would stunt his growth is Cutler.  A young QB does not need that kind of personality around him.  At any rate, Beane and McD are very consistent in their thought process, and very careful what they say in public.  One of the things they say is they are constantly looking for ways to improve the team.  So they churn the roster up, and I for one hope that includes a more veteran backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I think the kids has the potential to be great. I just feel like Beane has put him in a bad situation. Like I said we have to wait and see how it goes BUT if it goes bad then that's squarely on our GM. He set all this up.

He could've secured any number of the FA QBs that we were all on here talking about back in the off season... He settled for AJ McCarron. Then he proceeded to trade McCarron and leave us with Nasty Nate and Allen... I just think it was a string of bad moves at this point. I'm not saying it can't work. However if it doesn't work I'll remember who set it all up.

So 20M for Bradford?

Cousins

Who who are these mythical mentors that were available this offseason 

34 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Who Mentored 

Goff

Wentz

Ryan

Flacco

Wilson

Carr

Luck

Watson

Big Ben

Rivers

All these College QBs that are going to become first round QBs

And those are off the top of my head 

add Kelly

Marino

Elway

Montana

shall i keep going?

Which one of those listed would have had the career that they did with the o-line that Josh Allen has protecting him?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Who Mentored 

Goff

Wentz

Ryan

Flacco

Wilson

Carr

Luck

Watson

Big Ben

Rivers

All these College QBs that are going to become first round QBs

And those are off the top of my head 

add Kelly

Marino

Elway

Montana

shall i keep going?

Kelly had Reich.  Elway had Kubiak.  Both were lower talent but with huge football IQ.  Montana sat behind Steve DeBerg for 2 years.  Marino had the veteran Don Strock on the roster with him.  Rivers sat behind Brees for 2 years.  Big Ben had Tommy Maddox on the roster.  Wentz has Foles.   Favre, Brady, and Rogers all sat on the bench for awhile.   

You just don't get it.    Yes, some rookie QBs can make it and they are not the norm.  Just because a QB starts as a rookie does not mean they don't have another QB on the roster helping them prepare.  That does not mean the backup has to be a star, or a former star,  just someone with some solid NFL knowledge. 

If you think that Josh Allen is being handled properly and that having the wisdom of Nate Peterman on his side is  good enough I disagree.   Most scouts seemed to think that Allen is raw and needs time to learn and time to work on fundamentals.   If you like the plan of bringing in McCarron and cutting him, and then going with Peterman then fine.   I think the plan was flawed.  I would have preferred bringing in a more proven veteran and then letting Allen beat him out for the job.  Winning the job by default because Peterman is incapable is not the best way to go for Allen. 

I just hope he makes it.  Maybe he has a good QB coach? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

NFL players aren't that fond of training their replacements. Ben and Flacco have been publicly antagonistic.  The best example of it is that Farve spent his efforts mocking, insulting, humiliating and actively avoiding helping him. 

They don’t have to train him. They just have to be there so the young player can see how they do things, to see how they diagnose plays in the film room, how they handle the week of preparation for a game. Watching is a great way of learning and can be done without crushing a young players’ confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Kelly had Reich.  Elway had Kubiak.  Both were lower talent but with huge football IQ.  Montana sat behind Steve DeBerg for 2 years.  Marino had the veteran Don Strock on the roster with him.  Rivers sat behind Brees for 2 years.  Big Ben had Tommy Maddox on the roster.  Wentz has Foles.   Favre, Brady, and Rogers all sat on the bench for awhile.   

You just don't get it.    Yes, some rookie QBs can make it and they are not the norm.  Just because a QB starts as a rookie does not mean they don't have another QB on the roster helping them prepare.  That does not mean the backup has to be a star, or a former star,  just someone with some solid NFL knowledge. 

If you think that Josh Allen is being handled properly and that having the wisdom of Nate Peterman on his side is  good enough I disagree.   Most scouts seemed to think that Allen is raw and needs time to learn and time to work on fundamentals.   If you like the plan of bringing in McCarron and cutting him, and then going with Peterman then fine.   I think the plan was flawed.  I would have preferred bringing in a more proven veteran and then letting Allen beat him out for the job.  Winning the job by default because Peterman is incapable is not the best way to go for Allen. 

I just hope he makes it.  Maybe he has a good QB coach? 

peterman lesser talent good in film room high football IQ. I notice you ignored about 80% of that list. 

Who is the First Person Allen goes to when he comes to the sideline say it Firzpatrick (would never have signed here) but was available in offseason, was on the Roster 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And How does any of that matter in the Vet QB mentor debate

It matters because the lack of a veteran mentor is not the only thing that McBeane have failed to address. The  entire "process" is clearly under serious question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JTown said:

It matters because the lack of a veteran mentor is not the only thing that McBeane have failed to address. The  entire "process" is clearly under serious question.

Yep and I have said that. OL and WR fail Allen more than some unicorn old school thought of a Vet QB mentor stuff 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

peterman lesser talent good in film room high football IQ. I notice you ignored about 80% of that list. 

Your math is about as good as your football knowledge.  I addressed 50% of the list and added 3 more HoF QB who did not start as rookies. 

Do your research instead of throwing out partial truths and misleading information.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So Romo would have left a cushy broadcasting gig for the grind of being a coach?  How come I never read that anywhere?

Not what I suggested at all, !@#$.  

The Cliff's notes version for the slow kids in class, and users named MAJBobby: 

Someone like Romo around Allen all the time would be a benefit.  There is no one like that around Allen right now.

We should get someone like that.  

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Your math is about is good as your football knowledge.  I addressed 50% of the list and added 3 more HoF QB who did not start as rookies. 

Do your research instead of throwing out partial truths and misleading information.  

Got it. There is one way to develop rookie. Shall I also list the Busts like Winston, Tannenhil etc that failed with their Vet Mentor QB?  Or no. 

So yea lets go sign Moore that helps more than WRs and OL 

your set in your legacy thinking and are not going to change because your football knowledge likely comes from legacy thinkers teaching so enjoy

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't remember the exact words but during the broadcast Steve Beurelein said something like, "Beane told me that AJ McCarron wasn't who they thought he was."

So I wonder if Beane planned for AJ to both start for a while and mentor Josh - and it didn't work out?  

Denny Green agrees.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

He did. With this OL, And weapons. 

Not because there is no Vet QB sucking a paycheck 

Nobody is saying thats the only thing to handicap him, but if you deny a veteran presence wouldnt be beneficial you're blind and stubborn.  Especially for some one as raw as Allen is who probably never had a legit coach/mentor until  now.  Oh wait he still doesnt. And if you think Gentry would be more valuable to Allens development than a knowledgeable  vet you're deluuuuuusional

Edited by BillsMafia13
  • Thank you (+1) 1