Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

4 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I get that say someone like Flacco isn't going to be overjoyed to help coach up a Lamar Jackson... What about a Josh McCown? Some dude who's washed up and knows it but still wants a paycheck. That can sit in there with Allen and help point out stuff in the film that he needs to see and learn. Right now who is doing that for him? Peterman? With his bounty of NFL QB knowledge and habits?

I seriously feel like Bean has left this kid at a disadvantage.

The real disadvantage is deciding Nate Peterman was good enough and that this offensive line was going to be good enough.

It appears, based on his draft and free agency decisions, that Beane places "offensive line" at or near the bottom of his mental paradygm hierarchy of what makes a football team good.    And Allen will suffer more due to that than anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Henne was never a great starter but he had a lot of experience. Reading defenses, blitz pickups, setting the oline etc. Those are all things he did learn a lot from him and alex smith.

Now that being said, not every successful qb had that mentor and that can be a little overrated

The Vet thing goes right in line with the David Carr excuse for starting. Rookie with a bad OL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

I wonder which veteran Jim Kelly had on the roster when we finally got him into a Bill uni.....

Yep....  keep searching for one...

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't remember the exact words but during the broadcast Steve Beurelein said something like, "Beane told me that AJ McCarron wasn't who they thought he was."

So I wonder if Beane planned for AJ to both start for a while and mentor Josh - and it didn't work out?  

That's actually very interesting, but it begs the question exactly who did Beane think AJM was, and why did he think so?

I agree it would have been highly desireable to have someone like a Matt Moore in the QB room (if his heart and head were still into it). 

OTOH, given Josh Allen's background and what he had to overcome to get where he is, I think he's probably the kind of person who finds the mentors he needs wherever.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

The real disadvantage is deciding Nate Peterman was good enough and that this offensive line was going to be good enough.

It appears, based on his draft and free agency decisions, that Beane places "offensive line" at or near the bottom of his mental paradygm hierarchy of what makes a football team good.    And Allen will suffer more due to that than anything else.

Once we lost Wood and Incognito was like... Oh boy. I was honestly hoping they would get a OL high and just let one of those top rated QBs come to them. We seriously need some talent infusion on the line. Right now I'm just hoping that as Allen learns to read defenses and set his protection and the linemen get more games in together that it will improve... That's what I'm hoping for at least. Sometimes hope is the first step on the long road to despair haha

26 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't remember the exact words but during the broadcast Steve Beurelein said something like, "Beane told me that AJ McCarron wasn't who they thought he was."

So I wonder if Beane planned for AJ to both start for a while and mentor Josh - and it didn't work out?  

If Beane thought a low quality journeyman with very limited game experience was going to function as a good mentor, he needs to think again.

The guy who I wish was around practice every day, putting his arm over Josh's shoulder, and teaching him about the game is Tony Romo.  Ironically, Romo will be doing our game on Sunday against the Vikings.

Romo has a lot of experience, was a skilled QB, and most importantly, he has shown that he is a very good communicator who gets it.  He also did not play in the game 30 years ago.  His experience is still very fresh and relevant.

The Bills need a guy like that hanging around Josh all the time.  The lack of that sort of voice in Josh's ear is a clear handicap in my opinion.

There is no one around at the moment who can fill that role, including the QB coach.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor
1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

If Beane thought a low quality journeyman with very limited game experience was going to function as a good mentor, he needs to think again.

The guy who I wish was around practice every day, putting his arm over Josh's shoulder, and teaching him about the game is Tony Romo.  Ironically, Romo will be doing our game on Sunday against the Vikings.

Romo has a lot of experience, was a skilled QB, and most importantly, he has shown that he is a very good communicator who gets it.  He also did not play in the game 30 years ago.  His experience is still very fresh and relevant.

The Bills need a guy like that hanging around Josh all the time.  The lack of that sort of voice in Josh's ear is a clear handicap in my opinion.

There is no one around at the moment who can fill that role, including the QB coach.

So Romo would have left a cushy broadcasting gig for the grind of being a coach?  How come I never read that anywhere?

Uh.. they have this thing called a Quarterbacks Coach.

David Culley

Now in his 25th year as an NFL assistant coach, David Culley joined the Buffalo Bills in 2017 as the team’s quarterbacks coach. Culley has had successful tenures as an assistant with the Steelers (1996-98), Eagles (1999-2012), and Chiefs (2013-16). In fact, his teams have earned playoff berths in 15 of his 24 NFL seasons, including his first year with the Bills in 2017.

A veteran mentor in the "QB room" is fine and dandy, but it's hardly a prerequisite for success.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Right if I'm Bean and I'm making all these moves knowing my intent is to move up and get a rookie QB to hitch my GM rep to... I'm going to move mountains to do anything I can within my power to set that rookie up for success. Idk maybe AJ McCarron was supposed to be that guy... But he's gone now. So if I'm Bean I'm going dumpster diving to find someone who can just mentor this guy in the QB room. I'm not sure who is out there in the FA scrapyard but I'm sure there's someone who could benefit Allen development. 

1 minute ago, boater said:

David Culley

A veteran mentor in the "QB room" is fine and dandy, but it's hardly a prerequisite for success.

And another guy that should be fired. Hardly the best person to put up in defense of no Vet Mentor 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The “Vet QB” over rated legacy thinking. Constantly pushed by lazy thinkers that just recycle old way of doing things and thinking. 

Totally disagree. 

Letting the talented but inexperienced try to succeed on his own at the hardest position to master in the NFL, maybe in all of team sports, is lazy and wishful thinking.  

God forbid that Allen gets hurt and we have to endure any more play from Peterman.  The fact that there is no veteran QB on this team right now is inexcusable.  There isn't even another prospect on the PS.  

If this is the new way you can have it.

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Totally disagree. 

Letting the talented but inexperienced try to succeed on his own at the hardest position to master in the NFL, maybe in all of team sports, is lazy and wishful thinking.  

God forbid that Allen gets hurt and we have to endure any more play from Peterman.  The fact that there is no veteran QB on this team right now is inexcusable.  There isn't even another prospect on the PS.  

If this is the new way you can have it.

Who Mentored 

Goff

Wentz

Ryan

Flacco

Wilson

Carr

Luck

Watson

Big Ben

Rivers

All these College QBs that are going to become first round QBs

And those are off the top of my head 

add Kelly

Marino

Elway

Montana

shall i keep going?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McCarron was never experienced enough to mentor anyone. He was awful and so is PeterPan. Beane should be on the phone immediately looking for a decent vet.  All that AJ money could've gone to Fitz, the perfect mentor backup. These 2 guys have got to be smarter.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Patrick Mahomes really credits guys like Chad Henne for his development so I am not sure what you mean that this is an 'old and recycled' way of thinking

I'm sure Henne does help, but Andy Reid may be the best QB/Offensive coach of our generation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, boater said:

David Culley

C'mon dude the guy has been a Quarterbacks coach once... Back in 1985-1988 for Southwestern Louisiana. Do you honestly believe he has the knowledge and habits required to groom a starting rookie QB in 2018? I don't... I wouldn't count on him. Wide receiver sure not QB. That's not this guy's forte.

Just now, klos63 said:

I'm sure Henne does help, but Andy Reid may be the best QB/Offensive coach of our generation.

Fair point and this also comes back to Chris Carter and his rant about most players being good system players and I agree with him.

The thing that we need to focus on is: Is Josh Allen in the best system and organization for him to succeed? Beane needs to be all in on that way of thinking, much like the Rams are with Goff.

• Like (+1) 1