Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

Mayfield's mentor (Tyrod) went 4/14 for 19 yards last night. We got a third round pick for him.

Darnold's mentor is sitting on the bench while Darnold struggled badly. We got a fifth round pick for a guy that's just as bad.

Future draft picks > garbage "mentor"

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, kota said:

Please most young QB's dont' have a mentor.  Do you really want Brian Hoyer showing Josh how to play?  Give me a break this is so overblown it's dumb.  He doens't get rattled he takes the hits. 

Josh will be fine.  

Hire Peyton Manning to hang for a few weeks.  

Nobody is saying its a necessity, or the rookies have to imitate the vet, why cant people get over that.  But having a veterans knowledge on the sidelines and the film room would be huge.  Anyone who thinks no vet presence is better than none, please let me know

On 9/17/2018 at 11:28 PM, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

Doesn't he have a QB Coach ?

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Doesn't he have a QB Coach ?

Yeah but hes been a WRs coach for most his career. I think his bio on the bills website said he coached QBs from 85-87 at Southwestern Louisiana and that's it as far as that goes...

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Last night’s game proved this is all nonsense. Tyrod didn’t mentor Mayfield! Heck, TT never even talks to anyone on the sideline. What you saw was a kid who’s not afraid to THROW THE BALL at the open receiver. It really isn’t rocket science!

Well it's classic Tyrod right? Dumps and  super safe conservative gnash your teeth and pull your hair out QB play. 

If Allen can learn to get through his progressions faster and set up his protection he's going to be good. I still think having someone more competent than Peterman and whatever that WRs coachs name is watching film with him would help him get there faster... He can still do it on his own no doubt but I still believe someone with better QB eyes would speed up "the process" some...

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Nobody is saying its a necessity, or the rookies have to imitate the vet, why cant people get over that.  But having a veterans knowledge on the sidelines and the film room would be huge.  Anyone who thinks no vet presence is better than none, please let me know

McCown's presence has been so valuable to Darnold that he's regressed in every game. I would trade any backup QB for any pick at all unless I had a team ready to compete for the Super Bowl.

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, HappyDays said:

McCown's presence has been so valuable to Darnold that he's regressed in every game. I would trade any backup QB for any pick at all unless I have a team ready go compete for the Super Bowl.

Does this even make sense with the expectation that a 21 year old rookie QB will have ups and downs early in his career?  Having a veteran mentor on-hand for support during the struggles should only be seen as a benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does this even make sense with the expectation that a 21 year old rookie QB will have ups and downs early in his career?  Having a veteran mentor on-hand for support during the struggles should only be seen as a benefit.

That's what coaches are for. I don't believe any backup QB is more valuable in the QB room than they are in draft picks. Getting a 3rd for Tyrod and a 5th for McCarron was highway robbery.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's what coaches are for. I don't believe any backup QB is more valuable in the QB room than they are in draft picks. Getting a 3rd for Tyrod and a 5th for McCarron was highway robbery.

I would rather have those draft picks any day. If Allen fails, it won’t be because he didn’t have a vet mentor.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Coaches cannot relate in the same way that a veteran player can who has been through the fire earlier in their career.  This doesn't just apply to the QB position. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Coaches cannot relate in the same way that a veteran player can who has been through the fire earlier in their career.  This doesn't just apply to the QB position. 

I would bet serious money that there is zero correlation between a QB's success and who their "veteran mentor" is.

58 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Troy Aikman had no one pitching in front of him in 1989. If the kid is tough he will stick around and weather the adversity and learn. It’s sink or swim for Josh Allen. 

Probably didn't help as he threw 9 TDs, 18 INTs with a completion percentage of 52.9% and went 0-11 in 1989. The team also took Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft who was later traded to NO the next year. Walsh started four games and actually won a game going 1-4. The next season in 1990 the Cowboys did sign a vet QB in Babe Laufenberg. 

On another note, Maroon/Whaley had his first round pick rookie QB EJ Manuel with basically a rookie QB in Thad Lewis and rookie undrafted FA QB Jeff Tuel  all on the roster in 2013 with no veteran QB. No experienced NFL OC and no QB coach at all. How did that work out for them?

Not to mention that year the offensive line was pretty bad in being ranked #22 and this was with Cordy Glenn at LT, Eric Wood at center. Allen wishes he had Wood at center. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Probably why he threw 9 TDs, 18 INTs with a completion percentage of 52.9% and went 0-11 in 1989. The team also took Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft who was later traded to NO the next year. Walsh started four games and actually won a game going 1-4. The next season in 1990 the Cowboys did sign a vet QB in Babe Laufenberg. 

On another note, Marron/Whaley had his first round pick rookie QB EJ Manuel with basically a rookie QB in Thad Lewis and rookie undrafted FA QB Jeff Tuel  all on the roster in 2013 with no veteran QB. No experienced NFL OC and no QB coach at all. How did that work out for them? Not to mention that year the offensive line was pretty bad in being ranked #22 and this was with Cordy Glenn at LT, Eric Wood at center. 

They had Kevin Kolb as the veteran ahead of him until the unfortunate rubber mat and concussion incidents. 

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would bet serious money that there is zero correlation between a QB's success and who their "veteran mentor" is.

So you honestly believe if you were a rookie QB you wouldn't benefit in any positive way by having a guy who has been a rookie, held a clipboard, played a few years as a starting QB, or made a trip to the playoffs?

That's just idk... I know I've been a noobie at things and I had people with experience around me and it was very beneficial to me bettering myself just being able to ask them basic questions about it. When I was a snot nosed recruit in the Army I learned a ton from the senior people. As an air traffic controller I gained a ton of help asking about scenarios and how to handle them from people that had years of experience under their belt and I know for a fact it helped me tremendously just being able to bounce those questions and stuff off them. I could sit around and read the .65 and all the Aviation publications I wanted and it still wasn't equal to what I learned being able to pick the vets brains. That's just me but I think it's still valid in regards to football in a way...

Edited by GrizzReaper
  • Like (+1) 1