Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Was making a post in the Matt Moore thread and realized I havent seen a post on this topic yet.  The most annoying thing about this Bills leadership team (who a support btw) is how poor a job they have done setting up Allen for success.  

1.  Their QB coach is a career WR coach.  

2.  Their backup might be the worst QB to start a game in the history of the NFL.

3.  This WR group may be one of the worst in the league...not this year but in the last 10 years.  No number 1...a number 2 that should be a 3...and then scrubs.  

4.  A terrible oline.

The fact that they aren't trying to improve the situation at all for him is awful.  While I dont believe it's the answer you have guys like Dez and Maclin out there...you cut kerley who has proven to be dependable in this league...and you have done nothing to improve the oline or the backup situation.  Who helps josh with film.  Talks to him on sidelines.  Daboll is in the !@#$ing booth and Nate is clearly terrible.  

This is why this team wont turn around as fast as they should.   The development of their franchise qb will be slowed or stunted by all this ****. 

Not sure why this was merged.  This is more than a mentor.  This is a coach oline ans weapons discussion too.  More than just getting him a mentor.  That's one of several issues. 

1 minute ago, COTC said:

The original plan was to not have Josh play. 

Beane imploded that plan, now he gets baptism by fire. 

Sink or swim. 

Doesnt mean he shouldn't try and make some moves to help.  Hes standing idle. 

7 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

someone else doesn't know what I did or didn't read. Which is entirely my point. 

You couldn't have because the point is a veteran QB as a mentor and teammate to Allen like McCown is to Darnold. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 9/17/2018 at 1:58 PM, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

True.  Just like the Colt's failed to provide Manning a mentor.

On 9/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I've been saying this LONG before the season started, and how it'll be (and was in reality) a huge mistake. People kept trying to dismiss it on these boards saying it wasn't important, or mocked veterans like Josh McCown trying to laugh it off. Meanwhile, all throughout the draft & afterwards in interviews, players & coaches would say the exact opposite.

But what do players and coaches know? The fans on the board clearly think a veteran mentor/leader/guide/person to sit behind while they learn the ropes doesn't matter...just like they made themselves believe that Allen was pro-ready & would excel as a rookie at the NFL level day-1, even though we all knew prior to the draft that Allen was the most raw & risky QB of the "big 4." We knew he was a project, we knew he'd benefit from sitting behind a veteran who could help him get up to speed, we knew his stock was so high based on size & arm strength rather than on-field production, ability to read a defense, or monster stats. Yet because the Bills took him #7 overall, everything we knew to be true got thrown out the window & replaced with excitement & hype, along with the unfair & unrealistic expectations that do Allen a disservice.

Now we're going down an all too familiar route, and we're seeing the same bad management & poor decision cliches beat for beat. Soon, we'll see the outcries for firing the OC, which will set Allen back even further. And if it keeps going this way, expect to see the coach feel extra pressure to save his job due to finishing with such a lousy record, leading to him finding that veteran QB a year too late, and putting him in a "QB competition" withe Allen through training camp. Then we'll have another Kelly Holcomb/JP Losman situation, where you're swapping back & forth between the 2, leading to the loss of confidence the QB & his teammates for him. 

All of this was so easy to avoid, and you could see the issues from miles away. I only hope McBeane recognize they're heading down the wrong path, and to avoid the typical course corrections so many others tried that lead to even more failure.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Please most young QB's dont' have a mentor.  Do you really want Brian Hoyer showing Josh how to play?  Give me a break this is so overblown it's dumb.  He doens't get rattled he takes the hits. 

Josh will be fine.  

Hire Peyton Manning to hang for a few weeks.  

He could probably get Teyrod cheap now....he did a good job mentoring Mayfield ;)

25 minutes ago, kota said:

Please most young QB's dont' have a mentor.  Do you really want Brian Hoyer showing Josh how to play?  Give me a break this is so overblown it's dumb.  He doens't get rattled he takes the hits. 

Josh will be fine.  

Hire Peyton Manning to hang for a few weeks.  

Poor kid would be ready to play on the line in a few weeks....... with all the Chicken Parm and Papa Johns ;)

On 9/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, hondo in seattle said:

and it didn't work out? 

aaaand that's why it's a blunder. Regardless I don't care about Allen having a mentor I care about not having a guy to beat Peterman and avoid any possible Peterman starts. I just want a backup.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:14 AM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Failed to provide him with a lot of things 

Beane has a decent defense. Loses, trades his entire offense. Goes all defense in FA and draft. Why do we have to be so darn lopsoded.?