Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

44 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

(...)

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film?

As far as watching film, that can and should be something Daboll and Culley can do.

As far as that article, someone who's not on the field with you can only teach you so much.  The article sounds as though rookie QB who have an experienced mentor never struggle with adjusting blocking schemes at the line or reading the D.  They do

As far as having an experienced vet to mentor Allen, I agree with both you and the article that it's a gap and a place where the Bills could help Allen and aren't, because a guy who has played has to have a different perspective on what to look at when in real time to figure things out, vs. someone who can put the video on "slow" and replay it 12 times if he doesn't get it the first time.  There's a reason Romo is in a different class as an NFL announcer to all the guys who may have spent years watching film.  He knows exactly where to look and for what in the instant pre snap, and yep, Allen doesn't have someone like that.

That said, for one or another reason, many of today's successful QB did not have that helpful veteran mentor - how much help do you think Flutie was to Brees? and of course Rodgers and Favre are kind of a byword.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I wonder which veteran Jim Kelly had on the roster when we finally got him into a Bill uni.....

Yep....  keep searching for one...

If you ask Jim he will tell you Frank Reich was his biggest supporter and coach and that they prepared together and that during games Reich helped him immensely.  Yes, they were peers but at least he had someone there who understood what being a QB meant.  It should be no surprise to see Reich coaching today, as he a natural at it.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If Beane thought a low quality journeyman with very limited game experience was going to function as a good mentor, he needs to think again.

The guy who I wish was around practice every day, putting his arm over Josh's shoulder, and teaching him about the game is Tony Romo.  Ironically, Romo will be doing our game on Sunday against the Vikings.

Romo has a lot of experience, was a skilled QB, and most importantly, he has shown that he is a very good communicator who gets it.  He also did not play in the game 30 years ago.  His experience is still very fresh and relevant.

The Bills need a guy like that hanging around Josh all the time.  The lack of that sort of voice in Josh's ear is a clear handicap in my opinion.

There is no one around at the moment who can fill that role, including the QB coach.

It seems to me like Debol and Josh Allen are joined at the hip......I think that is his mentor

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So Romo would have left a cushy broadcasting gig for the grind of being a coach?  How come I never read that anywhere?

Romo is totes happy with the broadcaster gig and is not available

Jordan Palmer is also on the record as having all sorts of businesses in addition to his QB prep gig, and no interest in taking on the responsibilities of an assistant NFL coach

That doesn't mean there aren't guys out there who would be willing and able.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Who Mentored 

Goff

Wentz

Ryan

Flacco

Wilson

Carr

Luck

Watson

Big Ben

Rivers

All these College QBs that are going to become first round QBs

And those are off the top of my head 

add Kelly

Marino

Elway

Montana

shall i keep going?

I get it that it's not necessary. However it's still a tool that can be utilized to help assure that Allen is developing. If this guy is our savior why aren't we doing anything we can to help ensure his success? It's not going to break the bank and I don't see how it could be a bad thing to have a veteran QB on the sideline and in the film room with the guy. It helps to have another brain to bounce ideas off of imo.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Romo is totes happy with the broadcaster gig and is not available

Jordan Palmer is also on the record as having all sorts of businesses in addition to his QB prep gig, and no interest in taking on the responsibilities of an assistant NFL coach

That doesn't mean there aren't guys out there who would be willing and able.

Agree I have been on fire Culley for sometime. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

It seems to me like Debol and Josh Allen are joined at the hip......I think that is his mentor

Say it ain't so.   Daboll is going to be one and done with the Bills.  He's on track to get the shitcan after year 1.

2 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I get it that it's not necessary. However it's still a tool that can be utilized to help assure that Allen is developing. If this guy is our savior why aren't we doing anything we can to help ensure his success? It's not going to break the bank and I don't see how it could be a bad thing to have a veteran QB on the sideline and in the film room with the guy. It helps to have another brain to bounce ideas off of imo.

Ok what Mentor. What Vet QB do you know is out there that is willing to come in and help develop a rookie right now. And put his family thru the grind of another NFL season?

What WOULD help him more is getting Gentry a WR he trusts. Tuesday working out Every available interior OL and signing upgrades. Those you know are out there and easy to do. 

Not this unicorn Vet that may or may not be out there 

Edited by MAJBobby

16 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

Once we lost Wood and Incognito was like... Oh boy. I was honestly hoping they would get a OL high and just let one of those top rated QBs come to them. We seriously need some talent infusion on the line. Right now I'm just hoping that as Allen learns to read defenses and set his protection and the linemen get more games in together that it will improve... That's what I'm hoping for at least. Sometimes hope is the first step on the long road to despair haha

If you watched the Senior Bowl game, Allen looked like a Superstar (my opinion).    He looked better than the other quarterbacks who were playing with the same talent.   Of course it was just one game.   I think he has it in him to be great if he is given the right opportunity.    I am not convinced, with Beane running the show, that the Bills are going to give him enough talent at the right positions for him to become as good as he is capable of becoming.   I think things are going to get extremely ugly all around this organization if they get to a point where they are winless half way through the season or 1 and whatever.     Nobody, including football players of character, likes being a laughing stock.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

If you ask Jim he will tell you Frank Reich was his biggest supporter and coach and that they prepared together and that during games Reich helped him immensely.  Yes, they were peers but at least he had someone there who understood what being a QB meant.  It should be no surprise to see Reich coaching today, as he a natural at it.

In 1986 when Jim came over into the NFL, Reich was a 2nd year guy who had dressed for 1 game and thrown 1 pass in his previous year - hardly a vet.

I think it's a highly flawed analogy, because

1) JK played 4 years in a high-level college program, so he had more/higher level college experience than did Allen

2) JK then played 3 years for Mouse Davis in the USFL, so he had more pro football experience than does Allen, and he has said it helped him.

So in 1986 as a nominal "NFL rookie", Jim had far more QB experience than Josh Allen does at this point, and he still kind of stunk up the joint throwing almost as many INTs as TD and taking 43 sacks.  It *is* just possible that the presence of a more experienced QB would have helped Jim, who really by modern standards took about 4 years to hit his NFL groove.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok what Mentor. What Vet QB do you know is out there that is willing to come in and help develop a rookie right now. And put his family thru the grind of another NFL season?

That's what I mean there isn't anyone. This is a situation Beane created. As of today there's Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore... That's about it. I doubt any of them would jump on at this point. This is something Beane should have taken care of back in the off season. Further if AJ McCarron was supposed to be the vet then his judgement is questionable in trading him away because he left the QB room with Allen and Peterman. To get back on track I was saying this is something we all need to keep in mind if Allen doesn't develop as the season goes on.

1 minute ago, GrizzReaper said:

That's what I mean there isn't anyone. This is a situation Beane created. As of today there's Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore... That's about it. I doubt any of them would jump on at this point. This is something Beane should have taken care of back in the off season. Further if AJ McCarron was supposed to be the vet then his judgement is questionable in trading him away because he left the QB room with Allen and Peterman. To get back on track I was saying this is something we all need to keep in mind if Allen doesn't develop as the season goes on.

And in the offseason who was there? Because it is the SAME list 

Edited by MAJBobby

53 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Yep. Big time blunder. the QB coach never played the position before and neither did the QC. There's no experienced vet to help him out. Just Nate Peterman. Even a washed up vet like a Matt Moore would be more useful to him right now.

Let´s bring Moore as a vet, after all, he seems the most recurring name around this lands,.. and we have Vontae´s roster spot

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

If you watched the Senior Bowl game, Allen looked like a Superstar (my opinion).    He looked better than the other quarterbacks who were playing with the same talent.   Of course it was just one game.   I think he has it in him to be great if he is given the right opportunity.    I am not convinced, with Beane running the show, that the Bills are going to give him enough talent at the right positions for him to become as good as he is capable of becoming.   I think things are going to get extremely ugly all around this organization if they get to a point where they are winless half way through the season or 1 and whatever.     Nobody, including football players of character, likes being a laughing stock.

I think the kids has the potential to be great. I just feel like Beane has put him in a bad situation. Like I said we have to wait and see how it goes BUT if it goes bad then that's squarely on our GM. He set all this up.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And in the offseason who was there? Because it is the SAME list 

He could've secured any number of the FA QBs that we were all on here talking about back in the off season... He settled for AJ McCarron. Then he proceeded to trade McCarron and leave us with Nasty Nate and Allen... I just think it was a string of bad moves at this point. I'm not saying it can't work. However if it doesn't work I'll remember who set it all up.

Edited by GrizzReaper
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I also feel having an experienced backup to help Allen out would be beneficial. Maybe they felt like McCarron really didn't fit that role? I mean, the guy went to arbitration to become a free agent because he felt like he could start somewhere. He had a shot here, it didn't go his way and they moved on. Who knows if he would've been the right kinda guy to fill the Josh McCown-type role?

I don't doubt that Beane is keeping his eyes open in case someone becomes available. I'm surprised they haven't given Derek Anderson a call given his history with Carolina.

As soon as the season is over make Alex Van Pelt the associate OC or AHC. This would be an excellent choice