Brandon Bean failed to provide Josh Allen a mentor

GrizzReaper

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yep. Big time blunder. the QB coach never played the position before and neither did the QC. There's no experienced vet to help him out. Just Nate Peterman. Even a washed up vet like a Matt Moore would be more useful to him right now.

Edited by BmarvB
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I read an article uhhh let me put the link https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane/

Ok so I think us Bills fans really need to pay attention to how this plays out. This article makes a valid point imo. Beane may have severely handicapped Josh Allen this season by not having some sort of vet on the roster to help mentor and guide him.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that I thought Allen did ok but he needs work and reps diagnosing defenses, where pressure is coming, setting up his protection. So I'm wondering how important having a wily vet in the QB room may be to his ability to learn that stuff...

Who is in the room helping him watch film? I feel like Beane needs to pull some sort of veteran into the building to help this guy learn to be a pro. As it stands I don't see who there is on the Bills staff or roster that can help this guy learn the job quicker.

So I think we need to be mindful of that. The fact that Beane put us in this particular position. I'm not going to call for his head or anything just yet but I think we need to be aware of it. If it goes wrong... That's a pretty big blunder imo.

NFL players aren't that fond of training their replacements. Ben and Flacco have been publicly antagonistic.  The best example of it is that Farve spent his efforts mocking, insulting, humiliating and actively avoiding helping him. 

I also feel having an experienced backup to help Allen out would be beneficial. Maybe they felt like McCarron really didn't fit that role? I mean, the guy went to arbitration to become a free agent because he felt like he could start somewhere. He had a shot here, it didn't go his way and they moved on. Who knows if he would've been the right kinda guy to fill the Josh McCown-type role?

I don't doubt that Beane is keeping his eyes open in case someone becomes available. I'm surprised they haven't given Derek Anderson a call given his history with Carolina.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The “Vet QB” over rated legacy thinking. Constantly pushed by lazy thinkers that just recycle old way of doing things and thinking.  

Patrick Mahomes really credits guys like Chad Henne for his development so I am not sure what you mean that this is an 'old and recycled' way of thinking

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

NFL players aren't that fond of training their replacements. Ben and Flacco have been publicly antagonistic.  The best example of it is that Farve spent his efforts mocking, insulting, humiliating and actively avoiding helping him. 

ironically, I think that pissed Rodgers off so much he spent his backup career trying to one-up Favre in practice. But that was unintentional mentoring obviously haha.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Patrick Mahomes really credits guys like Chad Henne for his development so I am not sure what you mean that this is an 'old and recycled' way of thinking

Yeah I am sure it is Chad Henne and NOT Andy Reid. 

Who has more of a chance at being the real reason Henne or Andy

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The “Vet QB” over rated legacy thinking. Constantly pushed by lazy thinkers that just recycle old way of doing things and thinking. 

I get that say someone like Flacco isn't going to be overjoyed to help coach up a Lamar Jackson... What about a Josh McCown? Some dude who's washed up and knows it but still wants a paycheck. That can sit in there with Allen and help point out stuff in the film that he needs to see and learn. Right now who is doing that for him? Peterman? With his bounty of NFL QB knowledge and habits?

I seriously feel like Bean has left this kid at a disadvantage.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GrizzReaper said:

I get that say someone like Flacco isn't going to be overjoyed to help coach up a Lamar Jackson... What about a Josh McCown? Some dude who's washed up and knows it but still wants a paycheck. That can sit in there with Allen and help point out stuff in the film that he needs to see and learn. Right now who is doing that for him? Peterman? With his bounty of NFL QB knowledge and habits?

I seriously feel like Bean has left this kid at a disadvantage.

He did. With this OL, And weapons. 

Not because there is no Vet QB sucking a paycheck 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't remember the exact words but during the broadcast Steve Beurelein said something like, "Beane told me that AJ McCarron wasn't who they thought he was."

So I wonder if Beane planned for AJ to both start for a while and mentor Josh - and it didn't work out?  

Yep.   That was quite an admission.    Wasn't Beane more of the cap guru for the Panthers rather than a "football man?"    I wonder how much he knows about player evaluation, particularly in terms of the free agent crop signed this past year and some of the talent traded away or not re-signed...

4 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Beane failed Allen by not getting him someone who could catch a ball. 

Unfortunately, Benjamin decided to "take a nap' this season.

Right so we have these other issues too... The O line not very good. The WRs not very good. Then the kid doesn't even have someone with some veteran knowledge to help him learn the job... Once again imo not very good. So I'm watching this play out and IF it all goes bad. I think it's safe to say this falls squarely on our GM. He put this roster together this way... He went through it and made sure it was deemed his creation from day 1. I think we all need to keep that in mind when we are watching our rookie QB week to week trying to see if the kid is getting any better. Beane could've done more to put Allen in a better position to succeed. As of right now it kinda looks like he has set him up for failure...

Edited by GrizzReaper
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I am sure it is Chad Henner and NOT Andy Reid. 

Who has more of a chance at being the real reason Henne or Andy

Henne was never a great starter but he had a lot of experience. Reading defenses, blitz pickups, setting the oline etc. Those are all things he did learn a lot from him and alex smith.

Now that being said, not every successful qb had that mentor and that can be a little overrated

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1