Fumble or Out of Bounds?

1 minute ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

This might have been covered, but I really was confused about the Charger's receiver going out of bounds, but loosing the football BEFORE his elbow hit the turf. To me, that ball was loose and falling out of his hand and the Bills should have been awarded the turnover. Thoughts?

I agree....I thought the ball was coming loose. I was suprised it held up.

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Because he was touching the ball and had a body part touching out of bounds, he became an extension of the sideline thus the ball was fumbled was out of bounds. 

I guess thats the rule, sux but interpretation was by the book

Same thing happened last week on the punt. Bunch of Bills had the ball the ball was never out...but parts of their bodies were. 

That rule is clear and so was the call. Bummer in the moment, but it was right. 

google "dead Patriot"... the first replay i told everyone in our section this is the rule..Charger Ball..they said I was an idiot..i knew from Dead Patriot Game.

They also said I was an idiot on touchback call was going to happen and first touched rule...don't mess with me on arcane NFL rules!!!!

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

This might have been covered, but I really was confused about the Charger's receiver going out of bounds, but loosing the football BEFORE his elbow hit the turf. To me, that ball was loose and falling out of his hand and the Bills should have been awarded the turnover. Thoughts?

This is so easy - yes it was a fumble - ball came out before the elbow hit out of bounds.

The WR then landed out of bound (elbow) while still touching the ball - therefore it is a dead ball out of bounds.

The Bills have seen this exact thing at least 3 times in the last 2 years - where a guy fumbles on the sideline and either lands out of bounds and touches the ball - ala LA this weekend or the Dolphins last year OR the Bills trying to recover end up touching the ball out of bounds ala last week in Baltimore.

48 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

google "dead Patriot"... the first replay i told everyone in our section this is the rule..Charger Ball..they said I was an idiot..i knew from Dead Patriot Game.

They also said I was an idiot on touchback call was going to happen and first touched rule...don't mess with me on arcane NFL rules!!!!

Ok , so you're saying they were only wrong twice...

• Haha (+1) 1

This happens to all all the time

I am very surprised bills fans don't understand the rule yet

Most famously cost us a game against the Pats of course, in the "unconscious head resting out of bounds game":

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2001/12/17/ruling-david-patten-fumble-helps-patriots-beat-bills/Q15dQ696eN1xN4VZ887edI/story.html

Edited by DrDare
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Both were pretty standard calls if you know how rules work. Sounds like your section was full of Seahawks fans.

10 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

He was touching the ball when out of bounds.  As soon as that happens the ball is out of bounds.

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I swear from the replay the ball came out before any body part touched the ground. 

Is there any video or screen caps of it? 

it did, but then his hand( i think hand, could have been his elbow) was touching the ball whist he was out of bounds, making the ball dead at that point.

I think it is  Belichick and the Pats who also instruct their KO return guys..if the ball on the kickoff is close to boundary but you are not sure if it is going to go out...make sure you stand out of bounds first with at least one foot, then pick up the ball. The ball is declared to be out of bounds and the penalty is enforced just as if the ball went  20 yards out of bounds.

The key is the dude has to standing OOB before he touches the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I said it last year and I’ll say it again here. I believe the rule is being poorly interpreted and applied. The ‘intent’ of the rule is so that the RECOVERING player cannot be laying out of bounds. It makes no sense at all that a player who’s out of bounds can effectively stop ANOTHER player from recovering a fumble just by having a body part touch the football!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I said it last year and I’ll say it again here. I believe the rule is being poorly interpreted and applied. The ‘intent’ of the rule is so that the RECOVERING player cannot be laying out of bounds. It makes no sense at all that a player who’s out of bounds can effectively stop ANOTHER player from recovering a fumble just by having a body part touch the football!

It may also be so a member of the recovering team cannot have say, a toe OB and bat the ball towards his teammate before it’s recovered. Anyway, the rule has been around awhile. I recall the Bills being on the wrong end of a call like this recovering a ( Brady?) fumble vs the Pats @BUF in 2001. Anyone else remember this play? It was a close game and the overturned recovery was critical. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's not the intent of the rule.

When a player who is out of bounds he touches the ball, the ball is out of bounds.  It can't then become "in bounds".  It's the same as a player covering a punt with their foot  on the goal line as they try to prevent a touchback.  As soon as they touch the ball, it's out of bounds--or in this case, a touchback.  Even if he taps it backwards and keeps it in bounds, no other player who is in bounds can then possess (or down) it.

No one questions that and it happens all the time.