A couple of frustrating plays yesterday IMO

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

So basically what we’ve got on the board is one segment of fans who hated the Allen pick who can’t wait to call him a “bust”  and another segment who wants to blame everyone but Allen for anything that happens on the field.

This is the TT era all over again. 

I hope to hell Allen pans out if for no other reason that these binary readings of the Bills’ QB situation will be gone for the foreseeable future.

That is just flat wrong, bud. Pretty much every poster that has been supportive of Allen's day yesterday openly acknowledged he missed a bunch of opportunities and looked like a rookie. 

From all of the scouting reports on Allen, we know that accuracy has been a problem for him in the past.  It will get better with experience, coaching and hard work/practice, but will probably never be his greatest strength.  He's also rookie playing in his first couple of games and he is trying to process a whole lot of information that he has not had to in the past, so I wouldn't make too many judgments on what we have seen in the last 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

You could also be right on this.....

It just seems to me that the good TE's in the league find a way to make that catch

I just watched it again. I think it was a great throw and the defender just dove and made a great play to defend it. Clay is a TE but he's not superfast or adept at running deep routes. I don't really think he short-armed it. I think he expects it to get to him on the dead run and the DB just knocked it away at the last second. It was a helluva pass.

The announcer said he should have lofted and not gunned it. I don't think that is right. The DB has more speed than Clay. Others said he shouldn't have thrown it at all. But he looked around, stepped up in the pocket, waited, and right before the pocket collapsed he saw Clay and threw a dart 20-30 yards downfield right on the money. That was a great pass, IMO. And very accurate for the accuracy haters. 

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is just flat wrong, bud. Pretty much every poster that has been supportive of Allen's day yesterday openly acknowledged he missed a bunch of opportunities and looked like a rookie. 

A product of being a rookie his his slow decision making. He looks unsure about what he’s seeing and hesitates before throwing the ball. That’s a product of a game moving much too fast for a young QB and him not having total command of a system. That’s to be expected and not a big deal.

Him making bad decisions with the ball - that’s also a product of being a rookie. Again, excusable at this point is his career.

The excuses for him consistently having bad ball placement is a bit much and has little to do with him being a rookie and more to do with him having horrible footwork. Posters blame the OL, the WR...anybody but Allen for this when it’s mostly to do with his mechanics. Sure there are other factors, it’s a team game after all, but Allen has an accuracy issue that many Bills’ fans don’t want to acknowledge. Pre-draft they saw it. Once he was a Bill those fans convinced themselves otherwise.

I said it to you in pre-season, those mechanics couldn’t be fixed in a single off-season. It will take way more time than that and facing live bullets isn’t the time to work on it. He’s just going to re-enforce his bad habits playing in live games behind a sub par OL.

I wish this regime would have brought in a legit vet to man the QB spot for at least a year and helped the young QB in the film room.

Allen could be a superstar if handled right but nothing I’ve seen from his staff leads me to believe that’s being done.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

A product of being a rookie his his slow decision making. He looks unsure about what he’s seeing and hesitates before throwing the ball. That’s a product of a game moving much too fast for a young QB and him not having total command of a system. That’s to be expected and not a big deal.

Him making bad decisions with the ball - that’s also a product of being a rookie. Again, excusable at this point is his career.

The excuses for him consistently having bad ball placement is a bit much and has little to do with him being a rookie and more to do with him having horrible footwork. Posters blame the OL, the WR...anybody but Allen for this when it’s mostly to do with his mechanics. Sure there are other factors, it’s a team game after all, but Allen has an accuracy issue that many Bills’ fans don’t want to acknowledge. Pre-draft they saw it. Once he was a Bill those fans convinced themselves otherwise.

I said it to you in pre-season, those mechanics couldn’t be fixed in a single off-season. It will take way more time than that and facing live bullets isn’t the time to work on it. He’s just going to re-enforce his bad habits playing in live games behind a sub par OL.

I wish this regime would have brought in a legit vet to man the QB spot for at least a year and helped the young QB in the film room.

Allen could be a superstar if handled right but nothing I’ve seen from his staff leads me to believe that’s being done.

I agree with most all of that. I just didn't see many if any posters blaming everyone else but him. I saw them ALL blaming everyone else including him.

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched it again. I think it was a great throw and the defender just dove and made a great play to defend it. Clay is a TE but he's not superfast or adept at running deep routes. I don't really think he short-armed it. I think he expects it to get to him on the dead run and the DB just knocked it away at the last second. It was a helluva pass.

The announcer said he should have lofted and not gunned it. I don't think that is right. The DB has more speed than Clay. Others said he shouldn't have thrown it at all. But he looked around, stepped up in the pocket, waited, and right before the pocket collapsed he saw Clay and threw a dart 20-30 yards downfield right on the money. That was a great pass, IMO. And very accurate for the accuracy haters. 

Regardless I would love to see Josh continue to attempt that throw in the future......its not gonna get knocked away often by a DB and will probably be a touchdown

I just get this feeling that Josh is gonna have this break out game at some point this season and then its gonna be on

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

What’s frustrating is our Oline is terrible but yet they’re having Josh Allen take 5 step drops and reading the defense.

Id be calling quic hitters, pivot and throw. Substitute the run game with short passing game. 1-5 yd hitches, quick outs, slants, short crossing routes, WR screens, TE screen, RB motion quick outs/hitches, swing passes..... that would be 70% of the plays id call.

i just felt a lot of the play calling was 5 step drops requiring Josh to read the defense and asking the Oline hold a pocket for 4-5 seconds. Vs get the ball out in 2 seconds.

Allen had a lot of time on many plays. He held the ball a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Allen had a lot of time on many plays. He held the ball a long time. 

I also think Josh had more time in this game......there were also some situations where Josh did not recognize the free blitzer which IS on the QB.......but that is also a rookie thing...he will get better at that as time goes on.

The more concerning thing to me is how the OL isnt blocking for the run.

Until Allen is able to burn defenses for going all out on him, this is going to continue.  Daboll has to help him by giving him quick stuff - or screens.  I did not have access to the game at all yesterday...  did we do many screens?

I think getting them to stop stuffing the box is going to help the o-line look better, help the running game, and thus help the team.  But they have to just have some programmed - quick hits that burn a blitz heavy team before they'll remove some of the pressure.

I agree that the velocity/accuracy is an issue.  I saw a few replays and that ball he zipped in to Zay was flying in there and Zay almost turned that over with a bobble, plus he had to slow up since it was thrown a bit short.  Experience/reps is going to help, at game speed etc.

In short, experience and small successes are going to help a lot.  And that goes across the offense, not just Allen, but our O-Line has 2 players who are consistent from last year - Dawkins and Mills....  everyone else is new/adjusting.

Just now, MTBill said:

Until Allen is able to burn defenses for going all out on him, this is going to continue.  Daboll has to help him by giving him quick stuff - or screens.  I did not have access to the game at all yesterday...  did we do many screens?

I'm just going off the "all of allens pass attempts" video and mind you these are not necessarily screens but players that are set up underneath the zone as an outlet.  This is what I saw when looking at those underneath players (highlighted are the underneath receiver):

1 covered (threw to different receiver, completed)
2 defender close (2-3 yards away, threw to different receiver)
3  passed to ivory  (broken up)
4 ivory open (threw pick intended to croom)
5 (passed to but incomplete, broken up)
6 open - completed elsewhere
7 - open and completed
8 - open dropped 
9 - ivory completed and big run

There may have been more but I think he did a good job of completing the ball elsewhere instead of throwing to his outlets other than the pick.

The part that I think is odd is that they only ran 1 of these plays in the first half and it was probably with about 3-4 minutes left in the 2nd qtr.  

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

What’s frustrating is our Oline is terrible but yet they’re having Josh Allen take 5 step drops and reading the defense.

Id be calling quic hitters, pivot and throw. Substitute the run game with short passing game. 1-5 yd hitches, quick outs, slants, short crossing routes, WR screens, TE screen, RB motion quick outs/hitches, swing passes..... that would be 70% of the plays id call.

i just felt a lot of the play calling was 5 step drops requiring Josh to read the defense and asking the Oline hold a pocket for 4-5 seconds. Vs get the ball out in 2 seconds.

think the wrs lack the explosion to get open  I too would like to see mindless rhythm throw to get him comfortable  Quick outs/slants jerk route from rbs  Seems they need longer developing patterns to create any room

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Because a huge segment of TSW wears rose colored glasses (always has and always will) about so many elements of this team.   Rationalization is the Wall's raison d'etre.

Another huge segment of TSW wears dung colored glasses (always has and always will) about so many elements of this team.

Bitching is the true Wall's raison d'etre.

12 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I agree...The OC is not putting ALlen in a place to succeed...We don't Allen to run this offense...it must be Shady!

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

the most disturbing play I saw yesterday was in the first half I think when Allen had Murph about 6 yards away and air mailed it over his head.  that gave me cold chills and flashbacks of JP Losman.

Not EJ ?