Defense - What is The Excuse?

ngbills

Yes it should be improved.

That EJ Gaines loss was big though. When he was healthy last year, it was a different defence.

Star and Murphy have been underwhelming so far.

Edmunds looks pretty lost on a lot of plays.

Frazier has had some rough game plans.

Combine those things and this is why they have struggled mightily so far.

Edited by billsfan11

two wily vet QBs shredded the Bills

and the Ravens coaching staff are well above the Bills, not quite sure about the Chargers

eventually they will run into a non-established QB and/or an opponent that is not good or prepped

not for awhile though

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What is the excuse? Shouldn't this unit be improved from last year? McD and team had a year to buld the defense how they wanted. They hadded guys and got rid of guys. There were no surprises or losses that they did not decide upon. 

Trust the Process as they say.  It was all planned

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Troubleshooting 101:

The D sucked for six quarters.

Then, a halftime adjustment was made, and the D played two decent quarters.

What was removed? That was probably the culprit.

To be fair, I also think that the Chargers took their pedal off the gas a bit in the second half (i.e., punting from the Bills 34 in a 4th and short situation).

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Troubleshooting 101:

The D sucked for six quarters.

Then, a halftime adjustment was made, and the D played two decent quarters.

What was removed? That was probably the culprit.

the halftime adjustment was the Chargers letting up after their 3rd TD and letting the clock wind out, on O and D

the Chargers began well before halftime

you know like when your gascan pitcher falls behind 3-0 and the ump gives him a pity strike on the 4th pitch and fans think this is the turning point of the game...

33 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What is the excuse? Shouldn't this unit be improved from last year? McD and team had a year to buld the defense how they wanted. They hadded guys and got rid of guys. There were no surprises or losses that they did not decide upon. 

Well considering our D looked great after Davis quit and McD took over the play calling then I could say there is your answer.  We had a bad seed who wasnt committed and a DC not doing a good job calling plays.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well considering our D looked great after Davis quit and McD took over the play calling then I could say there is your answer.  We had a bad seed who wasnt committed and a DC not doing a good job calling plays.  

As I said above, the Chargers also took their foot off the gas in the second half at least a little. The D did look better, but the Chargers were in fact protecting a huge lead and it never got closer than 15 points. They even punted on 4th and short from the Bills' 34. Factor that in. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As I said above, the Chargers also took their foot off the gas in the second half at least a little. The D did look better, but the Chargers were in fact protecting a huge lead and it never got closer than 15 points. They even punted on 4th and short from the Bills' 34. Factor that in. 

What a load of crap. They did not take "their foot off the gas" at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

What a load of crap. They did not take "their foot off the gas" at halftime.

??? I did say that the Bills D looked better, but if you think that the Chargers weren't playing "protect the lead" at least a little against a team with a terrible offense, I don't know what to say. The evidence shows that they punted from the Bills' 34 yard line on fourth and short, for chrissake!

No excuses. Only reasons. And if anyone at OBD is looking for the former vs. finding solutions to the latter, they need to pull a Vontae and clear out. Preferably BEFORE the game starts.

Edited by K-9

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

??? I did say that the Bills D looked better, but if you think that the Chargers weren't playing "protect the lead" at least a little against a team with a terrible offense, I don't know what to say. The evidence shows that they punted from the Bills' 34 yard line on fourth and short, for chrissake!

You're trying to qualify the Bills defense looking much better in the second half, and being completely disingenuous about it. You damn well know that the Chargers weren't "protecting the lead" when they went 3-and-out several times to start the second half.

• Like (+1) 1