The Transition from Eric Wood to Ryan Groy Has Been Painful to Watch

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That short stint when he replaced Eric Wood due to injury lulled many into a false sense of security this season.   Groy has been a major disappointment and shoulders quite a bit of responsibility for the OLs failures thus far. 

Yup, I agree, and was part of that group thinking Groy would be fine as Wood’s replacement. It seems that the scheme was more a factor than Groy actually being a decent back-up/replacement center. 

Im gonna say that I have been wrong on Groy thus far.

I thought that he filled in well for Wood when he got hurt and I translated that into being at least a servicable starter.......

Im seeing Groy getting pushed around and with his size that should not be happening.....but I am seeing all of our interior doing the same thing

What we are forgetting that it could also be the new scheme.  Woods might be getting abused if he was here also.  The line looked and played much better in 15 and 16 and then without much change all of a sudden couldn't run block or pass block in 2017?  I mean if he doesn't fit the scheme then it is entirely possible that he isn't going to look very good.  That said it doesn't change the fact that he played as well or better than Woods was playing when he took over for him when he got injured.

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im gonna say that I have been wrong on Groy thus far.

I thought that he filled in well for Wood when he got hurt and I translated that into being at least a servicable starter.......

Im seeing Groy getting pushed around and with his size that should not be happening.....but I am seeing all of our interior doing the same thing

You're not alone there.

I think if they can slide him to LG he'll be salvageable.

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

I miss the old days when posters hated on Wood.

He used to get pushed around a lot as well  Every time we played the Bengals Geno Atkins would throw him around a few times  Not a Wood fan but he's probably better than what we got going now

The most sacked NFL QB in a season is David Carr.

Sacked 76 times in 2002.

Will Josh Allen take that record from Carr this season?!

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

And people complained about Eric Wood daily..

The fact that Groy is terrible doesn't make Wood better.

He was not as good as his reputation suggested IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

What we are forgetting that it could also be the new scheme.  Woods might be getting abused if he was here also.  The line looked and played much better in 15 and 16 and then without much change all of a sudden couldn't run block or pass block in 2017?  I mean if he doesn't fit the scheme then it is entirely possible that he isn't going to look very good.  That said it doesn't change the fact that he played as well or better than Woods was playing when he took over for him when he got injured.

Greg Roman could run design scheme is best in NFL. But even back then the pass protection was awful.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That short stint when he replaced Eric Wood due to injury lulled many into a false sense of security this season.   Groy has been a major disappointment and shoulders quite a bit of responsibility for the OLs failures thus far. 

Interesting that Groy, Miller have regressed EVERY year with Teflon Juan 

6 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Yup, I agree, and was part of that group thinking Groy would be fine as Wood’s replacement. It seems that the scheme was more a factor than Groy actually being a decent back-up/replacement center. 

I don't think these are contradictory.  Groy might be a decent center in a different scheme and playing between different guards.

The year he replaced Wood he was playing in Kromer's scheme between Cog and (I think) Miller.

The all-22 hasn't come out on Gamepass yet, but one thing I noticed in Week 1 is that he simply wasn't fast and nimble enough to make the moves required of him and re-set before he lost leverage on the Ravens defenders.  I'm not sure who is at fault, but there were a couple plays where it looked like Ducasse and Groy were getting their feet tangled.

When Daboll was asking the OL to stay home and just handle the dude in front of them, it worked better. 

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The most sacked NFL QB in a season is David Carr.

Sacked 76 times in 2002.

Will Josh Allen take that record from Carr this season?!

The fact that Groy is terrible doesn't make Wood better.

He was not as good as his reputation suggested IMO.

agreed, never understood the love affair with Wood

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Before the season I was adamant that the line wouldn’t be as bad as everyone was saying. Boy was I wrong. I thought they were better yesterday though compared to the Ravens game

I don't have good enough "football eyes" to sort the blocking from televised coverage.  I'm going to be interested to get the all-22 and see if they look better because someone with sense went through the film and X'd out the blocking schemes these guys just can't seem to execute.

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Before the season I was adamant that the line wouldn’t be as bad as everyone was saying. Boy was I wrong. I thought they were better yesterday though compared to the Ravens game

Count me in that group too. Anyone have BBQ for this crow?

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

New scheme is debatable but it is no excuse.  They had all offseason to replace Wood with someone, anyone, who fit the scheme.  Instead we wound up starting 5 guys who were on the roster last year after Bodine failed to beat out Groy in camp.  This line does nothing well.  Shady and Murph are seeing contact 2 yards behind scrimmage and Allen saw contact on at least 2 plays yesterday as he finished his drop.  That is pathetic. 

How many players on our OL start on any other team in the league?  I would say MAYBE Dawkins.