The Transition from Eric Wood to Ryan Groy Has Been Painful to Watch

26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The most sacked NFL QB in a season is David Carr.

Sacked 76 times in 2002.

Will Josh Allen take that record from Carr this season?!

Ugh.  At a guess, he'll get injured first.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The fact that Groy is terrible doesn't make Wood better.

He was not as good as his reputation suggested IMO.

Simplistic.  Like any OLman, Wood's performance depended upon 1) the scheme 2) the guy next to him

He played well at center in Chan Gailey's offense between Levitre and Urbik.  He had some nasty, nasty mauling play.

He did not do so well under Marrone next to the great Doug Legursky and that marvelous RT-turned-RG Eric Pears

Kromer brought sanity and Wood played well again between 'Cog and Miller

I don't think he was a good fit for Castillo's scheme, which I think 'Cog also struggled with. 

I think there are probably very few OLmen who you can look at and say "Oh, that guy is an all-pro" regardless of who is next to him and what kind of blocking they're trying to run

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

What we are forgetting that it could also be the new scheme.  Woods might be getting abused if he was here also.  The line looked and played much better in 15 and 16 and then without much change all of a sudden couldn't run block or pass block in 2017?  I mean if he doesn't fit the scheme then it is entirely possible that he isn't going to look very good.  That said it doesn't change the fact that he played as well or better than Woods was playing when he took over for him when he got injured.

Wood was abused last year and yes, in part it was a scheme the whole line was struggling to adapt to and also a coach who is reportedly "My Way or the Highway" in wanting OLmen to use only his techniques

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think these are contradictory.  Groy might be a decent center in a different scheme and playing between different guards.

The year he replaced Wood he was playing in Kromer's scheme between Cog and (I think) Miller.

The all-22 hasn't come out on Gamepass yet, but one thing I noticed in Week 1 is that he simply wasn't fast and nimble enough to make the moves required of him and re-set before he lost leverage on the Ravens defenders.  I'm not sure who is at fault, but there were a couple plays where it looked like Ducasse and Groy were getting their feet tangled.

When Daboll was asking the OL to stay home and just handle the dude in front of them, it worked better. 

I agree on the assessment of Groy. He just isn't a natural center. The guy is a guard. Everything he does look s stiff and unnatural. I wouldn't be against trying Bodine there with Groy at guard simply because Bodine has the experience. Is it going to better? Maybe, but to my eye Groy has not looked good. Bodine has natural center movements but is susceptible to the bull rush. Something has to give but I'd like to see what Dawkins-Teller-Bodine-Groy-Mills looks like. 

Their biggest problem isn't their talent, it's the lack of communication.  No way an NFL team should have so many guys running unblocked at the QB instantly.  They are not recognizing assignments and executing on who should block whom.  Guys are double teaming rushers and leaving guys completely unblocked.  It's not like they are outnumbered or anything.  This is happening on 4 and 5 man rushes.  I think this is where Wood really excelled.  Calling the line adjustments and making sure rushers were accounted for.

And they are not fantastic blockers when engaged either, but they are adequate.

Edited by Mark80
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

What we are forgetting that it could also be the new scheme.  Woods might be getting abused if he was here also.  The line looked and played much better in 15 and 16 and then without much change all of a sudden couldn't run block or pass block in 2017?  I mean if he doesn't fit the scheme then it is entirely possible that he isn't going to look very good.  That said it doesn't change the fact that he played as well or better than Woods was playing when he took over for him when he got injured.

I think its worth discussion.
Snapping to two or 3 different QBs and splitting reps with Bodine for so long.

he will settle in. new guys on the left and right of him as well. O lines need time

Qbs and Ctrs need time.

aint been much fun for anyone so far i bet

Just now, Mark80 said:

Their biggest problem isn't their talent, it's the lack of communication.  No way an NFL team should have so many guys running unblocked at the QB instantly.  They are not recognizing assignments and executing on who should block whom.  Guys are double teaming rushers and leaving guys completely unblocked.  It's not like they are outnumbered or anything.  This is happening on 4 and 5 man rushes.

All characteristic of a Juan Castillo coached OL.  At least from Baltimore up to now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watching Edmunds and Poyer, as well as the Specials Teams was far more painful.

Not to me.  At least with Edmunds it can be chalked up to he's young and learning.  Poyer can be chalked up to he thinks he has to overcompensate.  Groy just straight getting pimp slapped backwards and around like cardboard is just ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Their biggest problem isn't their talent, it's the lack of communication.  No way an NFL team should have so many guys running unblocked at the QB instantly.  They are not recognizing assignments and executing on who should block whom.  Guys are double teaming rushers and leaving guys completely unblocked.  It's not like they are outnumbered or anything.  This is happening on 4 and 5 man rushes.  I think this is where Wood really excelled.  Calling the line adjustments and making sure rushers were accounted for.

Wood had his problems last year and I thought I saw a lot of confusion, as you describe above. 

I think there's something about Castillo's scheme and protections that more often results in confusion.  In 2014-2016 when Castillo was coaching in Baltimore, I thought their OL had talent, but looked confused on too many plays.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That short stint when he replaced Eric Wood due to injury lulled many into a false sense of security this season.   Groy has been a major disappointment and shoulders quite a bit of responsibility for the OLs failures thus far. 

Agree!

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Not to me.  At least with Edmunds it can be chalked up to he's young and learning.  Poyer can be chalked up to he thinks he has to overcompensate.  Groy just straight getting pimp slapped backwards and around like cardboard is just ugly.

Power has been stiff armed to the ground regularly.  He's like a mosquito for these guys in the open field.  He was being abused like a Phi Sig at a Theta Delt party around 3AM...

Edmunds looks super slow.

He is clearly the worst player on that OL, followed by Mills. I really want to see us move Dawkins to RT and use our 1st pick in the 2019 draft on a LT, then draft a new C on day 2. I hope PFF is right about Teller. That would leave Ducasse and Miller to slug it out for the other G spot unless they sign a G in FA or draft OT, G and C in the same draft. They might just do that too. I think we can fill in WR. CB and LB in FA.