Every throw from Josh Allen’s 1st start

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

After watching this, a few thoughts:

This kid has got it all. Give him a year. a half-decent OL and a couple of good receivers, Josh Allen will be a franchise QB in no time. 

• The two INTs were simply a QB trying to make something from nothing. Not really that bad, and he will learn from them.
  • The one deep pass over the middle to Clay in the first half was SOOOO close to a TD...I'd like to see video of the rout and see if where the ball was placed, if Clay dogged it, or if James just made a great play on the ball. 
  • I counted 5 drops of catchable balls.
  • He air-mailed one to Holmes over the middle and threw three or four other balls that weren't great. 
  • Had a stretch where both Clay and DiMarco had to make very good catches of what should've been better-thrown balls. Also, that one early pass in the flat to Murphy that he missed. 
  • He missed a few blitzes and a couple of those sacks were on him. But the Chargers were really throwing some exotic looks and pressure at him. 
  • Otherwise, he seemed to do well on the short passes. After a year of playing, I guarantee Allen will be getting rid of the ball sooner and cleaner. Hell, he was doing that from first quarter to the 4th. 

I don't get it, the comments on this video in Twitter just rake him over the coals. "Trash" and "LOLs". I don't think they're even watching, just going with the national story that Allen is going to be a bust. Really odd, though, because I see a very promising and poised rookie. 

I'm really excited to see how he progresses this year. Can you imagine what this kid will be able to do in two years time - assuming they actually get him some help? 

Good chance of being an all-pro level QB. 

I think your overall assessment is correct  ut your bullet points are too tough on him. No qb throws it exactly where it needs to be every time.  He was well within adequate on his throws.  

I think he needed some loft on the deep ball to Clay.  I thinks DiMarco fell down because he stopped running and hadn't recover to catch the ball.  

This was a good outing for Allen. He is going to make m8stakea, but I also think he will be better every week.  

20 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I wish this was Jeopardy.

99% of the human race would answer: “What is a QB in his first ever NFL start?”

Sam Darnold was by virtually every account solid or better week 1. Jets win.

Week 2, I read a headline that said more negatives than positive. Jets lose.

The major swings in consistency are the benchmark that define Darnold's career, and he appears at best a middling qb.   

If he does not improve his career win/loss % will be around .500%. If you think that's acceptable I don't know what to tell you. 

I’m seeing a debate about some of his balls that aren’t right on the money.... all I keep seeing when I sit down other games are wr’s making PHENOMENAL plays for their qb’s. Game after game I see qb’s just try and put it in the “area code” and wr’s making beautiful plays. And this isn’t just high profile wr’s. John brown, Keelan Cole, and Lockett come to mind right off the top of my head just this week. 

I sit there watching these plays thinking “why in the hell do we not have one guy that can reward our qb for taking a chance on him. Must be nice.” 

Until the bills can get some true playmakers Allen is going to be unfairly crucified for any accuracy flaw. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Accuracy issues and slow eyes. Not a great combo and I'm not sure there correctable. The 57 yarder for Zay Jones should've been thrown way earlier and it's an easy TD. He also had Charles Clay streaking down the sidelines and never saw him. Another easy TD. The growing pains are gonna be real but I'm not even sure some of his weaknesses can be corrected. 

Still has a chance to be a Top 10-15 QB in this league and you can win with that if you have a solid OL, good defense and give him weapons. So it's imperative we help him out this off season.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Accuracy issues and slow eyes. Not a great combo and I'm not sure there correctable. The 57 yarder for Zay Jones should've been thrown way earlier and it's an easy TD. He also had Charles Clay streaking down the sidelines and never saw him. Another easy TD.

The growing pains are gonna be real but I'm not even sure some of his weaknesses can be corrected. 

For God's sakes.  It was his first game.  I get called out for criticizing fans instead of players.  Go ahead and do it again if you want, because this kind of stuff is nuts.  Slow eyes- it's his first time against a full defense prepped for a real game.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

For God's sakes.  It was his first game.  I get called out for criticizing fans instead of players.  Go ahead and do it again if you want, because this kind of stuff is nuts.  Slow eyes- it's his first time against a full defense prepped for a real game.

I agree that the game should slow down with more snaps under his belt, so he’ll be able to get through his progressions quicker. But what did you think about his accuracy? I am not really a believer that accuracy is a correctable trait.

Just now, Buddy Hix said:

I agree that the game should slow down with more snaps under his belt, so he’ll be able to get through his progressions quicker. But what did you think about his accuracy? I am not really a believer that accuracy is a correctable trait.

I think it will improve.  He works constantly on his mechanics.  When they game slows down for him then the mechanics are easier to accomplish.

To me the most important thing for any young QB, far apart from mechanics, arm strength, etc., is for the game to slow down.  When you can get the game to slow down, you can come up to the line more confident in where the ball should go, more confident in your throw, you can step up with more confidence.  And so on.

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

I waited until I could watch this video to give my opinion because being at the game it was hard to see where every ball was located, and the video reinforces what I felt in person, that Allen was bad. Allen is missing RBs on wheel routes or in the flat by three feet, and underthrowing deep balls despite the big arm. I fully understand the context of being in his first start, and I'll give him credit for being poised, but this is exactly what Allen was in Wyoming...inaccurate, with no touch.

I hope he improves and look forward to seeing if he can fix his accuracy, but as we have seen in the past, fixing inaccuracy is a tall order.

I rewatched it and accuracy isn't my main concern. I only counted 3 passes that were too inaccurate by NFL standards - the miss to Murphy, the 2nd interception, and the Dimarco catch. I'm much more concerned about his pre-snap and post-snap recognition. He is slow to read the field IMO. That will hopefully improve with time. Like on the deep completion to Zay he was open long before Allen threw him the ball. The pass protection wasn't that bad in this game - I would only put 2 or 3 sacks on the OL. He held the ball a little too long and sometimes stares down his reads. He needs to recognize blitzes better too. Not trying to nitpick, that's just what I saw in his first ever start.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I rewatched it and accuracy isn't my main concern. I only counted 3 passes that were too inaccurate by NFL standards - the miss to Murphy, the 2nd interception, and the Dimarco catch. I'm much more concerned about his pre-snap and post-snap recognition. He is slow to read the field IMO. That will hopefully improve with time. Like on the deep completion to Zay he was open long before Allen threw him the ball. The pass protection wasn't that bad in this game - I would only put 2 or 3 sacks on the OL. He held the ball a little too long and sometimes stares down his reads. He needs to recognize blitzes better too. Not trying to nitpick, that's just what I saw in his first ever start.

I would be willing to wager we'd see that in 99% of guys making their first start.  I was encouraged that he didn't have the deer in the headlights look.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think your overall assessment is correct  ut your bullet points are too tough on him. No qb throws it exactly where it needs to be every time.  He was well within adequate on his throws.  

I think he needed some loft on the deep ball to Clay.  I thinks DiMarco fell down because he stopped running and hadn't recover to catch the ball.  

This was a good outing for Allen. He is going to make m8stakea, but I also think he will be better every week.  

So far, Allen is 2nd in the NFL in average air yards per attempt and 5th in percentage of throws into tight windows (1 yard or less between defender and receiver) - which means (in looking at the numbers) he throws more deep routes with less separation by receivers than any other QB. He also takes longer to throw the ball (from snap to release) than any other QB, which I feel is more of an issue of scrambling, keeping plays alive, and waiting for deeper plays to develop. To me, it is more of an indictment on the receiving corps that, in spite of the fact that Allen takes longer to throw the ball (which means more time for receivers to separate), he still has one of the highest percentage of throws into tight windows.

Contrast that with Mahomes, who is 1st in the NFL in average air yards per attempt, but, has the second lowest percentage of throws into tight windows. Mahomes is having an amazing year so far; however, as good as it is, I have still seen plenty of throws that required adjustments from receivers because they were not "perfect" throws. For example, on the touchdown throw to, I believe it was Travis Kelce, Kelce had to slow down and wait for the throw. However, because there wasn't anyone within ten yards of him, he could do that and still get into the endzone. It is easier to make those adjustments and catch the ball when the receiver does not have a defender all over him.

Allen had a good first outing. Time and increasing the surrounding talent will be the key for his improvement.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I think it will improve.  He works constantly on his mechanics.  When they game slows down for him then the mechanics are easier to accomplish.

To me the most important thing for any young QB, far apart from mechanics, arm strength, etc., is for the game to slow down.  When you can get the game to slow down, you can come up to the line more confident in where the ball should go, more confident in your throw, you can step up with more confidence.  And so on.

I am on the fence as to whether this particular situation (bad O line, bad receivers) will have a negative impact on Allen’s ability to improve his mechanics, I would assume it’s easy to fall back into bad habits when you’re running for your life.

I hope things do slow down for him and he grows this year.

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree. I think it takes time to learn this scheme, so that should improve. Either way, it gives us something to dissect every week in a rebuilding year.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

So far, Allen is 2nd in the NFL in average air yards per attempt and 5th in percentage of throws into tight windows (1 yard or less between defender and receiver) - which means (in looking at the numbers) he throws more deep routes with less separation by receivers than any other QB. He also takes longer to throw the ball (from snap to release) than any other QB, which I feel is more of an issue of scrambling, keeping plays alive, and waiting for deeper plays to develop. To me, it is more of an indictment on the receiving corps that, in spite of the fact that Allen takes longer to throw the ball (which means more time for receivers to separate), he still has one of the highest percentage of throws into tight windows.

Contrast that with Mahomes, who is 1st in the NFL in average air yards per attempt, but, has the second lowest percentage of throws into tight windows. Mahomes is having an amazing year so far; however, as good as it is, I have still seen plenty of throws that required adjustments from receivers because they were not "perfect" throws. For example, on the touchdown throw to, I believe it was Travis Kelce, Kelce had to slow down and wait for the throw. However, because there wasn't anyone within ten yards of him, he could do that and still get into the endzone. It is easier to make those adjustments and catch the ball when the receiver does not have a defender all over him.

Allen had a good first outing. Time and increasing the surrounding talent will be the key for his improvement.

Excellent points.

I am most encouraged by the simple fact that Allen did not wilt under pressure. That is, he looked beyond the pass rush and kept his eyes downfield. He certainly needs to become more accurate and work on getting the ball out of his hand more quickly -- but those are common traits that take time to develop. I just hope that Dabol and the rest of the coaching staff have what it takes to help the kid reach his potential. It would also help if the supporting cast would step up. I would not shed a tear if Andre Holmes was cut tomorrow, for example.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm trying to put things into perspective.  I disliked Tyrod's performance because he made stupid, rookie mistakes in his 6th, 7th and 8th year in the league whilst in Buffalo.  In my book, a veteran QB who makes rookie mistakes on a consistent basis, sucks.

There are people on this site who are up in arms about the mistakes Allen made on Sunday.  Well color me pink and roll me in dog****, a true rookie in his first NFL start against the San Diego !@#$ing Chargers actually made mistakes???  

No ****.  He's a rookie.  And he's a rookie QB on the worst team in the league.  Anyone expecting him to look good in his first game is a moron.

That's what this has to do with his inaccuracy.

In comparison to a guy that sucks, he didn't suck so bad?  OK.   Got it.

The guy you're referring to is the leader in completion percentage in Buffalo Bills history fwiw.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I would be willing to wager we'd see that in 99% of guys making their first start.  I was encouraged that he didn't have the deer in the headlights look.

I agree. To me, that is the most damning( and uncorrectable) trait in an NFL QB. It comes from within, and there is no cure. 

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

In comparison to a guy that sucks, he didn't suck so bad?  OK.   Got it.

The guy you're referring to is the leader in completion percentage in Buffalo Bills history fwiw.

Yeah.  And if I could bowl on a bowling lane that was 4 feet long, I'd get 300s every game.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. To me, that is the most damning( and uncorrectable) trait in an NFL QB. It comes from within, and there is no cure. 

This is true. The eyes are the portal to the soul. Once the eyes glaze over you know the guy has lost confidence and is done. And there is no coming back. I remember seeing Trent warming up on the sidelines before a Browns game. His eyes were dead. I thought "this is not going to end well". I thought I saw the same thing in Peterman's demeanour in a presser before the Ravens game, which frankly I did not expect from him. Said he was focussed on getting better in a weak sort of way. Hardly what you want to hear from your leader before the season opener. Projected zero confidence as though he had come to the realization that he was not up to it. I was disappointed in him. 

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m seeing a debate about some of his balls that aren’t right on the money.... all I keep seeing when I sit down other games are wr’s making PHENOMENAL plays for their qb’s. Game after game I see qb’s just try and put it in the “area code” and wr’s making beautiful plays. And this isn’t just high profile wr’s. John brown, Keelan Cole, and Lockett come to mind right off the top of my head just this week. 

I sit there watching these plays thinking “why in the hell do we not have one guy that can reward our qb for taking a chance on him. Must be nice.” 

Until the bills can get some true playmakers Allen is going to be unfairly crucified for any accuracy flaw. 

You're singing my tune man.  the Bills will never have a good QB or prolific offense until they get some quality  NFL WRs.  Trying to get by with schmucks as we have been for the most part throughout the drought and last year won't get it done.  Good teams have figured this out. Sean McVey gets to LA and immediately updates his WR group by signing Sammy and Woods and drafting Kupp.  Because he wanted a prolific offense.  Bill Bellyache traded a first for Brandon Cooks.  The Falcons who already have a franchise guy in Matt Ryan have trade up in the first round TWICE for WRs (Julio Jones and Ridley).  Look a the guys Big Ben has.  Look what Fitz is doing now that he had good WRs.  When we did have good ones (Woods, Watkins, Harvin, Hogan, Goodwin), we were top 1/3 of the league in scoring with a so so QB. On and on.

I'll say it again: "The Bills will never have a prolific offense or good QB until they get quality WRs."