Every throw from Josh Allen’s 1st start

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah. Both his feet were off the ground when he released the ball. Crazy stuff. It's the kind of thing that drove some analysts to distraction.

To me that one was awful but easy to see what happened. You literally never ever practice what Josh did. Roll to your left and throw a 10 yard lob way up in the air. It was just a simple error and something he isn't likely to do. He saw Murphy wide wide open, and instead of throwing it on a line which he would have done if he were covered, or taking a little off and throwing it like a swing pass which he did 3-4 times with success in the game, he just decided to lob it out there because no one was near him, and he just overcompensated and blew it. It was just a dumb decision to throw a pass like you never ever throw. A lot of quarterbacks will say sometimes when a guy is uncovered it isn't as easy as it looks because you are thinking I can't possibly blow this, can I? And it plays games with you. To me it's easily explainable and nothing to do with his inaccuracy, which was a small problem in the game. In fact, two of his completions were a bigger accuracy issue than that fluke play. 

After watching this, a few thoughts:

This kid has got it all. Give him a year. a half-decent OL and a couple of good receivers, Josh Allen will be a franchise QB in no time. 

• The two INTs were simply a QB trying to make something from nothing. Not really that bad, and he will learn from them.
  • The one deep pass over the middle to Clay in the first half was SOOOO close to a TD...I'd like to see video of the rout and see if where the ball was placed, if Clay dogged it, or if James just made a great play on the ball. 
  • I counted 5 drops of catchable balls.
  • He air-mailed one to Holmes over the middle and threw three or four other balls that weren't great. 
  • Had a stretch where both Clay and DiMarco had to make very good catches of what should've been better-thrown balls. Also, that one early pass in the flat to Murphy that he missed. 
  • He missed a few blitzes and a couple of those sacks were on him. But the Chargers were really throwing some exotic looks and pressure at him. 
  • Otherwise, he seemed to do well on the short passes. After a year of playing, I guarantee Allen will be getting rid of the ball sooner and cleaner. Hell, he was doing that from first quarter to the 4th. 

I don't get it, the comments on this video in Twitter just rake him over the coals. "Trash" and "LOLs". I don't think they're even watching, just going with the national story that Allen is going to be a bust. Really odd, though, because I see a very promising and poised rookie. 

I'm really excited to see how he progresses this year. Can you imagine what this kid will be able to do in two years time - assuming they actually get him some help? 

Good chance of being an all-pro level QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To me that one was awful but easy to see what happened. You literally never ever practice what Josh did. Roll to your left and throw a 10 yard lob way up in the air. It was just a simple error and something he isn't likely to do. He saw Murphy wide wide open, and instead of throwing it on a line which he would have done if he were covered, or taking a little off and throwing it like a swing pass which he did 3-4 times with success in the game, he just decided to lob it out there because no one was near him, and he just overcompensated and blew it. It was just a dumb decision to throw a pass like you never ever throw. A lot of quarterbacks will say sometimes when a guy is uncovered it isn't as easy as it looks because you are thinking I can't possibly blow this, can I? And it plays games with you. To me it's easily explainable and nothing to do with his inaccuracy, which was a small problem in the game. In fact, two of his completions were a bigger accuracy issue than that fluke play. 

Well poor footwork on short throws is what many observers have identified as a main cause of what they call Allen's "inaccuracy". There is a fair amount of this in his college tape. Don't mean to be argumentative because you know your stuff but I disagree that the pass to Clay in the seam was a good throw. DB recovered well but it sure looked under thrown to me (Clay slowed down) and it was a rope when there should have been more air under it.

18 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well poor footwork on short throws is what many observers have identified as a main cause of what they call Allen's "inaccuracy". There is a fair amount of this in his college tape. Don't mean to be argumentative because you know your stuff but I disagree that the pass to Clay in the seam was a good throw. DB recovered well but it sure looked under thrown to me (Clay slowed down) and it was a rope when there should have been more air under it.

The DB covering Clay was much faster than Clay who is not used to or good at fly patterns. If he lofted it the DB would have had a better chance at it than Clay. And Josh wasn’t looking at him the entire time. Only when he stepped up in the pocket which was just about to collapse did he see Clay and gun it. 

14 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'm not asking for excuses.. I am just calling it the way I saw it and then after I got to review it.

I'm not writing this guy off but he has to get much better.... much better..

Agreed he has got to get better...but he appears to have the tools and motivation to do it.  

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

After watching this, a few thoughts:

This kid has got it all. Give him a year. a half-decent OL and a couple of good receivers, Josh Allen will be a franchise QB in no time. 

• The two INTs were simply a QB trying to make something from nothing. Not really that bad, and he will learn from them.
  • The one deep pass over the middle to Clay in the first half was SOOOO close to a TD...I'd like to see video of the rout and see if where the ball was placed, if Clay dogged it, or if James just made a great play on the ball. 
  • I counted 5 drops of catchable balls.
  • He air-mailed one to Holmes over the middle and threw three or four other balls that weren't great. 
  • Had a stretch where both Clay and DiMarco had to make very good catches of what should've been better-thrown balls. Also, that one early pass in the flat to Murphy that he missed. 
  • He missed a few blitzes and a couple of those sacks were on him. But the Chargers were really throwing some exotic looks and pressure at him. 
  • Otherwise, he seemed to do well on the short passes. After a year of playing, I guarantee Allen will be getting rid of the ball sooner and cleaner. Hell, he was doing that from first quarter to the 4th. 

I don't get it, the comments on this video in Twitter just rake him over the coals. "Trash" and "LOLs". I don't think they're even watching, just going with the national story that Allen is going to be a bust. Really odd, though, because I see a very promising and poised rookie. 

I'm really excited to see how he progresses this year. Can you imagine what this kid will be able to do in two years time - assuming they actually get him some help? 

Good chance of being an all-pro level QB. 

great points...shows that Josh has work to do to get to the next level.  I hope the Bills fans will be patient and the Coaching staff will allow him to grow into a NFL caliber QB.

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I counted 5 drops of catchable balls.

3 drops of interceptable balls, too.

Also, the "drops" you're referring too were almost all pretty difficult catches to make

Allen's toolkit is remarkable.  Dude is strong and his arm is a cannon.  We'll see if he can put it all together.

Edited by Avisan

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Dude's gone Gug.  What does he have to do with Josh 's inaccuracy?

I'm trying to put things into perspective.  I disliked Tyrod's performance because he made stupid, rookie mistakes in his 6th, 7th and 8th year in the league whilst in Buffalo.  In my book, a veteran QB who makes rookie mistakes on a consistent basis, sucks.

There are people on this site who are up in arms about the mistakes Allen made on Sunday.  Well color me pink and roll me in dog****, a true rookie in his first NFL start against the San Diego !@#$ing Chargers actually made mistakes???  

No ****.  He's a rookie.  And he's a rookie QB on the worst team in the league.  Anyone expecting him to look good in his first game is a moron.

That's what this has to do with his inaccuracy.

Edited by Gugny
I fixed a typo. You got a problem with that?
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm trying to put things into perspective.  I disliked Tyrod's performance because he made stupid, rookie mistakes in his 6th, 7th and 8th year in the league whilst in Buffalo.  In my book, a veteran QB who makes rookie mistakes on a consistent basis, sucks.

There are people on this site who are up in arms about the mistakes Allen made on Sunday.  Well color me pink and roll me in dog****, a true rookie in his first NFL start against the San Diego !@#$ing Chargers actually made mistakes???  

No ****.  He's a rookie.  And he's a rookie QB on the worst team in the league.  Anyone expecting him to look good in his first game is a moron.

That's what this has to do with his inaccuracy.

When he took his 7th snap, it was 14-0. 

Given that, I though he was composed. 

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

LOL coming from you.....just LOL

Seriously ALL QBS DO THIS......I honestly dont get why YOU dont get that....you ignore QB play by the rest of the league where QBs make these throws and their WR's are required to make a play on a ball that is area code accurate.......ALL QBS THROW THESE KIND OF PASSES

SOME of the throws were like this....there were also balls that were decently accurate and dropped

Your typical hogwash

Or he is gonna get better with more playing time or maybe even with better pass catching targets (ours are bad) next year?  A much more realistic look then your punchbowl piss

A totally different situation.....Josh Allen pulls the trigger and is willing to work from the pocket when there actually is one.

Just like every rookie QB that is currently playing.  And he already looks much better then he did at Wyoming

Fadingbrain is a top 5 worst poster here with an anti Allen agenda. Best left ignored...

Edited by Fred Clause
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I thought he looked pretty good for a rookie >.<

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

When he took his 7th snap, it was 14-0. 

Given that, I though he was composed. 

Even though Joe is being a wiseass (he can't help it; he's from Jersey), I will agree with both of you.  I was very happy with what I saw from him.  You know why?  Because I had realistic expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Even though Joe is being a wiseass (he can't help it; he's from Jersey), I will agree with both of you.  I was very happy with what I saw from him.  You know why?  Because I had realistic expectations.

I'm not FROM Jersey. I live here.

:P

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm not FROM Jersey. I live here.

:P

The toxins are in your blood by by now. Your DNA is changed. 

And your kids are full on Jersey kids. Why did you not think of your children?

Fortunately the natives can never go further from the state borders than a tank of gas can take them. They are Wall-E hopleless at the pumps. 

Kidding. I love NJ outside of the northern asphalt jungle. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Agreed. Jersey gets a bad rap for that part of the state. The rest is farmlands and great beaches. My wife and I talk about moving to the shore. 

What's great is in the summer, I can get some amazing produce daily.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ddaryl said:

and yet nobody can take an honest observation here.. I can be dishonest if you like

again calling it the way I see it. I would of liked to have seen A LOT MORE POSITIVES. At this junction he looked shaky..

Pointing out every one of his negatives while saying things like "I'm very concerned" is a little over the top

19 hours ago, ddaryl said:

and yet nobody can take an honest observation here.. I can be dishonest if you like

again calling it the way I see it. I would of liked to have seen A LOT MORE POSITIVES. At this junction he looked shaky..

His 7th snap and he’s down 14-0. With your grandmother playing on the offensive line and your great aunt at wide receiver. 

You are going to have to look hard for positives this season. It ain’t going to whack you upside the head with a 2x4. 

I waited until I could watch this video to give my opinion because being at the game it was hard to see where every ball was located, and the video reinforces what I felt in person, that Allen was bad. Allen is missing RBs on wheel routes or in the flat by three feet, and underthrowing deep balls despite the big arm. I fully understand the context of being in his first start, and I'll give him credit for being poised, but this is exactly what Allen was in Wyoming...inaccurate, with no touch.

I hope he improves and look forward to seeing if he can fix his accuracy, but as we have seen in the past, fixing inaccuracy is a tall order.

• Like (+1) 1