Every throw from Josh Allen’s 1st start

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

previously i was critical of Josh's second interception. after watching all the throws, i may be off in that estimation. while his footwork was not perfect, it may have been more of a miscommunication with the receiver. you can see Josh throws it where had the receiver broke out instead of up, he would have probably hit the receiver.

A few of the short misses smelled of this too. He had one in particular to Ivory that looked like a bad throw at first glance, but it was just a miscommunication. Ivory squatted and JA expected him to keep moving into space. This happened at least one other time where he threw the ball exactly where he wanted but the receiver wasn't in the spot. Time and reps will cure misses like this.

Edited by Juice_32
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watching all his throws one on top of the other, you appreciate just how wild and unpredictable his accuracy is.

It is all over the place.  

I thought the best ball he threw all game was the fairly long pass to Charles Clay on the Chargers 20 yard line.  Clay was wide open by at least 5 yards and standing still when Allen threw the ball, and he threw a strike.  That is the type of wide open, standing receiver Tyrod would throw to as well.

His big pass to Zay Jones (that Jones bobbled and almost dropped) was under thrown by 10 yards.  It was so badly thrown that the DB was out of position by the time the ball arrived and on top of it, the DB decided to stop playing defense for a while.  Very strange play.  If that throw is repeated 9 more times, it is probably intercepted 5 times.

Even on short dump offs, ball placement is just awkward enough to make the receiver work to catch the ball and often have to be put off stride or off balance in order to make the catch.  A few throws featured such awkward (but perhaps catchable) ball placement that the receiver in fact did not catch the ball.

Folks around here are not seeing what is on the field yet.  That is because we are desperate for a Messiah, we know we gave up a lot of value to get Josh, and we can see he is big and has a strong arm.  He looks the part of a real QB.

Eventually, his accuracy issues, inability to read defenses, hesitation in throwing, and unwillingness to throw receivers open or anticipate open receivers before they are open will catch up to him.

It took a while for most folks here to want to replace Tyrod too.  

Josh needs to greatly improve the weaknesses in his game, and the narrative that he had already addressed them with improved footwork is not accurate IMO.

It's really difficult to say that his bomb to Josh was 10 yards too short when it was 64 yards in the air moving to his left. I suppose if you think a QB can throw a ball 75 yards in the air right on the money moving to his left under a rush, you have a good point.

The DB had to play catch up because he never thought the ball would be coming. He had no real chance to get the ball that was short, only Zay did who saw it coming. Not a bad ball at all.

Seeing a lot of conversation as expected about his play, but that TD pass was a beauty and been a while since we've seen one zipped in like that.

Again I'll be an optimist until proven otherwise as he was a high first round pick and can't afford for him to be a disaster.

Would be nice if he had some receivers.  

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The best thing about Allen yesterday was running over to Sideline after Ivroy’s TD and firing up the Defense. 

Leadership Qualities (you have them or your dont). Rest can be coached 

I liked that too. You can tell he’s used to leading a team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Yes, but your observation isn't taking into account that it's his first start. you're grading him as if he's a veteran. so it's disingenuous.

"im very concerned at this junction" 

What junction? the first game he's ever played? you say that phrase when it's like year two and he's not leading WRs. you're being a contrarian. 

I think he means 'juncture'. He must be a rookie.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

huh

our whining, complaining, crying- how does mcbean lose your faith 18 games in ? after a playoff year i dont get it

the talent level on this team is not high enough you cant get everything taken care of in one year

despite what jarhead white claims on wgr- there a reason he's not in the nfl in any capacity

Edited by CardinalScotts

35 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seeing a lot of conversation as expected about his play, but that TD pass was a beauty and been a while since we've seen one zipped in like that.

Again I'll be an optimist until proven otherwise as he was a high first round pick and can't afford for him to be a disaster.

Would be nice if he had some receivers.  

Actually it hasn't been a while. Flame throwing a dart accurately through a narrow window is something JA has always been pretty good at. We saw him do it  in the Panthers game (to Ray Ray), the Browns (to Streater), the Bengals (to Benjamin) and again yesterday vs Chargers (Benji again). It's a tough throw and it's great that he can make it. But it's also part of the problem. Too many of his intermediate and deeper throws are ropes with not enuf air under them (like the under thrown  pass to Clay yesterday). Taking the pedal off the metal without sacrificing quickness of release and accuracy is what he must learn to do. Getting to better know his WRs and improving his field vision and anticipation are also on the list. The pass to Ray Ray vs the Panthers was great but he had at least one much easier read if he had been able to recognize it (don't recall who the WR was).

There was plenty to like and plenty to dislike in the performance yesterday. The sample size is simply too small to come up with a genuine evaluation going forward. And guess, what? That sample size will still be too small after next week and the week after. The kid is going to need time to develop -- not only because he is a rookie and everyone needs to be patient, but because he also has a horrible supporting cast.

I look back at our last two first-round QBs.

1. Losman. From day one, he never looked ready. The stage seemed too large for him, and he had that proverbial deer-in-the-headlights look. But the arm talent and athleticism seemed to be there, so I kept hoping that over time, he would improve but he never appreciably did. He had flaws (ability to read a defense, poor accuracy, etc.) that he never corrected, and that deer-in-the-headlights syndrome never went away. Say what you will about Allen and any shortcomings he displayed in yesterday's game, but he never had that "Where the heck am I?" look that we saw all to often with Losman.

2. It is easy to forget that EJ actually looked halfway decent in his first two starts (against the Pats and Panthers) respectively. The problem is that those first two games would represent more of a high-water mark for him rather than the start of something great. The QB position is the most unique position in all of sports. You really have to be born to play the position -- all the while improving your craft as you go along. EJ had all of the physical traits and by all accounts he is a bright guy with leadership qualities. But for whatever reason, these ingredients never meshed to make him a natural QB. Everything always seemed so rehearsed and unnatural. Again, with Allen yesterday he did look very natural standing in the pocket.

So there is hope. He clearly has all of the physical tools. I also like that he also seemed confident and did not panic while standing in the pocket. If he can correct the deficiencies, then we have something special here. Time will tell whether he will be able to improve in those areas -- but after one, seriously ONE, NFL start it is hard for me to understand why anyone would be CONCERNED. Progress is the key here. As long as we see progression, even if they are baby steps, there is plenty of reason for optimism. Anyone who can't see that either has a silly agenda to root against the kid -- or has unreasonable expectations about what he should be able to do this early in his career.

• Like (+1) 3