Players choosing to retire from Bills

Vontae Davis makes the 4th player to Retire from the Bills, rather than play for the Bills, in a little over a year. I know Eric Wood was not by choice, but Anquan Boldin and Richie Incognito both seemed like they still wanted to play. Maybe McDermott isn't as inspirational as we all think he is. He has kept Kyle around at least. So far...

Just now, DieHardBillsFan said:

Anquan Boldin and Richie Incognito both seemed like they still wanted to play

Have either of those guys played for another NFL team since they retired? If you say "it seems like they wanted to play", you'd think they'd be on an NFL roster at this point. 

Just now, rodneykm said:

Have either of those guys played for another NFL team since they retired? If you say "it seems like they wanted to play", you'd think they'd be on an NFL roster at this point. 

Seemed, since they were added to the team and were playing for the Bills. Both had comments about wanting to come back out of retirement after leaving. Both did decide to retire while members of the Bills. I like McDermott, but this is starting to seem odd.

8 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Vontae Davis makes the 4th player to Retire from the Bills, rather than play for the Bills, in a little over a year. I know Eric Wood was not by choice, but Anquan Boldin and Richie Incognito both seemed like they still wanted to play. Maybe McDermott isn't as inspirational as we all think he is. He has kept Kyle around at least. So far...

I don't think you can make sense of Richie at all.  He wanted to play, then did, now he does again....recently wanted to decapitate is dead father.  Prior to that, he was held in a psych ward.  I don't think Richie knows how to make a well thought out choice.  Wood was forced to retire so it wasn't his choice.

Boldin and Davis did quit.  At least Boldin retired before the season started.  That's not uncommon for a guy to be in camp late in their career and decide to hang them up.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe the culture is too demanding for these guys to grind through a rebuild.

Maybe they come from a country club locker room and don’t like not being coddled. 

Richie can’t count- he’s lost his mind. He accepted a pay cut to keep playing in Buffalo, then went all Jekal and Hyde.   

Wood wasn’t happy about leaving. 

I dont think there is anything to see here. 

Everyone knows its not a 2018 playoff team, but it could be a 2020 Super Bowl team. 

Boldin? He only Indicated interest in playing for pats afterward. Well sure, a one legged WR would take that one last shot at glory. Who wouldn’t?? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

if it happens every week there might be a correlation

And to a bunch of other teams too but in a much classier way than the way Davis did it . This year alone there has been quite a few retirements before the actual season started ! 

This year Eric Decker, Ritchie Incognito, Vontae Davis, all retired during the start of the pre or regular season & there are quite a few more that decided just prior to the preseason like DeMarco Murray that called it a career so maybe it's just the changing of the guard or something in the water !!

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe the culture is too demanding for these guys to grind through a rebuild.

Maybe they come from a country club locker room and don’t like not being coddled. 

Richie can’t count- he’s lost his mind. He accepted a pay cut to keep playing in Buffalo, then went all Jekal and Hyde.   

Wood wasn’t happy about leaving. 

I dont think there is anything to see here. 

Everyone knows its not a 2018 playoff team, but it could be a 2020 Super Bowl team. 

I would have completely agreed to all this, until Vontae Davis quit mid-game. This is what made me take a second look. It's unprecedented. Especially for someone uninjured, was going to play, and a respected player in the league. 

1 minute ago, T master said:

And to a bunch of other teams too but in a much classier way than the way Davis did it . This year alone there has been quite a few retirements before the actual season started ! 

This year Eric Decker, Ritchie Incognito, Vontae Davis, all retired during the start of the pre or regular season & there are quite a few more that decided just prior to the preseason like DeMarco Murray that called it a career so maybe it's just the changing of the guard or something in the water !!

Decker was going be cut and he knew it. Better to retire than be cut and never be signed again.

13 minutes ago, T master said:

it's a disappointing way for him to go out

for a job like the NFL i would guess that once you've had enough, you've really had enough and there's no point going on

Boldin was never really a Bill.  That's ridiculous to add him.   Incognito retired then said he was coming back.  They waited for him to arrive back and he no showed, then they unretired him and released him.  As OP pointed out, Wood was not by choice.

That leaves Vontae......and this total thread fail.

I'm surprised you don't see more players doing it. Imagine for a moment you're a 10-year vet with a beat up body,  you're on a team that clearly is headed for a losing season, and you have millions of dollars in the bank. There are hundreds of pro athletes in that exact situation; considering the injury risk in the NFL now, I'm surprised anyone plays more than a couple years beyond their rookie contract anymore. 

That being said, I would expect players to retire early in the off-season rather than mid-game...

Edited by skibum

56 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Davis: washed up.  Boldin: where is he now???   Incognito: went crazy.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Head cases........every one of them.

more than a fair share of them

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Davis: washed up.  Boldin: where is he now???   Incognito: went crazy.   

that's how it often ends

getting out of it with your mind and health and sanity mostly intact seems like winning the lottery

some also are set for life financially on top of it

22 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

I would have completely agreed to all this, until Vontae Davis quit mid-game. This is what made me take a second look. It's unprecedented. Especially for someone uninjured, was going to play, and a respected player in the league. 

Two more reasons not to worry 

1) it’s been pretty clear he shouldn’t be playing, he just realized it too. 

2) the rest of the team was furious with him. If guys were ambivalent or sympathetic then it would speak to an issue, but the players showed zero empathy 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1