I don't think the Pegulas signed off on this

zow2

Signed off on what? Correcting a bad situation? Thats exactly what they are attempting to do. We'll have quite a bit of money after this year. It also looks like we have several solid pieces on defense and a potential elite QB under control for several years. The offensive line and WR's definitely need an overhaul. Guess what the money will be used for?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You haven’t been paying attention if you don’t believe what’s happening is planned. After the Rex blunder the Pegula’s spoke about learning how they need to do things differently. Safe to safe they learned that you can patch together middling seasons while over spending and never win anything, or you can tear it down and get a stud QB and then profit.

It is painful to watch, the effort was better in the 2nd half but it’s a better approach for the long term.

We have had 17 years of patchwork- plugging holes with spare parts to make it work.  That got us a lot of mediocre teams that were always close but not quite, gave us hope every year that they might just pull it off, but never did.  Going back to 2006, we have had one 4 win season (2010), the rest are mostly 6 or 7 wins, sometimes 8 or 9.  

They are doing the right thing by changing strategies as painful as that is right now. For a long time now many have been saying it is time to tear down and start over... that's exactly what is happening here.  Will it work?  Only time will tell.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, One Buffalo said:

We have had 17 years of patchwork- plugging holes with spare parts to make it work.  That got us a lot of mediocre teams that were always close but not quite, gave us hope every year that they might just pull it off, but never did.  Going back to 2006, we have had one 4 win season (2010), the rest are mostly 6 or 7 wins, sometimes 8 or 9.  

They are doing the right thing by changing strategies as painful as that is right now. For a long time now many have been saying it is time to tear down and start over... that's exactly what is happening here.  Will it work?  Only time will tell.  

YAS

Excellent, mi amigo.

26 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

some of these younger guys need time to progress. I thought the second half of the charger game we started to see a little life in the team and more of what they wanted for this year. A competitive team. Low on talent but hard working

Right. I can root for the 2nd half team even if we lose a lot of games. That team gives me hope for the future. The team that showed up against the Ravens and the 1st half yesterday was bad enough to make you question the whole staff. McDermott needs to retain play calling responsibilities moving forward. If he does that and Allen shows progress we can all enjoy this year for what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

They signed off on it when they refused to hire a football executive, and allowed him to make all the decisions on the football side of the house...including hiring the GM and HC.  You know what happens when you let Mr. & Mrs. Moneybags make the decisions?  You end up hiring the HC before the GM, and prior to that you let PT Barnum convince you not to let Rex leave without a contract.

All the salary cap dollars in the world, aren't going to fix the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

What makes you think they didn't? Its been widely talked about they expected this to have started last year...we ended up with an unexpectedly good year out od the team and made the playoffs last year but this was pretty much the plan from the beginning. They starting jettisoning players and bad contracts but somehow still made enough plays to win.

If the Pegulas didnt sign off on them doing it their way they wouldnt be here doing it. Simple as that.

You act like they are pulling the wool over the owners eyes. Pretty sure they let them know we were in for a rough few years before they got the roster where they wanted it.  Im not saying what they are doing will work but to sit there and say the Pegulas didn't know this is what would happen is ludicrous.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Most regimes get 3 years to prove it.  I don't think anything changes this year but if we are half-way through the 2019 season and still look bad, and Allen isn't developing.  I think Pegula has to make a change.  

As many holes as McBean has created I would not expect them to be very competitive next year either. That brings us to 2020 where hopefully they can be back to a .500 team. So we're realistically looking at 2021 to be a serious contender.  

This all predicated on no one getting a serious injury and creating another hole to be filled. 

You don't complete tear down and rebuild in the NFL because injuries are so prevalent and the seriousness is so unpredictable.  

Edited by pop gun
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

As many holes as McBean has created I would not expect them to be very competitive next year either. That brings us to 2020 where hopefully they can be back to a .500 team. So were realistically looking at 2021 to be a serious contender.  

This all predicated on no one getting a serious injury and creating another hole to be filled. 

You don't complete tear down and rebuild in the NFL because injuries are so prevalent and the seriousness is so unpredictable.  

Fast forward to 2021...Tre White will be a F/A, they let him walk, and draft another 1st round CB.  Rinse and repeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There's just no way that I can come up with a scenario that Terry and Kim signed off on a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Certainly not to be the laughinstocks of the NFL.  
He has gone through years of pain dealing with that on the NHL side.  Now I get that McBeane sold to them in the offseason,, that Buffalo has to get through a season with a ton of dead cap money, and will have to work in a rookie QB.  But I also believe they were told they have a gamer in Peterman, a vet in McCarron to stabilize the ship, a solid Defense coming off a playoff season...
and some free agents to add to the mix.  I have no doubt the Pegulas were told they might take a step back, but no way they would become a league joke and risk alienating his football fanbase
like what happened to his NHL fansbase.   In the NFL, you don't have to SUCK to build a winner.  What you do is you stay relevant and reload at the positions of need as attrition happens. 

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be walking around pissed off today.  Yes=- Allen looks decent but the amount of holes they have to fill are staggering.  Some of the players McBeane thought
would be decent are not playing well or have been flat out released. I don't get some of their roster moves. For example, why would a team desperate for a good, solid posssession receiver would get rid of O'Leary and keep Logan Thomas?  That dude can't play the position or be trusted to catch a pass.

Overall, the McBeane era has taken a huge hit this year for me.  I had a ton of faith in them, but it's wavering.  

Can´t defend any the moves you listed here, however L Thomas as a TE was ¨sold¨ as a move to have a 3rd QB and save one roster spot, just my 2 cents

18 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Signed off on what? Correcting a bad situation? Thats exactly what they are attempting to do. We'll have quite a bit of money after this year. It also looks like we have several solid pieces on defense and a potential elite QB under control for several years. The offensive line and WR's definitely need an overhaul. Guess what the money will be used for?

OK great the bills have a lot of money. Who are they going to overspend on?

Who are those O-line and WR's that are going to be brought in? Everyone thinks WAtkins contract is terrible, but guess what. Any Top WR the Bills bring in they are going to have to spend 10MM+ a year on. Are Cobb or Golden Tate worth that?

They also have to want to come here.  

• Like (+1) 2

I'm glad so many are Ok with the Sabres-like, tear it down and rebuild with a barely competitive team.   

I hope Josh Allen can stay healthy out there and develop.  And I guess I should hope by 2020 that we can start winning some games.

Everyone wants dessert but nobody wants to wait for the chef to make it. "Now! Give it to me, NOW NOW NOW, it should be on my plate right NOW! Anything less is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, I know, because I have less Cheeto dust on my ratty-ass t-shirt than the other Bills fan!"

I'll tell you what the Pegulas didn't sign up for, having to find new coaches every other year within the first few years of their tenure as NFL team owners. They intended on keeping Marrone, he's a moody, weird jackass who quit. They goofed with Rex Ryan but McDermott and Beane? They think extremely highly of these guys and they know the only way to obtain long-term success is by going through the difficult times, letting the young, core players of this team gain experience and continue to fill out the team as they go.

They're cleaning up a cap mess from a previous regime. 

I've seen fans piss and moan that the team doesn't do enough in the draft. Beane has been extremely active in trades and was very active in his first full draft as a GM.

"They did NOTHING to address the OL!" They didn't? No one recalls that they made a big push for right tackle Ricky Wagner? Then traded up in the second round to get Dion Dawkins, who, at this time last year, was "way better than Glenn, they should trade Glenn!" so they did, and now it's, "Oh, those idiots never shoulda traded a past-his-prime OT with mounting injuries!"

"They did NOTHING to address the WR group!" They didn't? They made a push for Jeremy Maclin, he decided to sign elsewhere. They signed Anquan Boldin, he decided to retire. They traded up for Zay Jones. They traded for Kelvin Benjamin. Has it been pretty? No, and it's not always going to be that way. But to say they aren't trying to address these things is flat out wrong. Keep in mind, they've chosen to be a team that throws the ball the fewest times in the league over the last three seasons. 

And now Vontae Davis goes and does something completely unprecedented and people are trying to twist that into, "oh it's a poor look on the decision makers!" Really? So, in addition to needing an absolute, infallible laser-eye for talent, Beane and his team need to be fortune tellers now as well? "Oh, well, a signing like that just shows that they're scraping the bottom of the FA barrel!" Maybe they are, but look at the money they had to spend this year. They couldn't go out there and just wave around bags of cash and scream at players to come sign here. It's as if people forget that players must also AGREE to sign here. But oh, that's right, when a player leaves the building after an FA visit, that's all on Beane and his crew. Those frickin' failures! They're supposed to chain up any visiting player and slap him in the face with a contract until he signs it, I forgot.

They tuned up the secondary, it looks like they've found their linebackers. I think we'd all like to see more pressure from that front four but it looked like they were dialing up some more successful calls in the second half yesterday. And if they're gonna pick top five next year, well, they'll have their choice of some premiere DL because the DL class is loaded.

And it's clear that they've intended on constructing defense first with a plan to still lean heavily on D and the run game while their young QB learns on the fly. I'm sure they'll put more emphasis on the offense in 2019. 

Has everything been perfect? No. It's not supposed to be. The road to success isn't an easy, flat path. There's curves, bumps, hell, the road to success looks like a lot of the roads in Buffalo right after winter and the snowplows have beat the crap out of them.

I know it sucks to watch your favorite team lose. But we've gotta let these guys work and stop questioning every single little thing they do. Every team makes mistakes. Every team signs a guy that doesn't work out. Every team goes through a period of growing pains as young players gain experience. And if you hired an entirely new staff from top to bottom every other year then you're making absolutely sure that your team never becomes a contender.

"Clean house" and "start over" are terms I've seen all over this board and the old Bills message board for ages. The people clamoring for that finally get what they want and two games into it they're ready to throw in the towel? For years I've seen people flip out about Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy & Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, etc. Nix didn't deal around in the draft. Whaley gave out terrible deals (keep in mind, Whaley re-signed guys like Glenn, Dareus and Hughes after seasons in which they played at a high level, had he not re-signed them and they went elsewhere, he woulda been vilified for "letting their top talent walk out the door for nothing!")

Enter McBeane... they're one of the most active FO's in terms of trades and dealing around draft picks, doing things that many fans have been wanting to see for years. And now that's not good enough either. "Show us the baby, show us the baby!" Cripes, does the baby come out dressed to the nines and ready to take on the town right from the jump? No. It has to be nurtured, complimented with other assets, built up with certain skills, placed in a position to succeed. 

Has McBeane done everything perfectly? No, and again, no team does. But they're taking chances. They're inquiring on available players. They're inquiring about players on the trade block. They're cleaning up a cap mess, they've drafted who they believe is their franchise QB, they've found who they believe is their long-term starter at left tackle, they've found their long-term #1 cornerback, they've got their QB of the defense who just happens to be one of the freakiest athletes in the league. But, oh, they couldn't see into their crystal ball and see that Patrick Mahomes was gonna light the league on fire in his first two starts. Dang them! Those friggin' losers! As if Mahomes would have the same results here. If Mahomes was here, he'd be having games like Allen had yesterday and people would be ready to be done with him as well. Andy Reid is one of the greatest QB coaches in history and happens to have a team that is absolutely stacked in skill positions. Mahomes is in an ideal situation. Allen isn't, but he has the fortitude and mental toughness to deal with that, take his lumps and grow with this team as opposed to coming into a situation where the team was already set to go. 

It ain't perfect. They're out there doing what they can with what they got. Do I agree with everything they've done? Nah. I really would like to see them find a long-time veteran QB to bring in here for Allen. Someone that's been around, someone who's seen all the looks and fronts, someone Allen can come to on the sideline and ask, "What'd you see?" and get answers. 

But I understand that this stuff takes time. Question the process? Yeah, sure. Waver on your trust? That's fine too. But if you think the answer is getting rid of these guys and starting all over again, that's not the way to go about it. 

The Pegulas most certainly signed off on this. They have a great deal of faith and respect for Beane and McDermott and they are going to let these guys handle their business and not get in their way. 

If things are still the same two, three years from now, then we can really say that the process isn't working. Until then, I'mma let these dudes do their thing.

And, this is just myself here, but for this season, I'm obviously still a fan, but I'm not going to let the losses or the bad plays get to me. For me, I'm observing and looking for improvements. Makes watching the games a little easier. Heck, you can even appreciate a good play for the opposing team. Case in point, Rivers to Mike Williams for their first TD yesterday. Bills were in the right look, the coverage was good, it's just not many QB's aside from a 15-year vet like Philip Rivers are even gonna attempt that throw and Mike Williams is just a big dude who made the play. It happens.

Let 'em work. Watch, observe, look for improvements in certain areas. It's gonna get better.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

What I'm sure of is the Pegula's didn't sign off on continued mediocrity.  The Bills showed during the playoff drought that if you just keep plugging holes every year without having a long term plan in place it's pretty easy to finish around .500 in this league (9-7 two times 8-8 three times 7-9 four times during the drought).  I don't think that we can draw too many conclusions from what the McBeane legacy will be remembered for at least until next year when they are not eating 54 mil. in dead cap money.

This was not the plan. It has spiraled out of control into an unmitigated disaster.  

The team has lost the respect of the fo and the only way they can show their contempt is on the field. 

Our owners should stop the bleeding now and fire these frauds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

There's just no way that I can come up with a scenario that Terry and Kim signed off on a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Certainly not to be the laughinstocks of the NFL.  
He has gone through years of pain dealing with that on the NHL side.  Now I get that McBeane sold to them in the offseason,, that Buffalo has to get through a season with a ton of dead cap money, and will have to work in a rookie QB.  But I also believe they were told they have a gamer in Peterman, a vet in McCarron to stabilize the ship, a solid Defense coming off a playoff season...
and some free agents to add to the mix.  I have no doubt the Pegulas were told they might take a step back, but no way they would become a league joke and risk alienating his football fanbase
like what happened to his NHL fansbase.   In the NFL, you don't have to SUCK to build a winner.  What you do is you stay relevant and reload at the positions of need as attrition happens. 

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be walking around pissed off today.  Yes=- Allen looks decent but the amount of holes they have to fill are staggering.  Some of the players McBeane thought
would be decent are not playing well or have been flat out released. I don't get some of their roster moves. For example, why would a team desperate for a good, solid posssession receiver would get rid of O'Leary and keep Logan Thomas?  That dude can't play the position or be trusted to catch a pass.

Overall, the McBeane era has taken a huge hit this year for me.  I had a ton of faith in them, but it's wavering.  

Dude Logan Thomas caught a pass yesterday blocking is his problem. Are you the caller who was complaining about O’Leary on wgr too? If so give it a break. 

And how how are you suppose to just reload when you have cap issues and no young talent on the roster. I know it’s painful but beane is doing the right thing right now. 

9 minutes ago, COTC said:

This was not the plan. It has spiraled out of control into an unmitigated disaster.  

The team has lost the respect of the fo and the only way they can show their contempt is on the field. 

Our owners should stop the bleeding now and fire these frauds. 

I am having a difficult time determining the subject and predicate in this sentence....

8 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Dude Logan Thomas caught a pass yesterday blocking is his problem. Are you the caller who was complaining about O’Leary on wgr too? If so give it a break. 

And how how are you suppose to just reload when you have cap issues and no young talent on the roster. I know it’s painful but beane is doing the right thing right now. 

Logan Thomas stinks!  and no I never call WGR.   So i guess two of us have a beef with that move.  

And for everyone trying to educate me on why Mcbeane are so smart and clearing up past mistakes.  I get it.  But you will never convince me it hasn't spiraled out of control, in a bad way.  They weren't supposed to be THIS bad and the joke of the league.  I'm sorry, the Pegulas were not expecting THAT.  It's not good for business.  There's no fool-proof evidence that sucking and having draft picks will make you into a contender.